Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint protection on a lease?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Around here we get a lot of rocks flying around, so I've always put some sort of invisible bra on my cars. It's not a perfect solution, but it helps cover the main areas. But these are always cars that I've owned so I didn't mind spending a few grand on those. I'm planning on leasing the Model 3.

Are you even allowed to put an invisible bra on a leased car? If you are, and I don't, and there is paint chip damage when I turn it in will I get penalized? What about things like door dings, curb rash and minor bumper scratches? Do you get penalized for those sorts of things? Do they expect the car to be pristine when you return it? Or are you allowed some normal wear and tear?

Since you will probably get badly burned at the end of the lease for external damage, getting a front wrap is probably wise.
But you don't need one guaranteed for 10 years, just one you can remove before you turn in the car.

BTW: Read your lease agreement. That'll spell out what level of damage triggers demerits.

So now it's just about aesthetic. What color is the primer on the blue Model 3? If it's white/gray then chips will be super obvious. If it's dark/black then it may not be that bad. I don't want it to look like sh*t even if I do only keep it for 3 years.

Never done any PPF on any of my leases. Typically if the bump or dent is less than the size of a quarter it’s considered wear and tear (with most manufacturers).

Cost of a decent PPF will be $2k+. For that price you can fix any dent, paint the front of the car and still have some money to spare.

Instead of PPF on a leased car, I might consider investing in an insurance product like these:

Excess Wear and Tear - Vehicle Protection Plan | AutoNation

https://www.ally.com/resources/pdf/dealer/smartlease_protect_brochure.pdf

Two cars ago, I leased a Chevy Volt and luckily I had a similar insurance product. I returned the Volt with about $2,500 in body damage and it was all covered by the insurance policy.

If you don't understand the drawbacks of leasing and the financial risks of the turn-in process, you shouldn't be leasing.

The financial risks at turn-in include:
1) Excess mileage
2) Non-trivial damage (in the eyes of the inspector, not yours), both internal and external
3) Mismatched or excessively worn tires

PPF the front bumper and partial hood and front fenders. That is where you get the biggest bang for your money.
Go to Xpel.com put in your car and it shows the kits and the installed prices. Check for a dealer in your area.
Headlamps and fog lamps - 69.95 Front bumper 419.95 Hood fender and mirrors bikini cut 301.88
You can do more but I think this will cover the most likely to chip places.

Paint Protection Film Pre-Cut Kits