Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint protection film

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Personal preference. Even if you do decide to get PPF, you have to decide what part of the car. I personally went with just the front bumper and lights. Give me a little peace of mind. I had that professionally installed since I failed at my attempt.

I did the rear pillar myself as that was pretty easy. I also would recommend ceramic coating your Tesla.

Upvote 0
You better decide soon. Clear PPF needs to be put on a perfect paint surface, otherwise you're going to pay extra for paint correction.

I have clear PPF on front (everything: Nose, hood, etc), side mirrors, and lower 1/4 of the 4 side doors (rocker area I think it's called)? I really appreciate it because chips and dings bother me. As vehicles become more aerodynamic (sloped hoods) and use painted nose cones, paint damage increases.

That being said, PPF is not really a "financial" decision. Thus, if these things don't bother you then skip it.

Also, if you live in an area with a lot of gravel or that uses gravel for snowy roads, then you should have the mud flaps on front and rear wheel wells. Like many newer car today, the wheels are well outside of the body and will fling road debris on the plastic rockers and side doors.

Upvote 0
Thanks for all responses. It seems PPF is important.

But PPF or Ceremic coating? Or can you really have both (very expensive for both?) ?
You can have both but they are different things altogether. PPF is just that it protects the paint. It is thicker (and has some self-healing properties). Ceramic does not really protect the paint from rocks or debris, but helps your paint look last longer. It does protect from the UV rays the sun produces that can dull your paint. Ceramic over PPF does a similar thing protecting the PPF from the sun. PPF is a film put on the car, ceramic is a liquid coating.
Also there is PPF that can change the way the paint looks (similar to a wrap, but with more protection). I did that. I have Xpel stealth on my car giving it a satin matte look.

Upvote 0
Thanks for all responses. It seems PPF is important.

But PPF or Ceremic coating? Or can you really have both (very expensive for both?) ?
It's only important if paint chips is something that really bothers you and if you have the budget for it. Just to get the front bumper done is going to run you around $500+

Entire car PPF is around the $5000+ range. Prices vary depending on your location.

Upvote 0
I PPFed my entire Feb 2022 MSLR myself.
DIY PPF on 2022 Blue Model S
I used precut Xpel PPF and put Gtechniq Halo on top. It has been a year since doing this and has saved the paint from rock chips in several places. Most chip protection happened in front of the rear wheels where the body flares out. A couple spots on the hood. One or two spots in front bumper. The ceramic coating has helped to make cleaning much easier. Halo is designed to be applied on PPF and is supposed to last "up to two years". I detail my car after every day it gets out with Gtechniq detailer. I also apply Gtechniq ceramic sealer after every full wash to refresh the ceramic slickness. It gets washed about once a month. I do feel contaminants embedded in places and so I want to redo the ceramic coating in a few months.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ultimately, the decision of whether to get paint protection for your new Tesla Y is up to you. Weather conditions and driving habits can have a bearing on how quickly your car's paint may degrade over time. If your area has extreme weather conditions or if you find yourself frequently parking in areas with rough surfaces, then getting paint protection could be beneficial in protecting your car's paint. Additionally, if you are looking to keep your car in mint condition over the long-term, then protection could be a good investment. Ultimately, making an informed decision based on factors like budget and expected level of wear-and-tear is the best way to make sure that you are protecting both your car and wallet.

Good luck!

Joseph
From Precision Auto Styling

Upvote 0
PPF is overrated in my opinion. Paying $5k+ is not worth it on a 60k vehicle. Also, I don't think it adds much value when you sell.

While I ultimately believe "value" is in the eye of the beholder.....im in the "not worth it for me" camp. $6-10k to paint protect my lambos....yes certainly. $6k to protect a daily beater? No thanks.

Upvote 0
I had XPel PPF on my Corvette. I can appreciate it on a garage queen type car for those who can afford it and want to keep it pristine, but I’m not sold on it as a daily driver. PPF is not Kevlar, so you can still get rock chips. I got a very noticeable one on the nose my Vette just after 3 weeks of PPF being installed. PPF does give the paint a plastic look too, so it is noticeable. Just something to think about before committing to a major expense.

Upvote 0
I just got a piece to cover the nose of my M3 , headlights and fog lights. DIY and about 1/15 the price wrapping the car or about 1/8 the price of wrapping the front. I drive through some desert roads and the blowing sand can leave some damage. Typicality it’s just the very front. Up to now I have not seen any damage on the hood or fenders from this. The kit I got is cheap enough to try and if it works. Awesome. If not, meh. Didn’t break the bank

Upvote 0
I had clear Xpel ultimate in my white BMW F83, for a white car it’s a big no, I’d just get the bumper and hood. Now with my new pew MYP MSW, I went with a Matte finish, looks dirty when clean and dirty. Getting my wife 23 MYLR in wrapped in the STEK - Dyno Purple. Ppf is for rock chips not cinderblocks or road debris that normally fall of from folks who don’t clamp their stuff down. Here is a classic example of driving in NJ road for the past 5 years without PPF on coworker’s highlander. See pic.

Attachments

• 2E50D8EB-EFE3-4899-9512-ACA07C2CB900.jpeg
    2E50D8EB-EFE3-4899-9512-ACA07C2CB900.jpeg
    399.2 KB · Views: 88
Upvote 0