Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rusty leaks from the pipe damaged car painting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there,

Recently I found my model's frunk hood painting got damaged by the rusty leaks from a pipe, do you know if it's repairable via a DIY way or I have to go to tesla service?

I have tired to wipe it off by myself, but feels like there are already some chemical reactions happened to the painting&rusty and the stains is kind of fused into the paint.

I've also scheduled a service, will keep posting.

Attachments

• IMG_5639.jpg
    IMG_5639.jpg
    438.8 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_5642.jpg
    IMG_5642.jpg
    379.5 KB · Views: 89
Hi there,

Recently I found my model's frunk hood painting got damaged by the rusty leaks from a pipe, do you know if it's repairable via a DIY way or I have to go to tesla service?

I have tired to wipe it off by myself, but feels like there are already some chemical reactions happened to the painting&rusty and the stains is kind of fused into the paint.

I've also scheduled a service, will keep posting.
the hood is aluminum.
that's oxidation due to chemical reaction, not rust.
a proper fix would be to strip to bare metal, sand out the oxidized areas, bondo the area, sand back to surface level, prime and paint.
it will not be cheap.

a new hood should be priced, to compare to the repair cost.

• Informative
Reactions: father_of_6
Upvote 0
the hood is aluminum.
a proper fix would be to strip to bare metal, sand out the oxidized areas, bondo the area, sand back to surface level, prime and paint.
it will not be cheap.

thanks, I also considered replacing the new hood, will try talk to tesla service

Upvote 0
the hood is aluminum.
it will not be cheap.

turned out the it didn't go into the paint, probably the stains only stay here for couple days, so no crazy oxidation happened, but still thanks for your detailed explanation!

Upvote 0