Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Panasonic Debuts Next-Gen Head-Up Display

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fair enough. Speed is nice to have displayed even though I also can probably sense within +/-5mph of my speed. Navigation directions on the HUD are very convenient, especially because I don't like to have to have the GPS audio directions voice on. Also various alerts pop up there - the other day I got the slippery conditions (<37°F) warning. With no HUD, I would have just heard a generic "bong" tone and would have had to look into the car's display to see what that warning tone was trying to alert me to.

All the little things add up and I remain a fan of HUD. But to each his/her own of course.
Thanks,

I suppose I just don't get it. People have been driving ICE cars for a ton of years and in the last 10 years they can no longer drive without being constantly informed of stuff. If the temp is below 32 degrees...ice can form just like it did 50 years ago when this technology was nowhere to be found. Just slow down - whether you have to or not.

Maybe we can look at a map or watch the scenery like our parents did. When was the last time anyone here saw a beautiful fall tree or stopped to watch the snow fall?

Maybe HUD can tell us how beautiful nature is.
T-h-a-t-s A B-e-a-u-t-I-f-u-l T-r-e-e-/ {P-l-e-a-s-e L-o-o-k a-t I-t. }

>>>and in the last 10 years they can no longer drive without being constantly informed of stuff.
People have been killing themselves at a rate of 40,000 people a year since about 1930, peaking well over 50,000 around 1970, then falling back to the 40,000 range unitl just about...8 years ago when it precipitously dropped to the low 30's.

Maybe being informed of stuff isn't so bad...
List of motor vehicle deaths in U.S. by year - Wikipedia

Reactions: alseTrick
>>>and in the last 10 years they can no longer drive without being constantly informed of stuff.
People have been killing themselves at a rate of 40,000 people a year since about 1930, peaking well over 50,000 around 1970, then falling back to the 40,000 range unitl just about...8 years ago when it precipitously dropped to the low 30's.

Maybe being informed of stuff isn't so bad...
List of motor vehicle deaths in U.S. by year - Wikipedia
I can't attribute that to HUD's.

Airbags, Antilock brakes and Mandatory Seatbelt laws being accompanied advanced crash testing have to be the largest contributors of safety towards any realistic numbers.

Jeesh ... so it turn off ... you can explain to the judge why you hit the pedestrian, that you just didn't like the safety features of your car, and just knew you didn't need no fangled tech. :eek::rolleyes:
First of all Geeesh is spelled with a "G". Just kidding.

Secondly, and most importantly. I hate HUD....not technology.

You obviously haven't seen all of my previous car examples of CES 2017 non-HUD cars. They are dripping with technology.

Last edited:
First of all Geeesh is spelled with a "G". Just kidding.

Secondly, and most importantly. I hate HUD....not technology.

You obviously haven't seen all of my previous car examples of CES 2017 non-HUD cars. They are dripping with technology.
I think the spelling is loose for that term: jeesh, geesh, geez, sheech etc. o_O

Second, I have read lots of your posts, and they often are at odds with (my perception) of Tesla's design sense. :rolleyes: simple elegance, reprogramability, ...

I think the spelling is loose for that term: jeesh, geesh, geez, sheech etc. o_O

Second, I have read lots of your posts, and they often are at odds with (my perception) of Tesla's design sense. :rolleyes: simple elegance, reprogramability, ...

You mean - These posts of mine? From the past 2 days? Where I explicitly point out the love I have for Tesla's simplicity?

<a href="Panasonic Debuts Next-Gen Head-Up Display">Panasonic Debuts Next-Gen Head-Up Display</a>
<a href="Panasonic Debuts Next-Gen Head-Up Display">Panasonic Debuts Next-Gen Head-Up Display</a>
<a href="Model 3 may have Solar Roof that can charge the vehicle">Model 3 may have Solar Roof that can charge the vehicle</a>
<a href="Model 3 may have Solar Roof that can charge the vehicle">Model 3 may have Solar Roof that can charge the vehicle</a>
<a href="White Leather Seats">White Leather Seats</a>

My only reason for thinking it might not be standard on the S and X was because they just updated them with the new AP hardware being standard and that caused a lot of fuss with all the people that had just gotten one without the updated hardware. Now that you put it the way you did though, it does seem more likely that they'll just make it standard and say to hell with the complaints. They'd get more feedback that way too.

It'll be ~6 months or so since the autopilot change. That's more frequent than traditional manufacturer's perennial changes, but I don't see it having a major impact on Tesla either way (even if some loudmouth owners get cranky).

But I just don't see how the lower end model could have something standard that the higher end models don't. That's what it comes down to.

I think Late March reveal, with new technology appearing coincidently in the S/X (they are always improving, so deal with it). Potentially the HUD will be: eye-tracking, quite large in windscreen, also projected onto a passive screen with touch (replacing the lcd display in the prototypes), and possibly display across the entire vertical strip on the dash. I think it will be advanced. It will display HUD and AR, in that it will show what objects the car has identified and whether they are threats, routing info, and other info useful to driving. They will put in the best hw they can afford, and update the software for the display in a continuous way.
[[ However, I am trying to suppress my prediction as I do not want to be disappointed. ]]
[[ I am not sure how much of a gimmick the haptic 3d touch thing is ... ]]

Imo:

Eye-tracking? No.
Quite large? Maybe. Depends how large you're suggesting it is. I think it will be a moderate size for the driver's side only (but to some that may be "large", Idk).
Touchscreen? No.
On dash/"air vent" strip? No.

HUD and AR? Most likely.
Navigation and AP objects/tracking? Most likely.

Last edited:
You mean - These posts of mine? From the past 2 days? Where I explicitly point out the love I have for Tesla's simplicity?

<a href="White Leather Seats">White Leather Seats</a>
My apologies Garlan -- I think I mixed you up with someone else!

Imo:

Eye-tracking? No.
Quite large? Maybe. Depends how large you're suggesting it is. I think it will be a moderate size for the driver's side only (but to some that may be "large", Idk).
Touchscreen? No.
On dash/"air vent" strip? No.

HUD and AR? Most likely.
Navigation and AP objects/tracking? Most likely.

On the topic of eye-tracking... if the HUD has augmented reality then it must certainly have eye/face tracking. I can't think of any way around having to know where the driver's head is and how it's oriented to properly overlay information on real world objects with the correct perspective.

This.

I think Elon's quote means that Tesla won't offer any features on the 3 that aren't already available or standard on the S/X.

I don't think that fact precludes a HUD.

I think it's fairly likely that in late March or early April Tesla will do the part 3 unveiling, show a HUD for the 3 - and start shipping S and X cars with standard HUDs that week. In my opinion that's entirely in line with their corporate ethos and goals and past guidance ("spaceship like controls")

Exactly my thinking too. You can't put a HUD into the Model S before your final reveal of the Model 3. Doing so tips your hat.

Show the final Model 3 then put the HUD into the S. Just like they did with the facelift. They did the Model X reveal with the new nose and people thought it was a one-off design. Doing it immediately to the Model S would show their hand about how the Model 3 would look so I'm sure that's why they waited a couple of weeks.

Just because you don't want it doesn't mean it'll be a disaster, you're going to start sounding like the hatchback people ...
Totally thought you said hunchback people... was very confused.

92QV0g.jpg

Exactly my thinking too. You can't put a HUD into the Model S before your final reveal of the Model 3. Doing so tips your hat.

Show the final Model 3 then put the HUD into the S. Just like they did with the facelift. They did the Model X reveal with the new nose and people thought it was a one-off design. Doing it immediately to the Model S would show their hand about how the Model 3 would look so I'm sure that's why they waited a couple of weeks.
The M3 is going to start with the new batteries - before the MS. So this thing about the MS being first is a nice thought, however it appears that all Elon needs to say is...."We changed our mind" - and everything would be good.