Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint Stained

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Honestly save your money, just use meguiars ultimate compound and an applicator pad. It will take you approx 5-10 just need to do the area that is stained. then apply a quick wax in a spray form. total time should be 10-15 min and a lot cheaper then $700-1000

Thanks. I am going to try the white vinegar solution first and see if that works. If that does not work I will think about using some compound.

I will probably need to was with either solution.

It's important to keep in mind how the particular product you are using actually works and the effect it has on your clear coat. Polishes and compounds remove stains etched into your clear coat by actually removing a very tiny layer of the clear coat. The more abrasive the product, the more clear coat it removes. That is why you want to start out with the least abrasive product first and then work your way up. So I think something like vinegar or a paint cleanser is great to start with and hopefully that would remove the stain. But if that doesn't work, I would then next try a polish, and then only if these did not work would I use a compound.

It also speaks to the value of regularly protecting your paint with sealants, waxes, ceramic coatings, etc so that you can reduce the need to polish and compound as much as possible in the future.

Please do let us know what product actually worked to remove the stain. I am really curious in case I run into a similar situation.

It's important to keep in mind how the particular product you are using actually works and the effect it has on your clear coat. Polishes and compounds remove stains etched into your clear coat by actually removing a very tiny layer of the clear coat. The more abrasive the product, the more clear coat it removes. That is why you want to start out with the least abrasive product first and then work your way up. So I think something like vinegar or a paint cleanser is great to start with and hopefully that would remove the stain. But if that doesn't work, I would then next try a polish, and then only if these did not work would I use a compound.

It also speaks to the value of regularly protecting your paint with sealants, waxes, ceramic coatings, etc so that you can reduce the need to polish and compound as much as possible in the future.

Please do let us know what product actually worked to remove the stain. I am really curious in case I run into a similar situation.

Thanks. I think people use compound sometimes to mean polishing compound. I have used both rubbing compound and polishing compound on previous cars but am hesitant with the Tesla knowing the history with thin/soft paint.

I will definitely report back if the vinegar solution works. I have read about the paint cleansers and may try that as well.

Thanks. I think people use compound sometimes to mean polishing compound. I have used both rubbing compound and polishing compound on previous cars but am hesitant with the Tesla knowing the history with thin/soft paint.

I will definitely report back if the vinegar solution works. I have read about the paint cleansers and may try that as well.

When are you going to get to it already?! ;):p

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
Well, the vinegar solution worked! I took a bit of elbow grease where the big stain was but it all came off. The water beaded afterwards but I still put a coat of the Turtle Wax Seal and Shine on the hood. I figured it couldn't hurt.

My guess is that if the stain was thicker this would have taken a bit longer or not worked at all. Lucky I caught it when it was light.

Thanks to all for the advice and encouragement!

20190824_074239.jpg

So glad to hear the vinegar worked and that you were able to remove the stain without having to remove any of your clear coat with a compound.

I would definitely suggest you protect all of your car's paint. There is a Youtube detailer I like named Jimbo and he said his favorite current regimen is Turtle Wax Seal and Shine every 3 or 4 months and Technicians Choice Ceramic Detail Spray after every wash or two. Both products are very durable, provide nearly unbeatable protection, and are very inexpensive.

Again, really happy to hear the stain came out with vinegar!

So glad to hear the vinegar worked and that you were able to remove the stain without having to remove any of your clear coat with a compound.

I would definitely suggest you protect all of your car's paint. There is a Youtube detailer I like named Jimbo and he said his favorite current regimen is Turtle Wax Seal and Shine every 3 or 4 months and Technicians Choice Ceramic Detail Spray after every wash or two. Both products are very durable, provide nearly unbeatable protection, and are very inexpensive.

Again, really happy to hear the stain came out with vinegar!

Thanks and thanks for the advice!