Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint protection pricing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all!

Just curious what you all are getting in terms of pricing for paint protection on model Xs? I am doing Xpel Full hood, Bumper, Fender, Side mirrors, and full Ceramic pro coating with 5 year warranty and tinting front windows for $3500. Does that seem pretty reasonable? Im in california.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
Ceramic coating is a huge waste of money I would advise against it.. my none ceramic coated Xs paint that is 3 years older than my 3 that was coated looks way better.. and many of my friends who have also done the ceramic coating by different companies were all disappointed with the effects of the coating.. they over promise what it does substantially

Upvote 0
Hello all!

Just curious what you all are getting in terms of pricing for paint protection on model Xs? I am doing Xpel Full hood, Bumper, Fender, Side mirrors, and full Ceramic pro coating with 5 year warranty and tinting front windows for $3500. Does that seem pretty reasonable? Im in california.
That seems reasonable. When I did our Y I was quoted 1800 for full front with Xpel and 1500 iirc for ceramic. I'm pretty handy myself so I had them do the PPF and I did ceramic myself for 100 in materials. I would just make sure your installer is certified and honors the Xpel warranty.

Upvote 0
Ceramic coating is a huge waste of money I would advise against it.. my none ceramic coated Xs paint that is 3 years older than my 3 that was coated looks way better.. and many of my friends who have also done the ceramic coating by different companies were all disappointed with the effects of the coating.. they over promise what it does substantially
It doesnt give it that shiny look? I have a black model X and wanted it to be blinding shiny haha

Upvote 0
Thank you! Do you feel like the ceramic coating is worth it?
Hell yes. I used a cheapo product off Amazon to prove it. From my research the ceramic coating is only as good as the surface it's going on top of. Thus the time it takes to actually apply the ceramic is not a lot, it's easy to apply and buff. What takes real time is the paint correction. Our cars come w/o paint correction from the factory so it's covered in orange peel. Orange peel doesn't shine very well and it is visible when you are less than a few feet away. See all those small ripples in your clearcoat? This is where the true cost of a ceramic job comes in, it's the labor to cut and polish the factory clear coat! It could take up to 10 hours depending on surface area and that's why it cost so much. The actual products used imo doesn't make a huge difference buyt you know some brands like to talk up their compound as super special. I didn't buy it so I tried a product on the much cheaper end of the scale. Anyways I broke out the orbital and spent a few days cutting and polishing the paint that is not under the PPF. The PPF shop did paint correction for the areas that they covered etc. Then I applied the ceramic in sections, covering the whole car. The ceramic effectively seals in that level of shine into the car as long as the ceramic lasts which is typically a couple of years. You can increase that by using a booster, a si02 spray that replenishes the coating between washes.

Upvote 0
Hell yes. I used a cheapo product off Amazon to prove it. From my research the ceramic coating is only as good as the surface it's going on top of. Thus the time it takes to actually apply the ceramic is not a lot, it's easy to apply and buff. What takes real time is the paint correction. Our cars come w/o paint correction from the factory so it's covered in orange peel. Orange peel doesn't shine very well and it is visible when you are less than a few feet away. See all those small ripples in your clearcoat? This is where the true cost of a ceramic job comes in, it's the labor to cut and polish the factory clear coat! It could take up to 10 hours depending on surface area and that's why it cost so much. The actual products used imo doesn't make a huge difference buyt you know some brands like to talk up their compound as super special. I didn't buy it so I tried a product on the much cheaper end of the scale. Anyways I broke out the orbital and spent a few days cutting and polishing the paint that is not under the PPF. The PPF shop did paint correction for the areas that they covered etc. Then I applied the ceramic in sections, covering the whole car. The ceramic effectively seals in that level of shine into the car as long as the ceramic lasts which is typically a couple of years. You can increase that by using a booster, a si02 spray that replenishes the coating between washes.
Awesome!!! You really know your stuff on paint protection! I believe they are putting the Xpel on first and then ceramic coating on top of that. So you are saying they need to do a paint correction even if the car is brand new? Thanks again!

Upvote 0
Awesome!!! You really know your stuff on paint protection! I believe they are putting the Xpel on first and then ceramic coating on top of that. So you are saying they need to do a paint correction even if the car is brand new? Thanks again!
Yes, they need to cut and buff the clear coat before applying either product. Make sure you let them know your expectations for the level of shine too.

Reactions: DrRam
Upvote 0
It doesnt give it that shiny look? I have a black model X and wanted it to be blinding shiny haha
It’ll give it a shine when they do it.. then it’ll get dirty and you will have to wash and hand dry and apply some sort of coating to make it shine like you want again just like a car without the coating.. total waste of money and anyone who says otherwise just isn’t willing to admit they wasted their money or are the people trying to sell everyone on these coatings

• Disagree
Reactions: 8rain and sorka
Upvote 0

It's not about appearance.
  • Protection against chemical etching from things like bird dung.
  • Prevents hard water stains should be unfortunate enough to get hit by a sprinkler
  • Makes cleaning way easier. Water beads off. Dust doesn't adhere to the paint so it comes off instantly with the agitator nozzle.
  • Resists swirling when doing that quick no-rinse detailing while on long road trips.
That said it's NOT worth the money that most detailers charge. I've done all my own ceramic for years. It's really easy after a little practice. My typical application lasts about 2 years before the beading starts diminish with the return of sheeting action but only just barely.

I'm getting full front (bumpers, lights, hood, fenders, mirrors) with Xpel Ultimate Plus next month for $1695. I'm doing my own ceramic.

I've used multiple brands over the years from $35 to $200.

This one has worked as well as any I've used before and is reasonably priced:

Reactions: thesmokingman
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Orange peel doesn't shine very well and it is visible when you are less than a few feet away. See all those small ripples in your clearcoat? This is where the true cost of a ceramic job comes in, it's the labor to cut and polish the factory clear coat! It could take up to 10 hours depending on surface area and that's why it cost so much.

Although very minor orange peel can be corrected with firm backer and a firm pad and an aggressive compound, I've found that wet sanding removes far less clear for the same amount of leveling.

Agree that the labor for proper ceramic coating is in the paint prep.

Upvote 0

Unfortunately with Tesla, ESPECIALLY when the car is brand new. I was fortunate enough to have perfect paint on my 2015 S. Swirl free. Orange peel free. My brand new MXP has tons of swirls from guys wiping their bird dung soaked rags over our cars sitting at the factory for 2 weeks straight. My P85D was picked up the day after it came out of the factory while the MXP was weeks. It also has moderate orange peel.

Upvote 0
Coincidence? That's the stuff I landed on. I find it works pretty well. I did two cars and wheel with it. Got a second bottle to do some other bits like all of the plastics, frunk plastics, trim, all glass etc.

I wasn't expecting much for the price but was stunned at how it compared to the more expensive products. Then I was surprised again when it last for several years. It's saved my paint numerous times from bird dung chemical etching and the occasional hard water spots caused by dried water from sprinklers as well as detailing time.

Upvote 0
I wasn't expecting much for the price but was stunned at how it compared to the more expensive products. Then I was surprised again when it last for several years. It's saved my paint numerous times from bird dung chemical etching and the occasional hard water spots caused by dried water from sprinklers as well as detailing time.
Yea, it's great value for the money. Btw, do you use a booster? I find that McKees works with Nanobond pretty well.

Upvote 0
I have nothing to gain from telling you it’s a waste of money.. all these people hyping it already wasted their money or are planning to waste it and believe the hype. I promise you it does almost nothing for the protection of your paint and absolutely nothing for ease of cleaning… but feel free to find out for yourself at the cost of 1500+ Or possibly even worse less money but the cost of your time doing it yourself which for most people who can afford teslas is worth way more than the extra cost of paying someone to do it

Upvote 0