Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paintless dent removal on Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Something fell from a tree, or was thrown at my car, and it left this dent in my hood. Is this something that paintlesss dent removal can fix? How perfect can they get it?

The reason I’m not sure is because I can see that the model 3 hood has two layers of metal sandwiched together, making it impossible to access the dent from underneath.

And is the hood aluminum or steel?

ABC8DAA7-4FFE-457F-A9B5-1BBAAA4B19AC.jpeg

I believe the hood is aluminum.

Ive used a mobile paint-less dent removal service to repair a dent similar to that on my Model S door in the past. They did an excellent job. Even knowing there was a dent before I can see no evidence that it was there. Aluminum carried a premium price with the dent removal.

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
Here are two photos of the left rear door ding. The biggest challenge was that it was so close to the edge that some places wanted to drill into the door from the side to fix it. I found an artist willing to work at it and it took him about 3 hours but it was invisible after wards. Unfortunately, I don't have a photo of the side of the car after wards.

Attachments

• IMG_1790.JPG
    IMG_1790.JPG
    256.8 KB · Views: 793
  • IMG_1791.JPG
    IMG_1791.JPG
    216.6 KB · Views: 648
  • Informative
Reactions: CuriousM3
Anyone have someone in los angeles who does it? Can you please give me their contact info. Thanks

Someone suggested I use Yelp reviews, sorted by rating, for San Diego, and I was very satisfied with the result. There is another thread on here somewhere with before/after pictures.

Aluminum doors are not a problem, they are just REALLY strong compared to steel. Takes a lot more force (and a bit of modest heat gun (“sitting in summer sun” temps - will not burn fingers) application to make it more pliable.

Someone suggested I use Yelp reviews, sorted by rating, for San Diego, and I was very satisfied with the result. There is another thread on here somewhere with before/after pictures.

Aluminum doors are not a problem, they are just REALLY strong compared to steel. Takes a lot more force (and a bit of modest heat gun (“sitting in summer sun” temps - will not burn fingers) application to make it more pliable.

How much did it cost you?

Something fell from a tree, or was thrown at my car, and it left this dent in my hood. Is this something that paintlesss dent removal can fix? How perfect can they get it?

The reason I’m not sure is because I can see that the model 3 hood has two layers of metal sandwiched together, making it impossible to access the dent from underneath.

And is the hood aluminum or steel?

View attachment 340910
Use a pops a dent from autozone. It comes with the hot glue and everything you need. Only $20 and it works great. I’ve used it for many different dents.

Reactions: Matt L
You’re right. I’ve never seen that one before but it looks pretty cool. I’ll add that to my collection of tools.

Yes, it is possible/likely this particular dent could be removed yourself. Was not possible for mine. It depends on how much stress you want to endure.

Let us know if you have success doing it yourself with one of the suggested kits! You may want to purchase one of the special lights for PDR - a “dent board light” - has a pattern of bars to emphasis the topography - to let you know when the dent is truly gone.

Off the top of my head I don’t know whether the trunk lid is aluminum or not (as compared to the hood). I know doors are aluminum, “quarter panels” are steel. If the material is different than the trunk it might make it more difficult to achieve the same result - aluminum is much stiffer than steel in the case of the body panel construction (presumably due to thickness). *Modest* heat (as mentioned above) makes aluminum more pliable. Might be useful to know if attempting to fix it yourself...

Last edited: