Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Palo Alto CA Service Center Greatly Improved - July 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dreaded taking my 2018 Mod3 in to fix a front-end squawk. Past visits have been overcrowded, staff disorganized. This time far better, in fact, one of the best services for any car. Tesla replaced both upper control arms for $190 -- they comped me the labor (car well out of warranty). AND the car was ready in less than two hours. My service rep said he'd been sent from the factory to make improvements and I congratulated and thanked him.

Reactions: MitchMitch
I would rate the Palo Alto, CA Tesla Service Center with 3 out of 5 stars based on service in early Aug. 2023.

In summary, my satisfaction with the service was not complete due to the following reasons:

Punctuality Issue: The technician arrived later than scheduled and did not communicate about the delay in advance.
Dispute over Extra Charge: The technician raised a concern about an additional charge for a line item that had already been scheduled and priced.

However, despite these issues, all the outlined service tasks were eventually completed as agreed upon.

I trust that sharing my detailed experience below will serve as constructive feedback for management and aid prospective customers in better preparing for a Tesla mobile service.

This service marked my first appointment for my MY AWD after 6,300 miles and 15 months. I had specifically requested the following services, in line with the manufacturer's recommendations:
1) Tire Rotation: The manual suggests performing a tire rotation after 6,300 miles or if there's a noticeable difference in tread depth.
2) Cabin Air Filter Check
3) Engine Air Filter Check
4) Brake Fluid Check

I utilized the Tesla mobile app to schedule the appointment, define the service scope, and approve the estimated cost of $155. The app presented options for a morning or afternoon 4-hour window for the service, and it indicated that the technician would send a notification when en route.

Curiously, the technician phoned me 6 minutes after the expiration of the 4-hour window, stating that he had already arrived. This arrival notification contradicted the app's assurance of an early warning message prior to arrival.

During the inspection, the technician measured the tread and initially determined that tire rotation was unnecessary. I reminded him of the manual's recommendation and requested he follow those guidelines, which he reluctantly did.

A more significant issue arose when the technician asserted an additional charge for checking the engine air filter, claiming it wasn't on his checklist. I had to review messages on my phone to prove that this service was indeed on my approved to-do list from his service center. Despite his initial arguments, he eventually includeded the engine air filter check in the original agreed-upon price of $153.

The most bothersome aspect was that I had allocated a 4-hour window in my schedule to accommodate the technician's arrival, and his tardiness necessitated an additional hour of rearranging my commitments.

In conclusion, while the service was eventually completed as intended, the punctuality issue and associated lack of communication and the dispute over extra charges left me with a sense of dissatisfaction.