Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Papafox's Daily TSLA Trading Charts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

The only other wild catalyst that I can think of would be FCA contributing enough to their bottom line to start the S&P 500 inclusion process. But that would take a net profit of at least 251M. I wouldn't bet on that either, but I thought it could be considered in the space of reasonable possibilities.

I'm curious, @Papafox, why you say we'll only see the impact of that deal next year. I haven't been able to find much reliable info on the deal, so I'm wondering if my ideas above are invalid. Thanks for your insight.

The year 2020 is when the tough carbon emissions standards by the EU go into effect, and for that reason we'll likely see the majority of the payments to Tesla that year. The following couple of years could be lucrative for Tesla too, but in theory Fiat-Chrysler will be selling EVs by then and the need for Tesla's involvement would lessen.

The point I really want to make is that the future looks bright for Tesla and we see lots of reasons why revenues and profits will rise. For this ER, guessing the gross margins will be somewhat tricky, and so we need to be prepared for a wide variety of scenarios ranging from mediocre results with lots of market manipulations to dip the stock to a surprisingly good ER that sends the stock price flying. I pointed out good things that will happen in 2020 to suggest it's best to not focus too close in on your TSLA investment. We may set a new all time high this year and we may hit it next year. You need to be prepared for either, and in my mind that includes being sufficiently invested so that if things go well on Wednesday you have a seat on the rocket ship, and if the manipulators take advantage of mediocre results and we don't see a pop until a later quarter, your investment will be ok too.

jul24chart.JPG

Tesla rallied to a close of nearly 265 before market hours closed, but the ER was overall disappointing and TSLA dipped into the high 230s in after-hour trading. The ER and conference call included both good and bad news.

Naturally, the media focuses on the bad, which included:
* Gross margins were 19%
* Lower revenues than 4Q18 even though deliveries were higher
* A loss of $408M, about twice as deep as FactSet numbers
* J.B. Straubel is shedding the CTO title (which Drew is picking up), but will remain with the company as a senior advisor
* Elon is talking about a break-even Q3 and profitable Q4 in 2019 now instead of both being profitable
* Elon deemphasized importance of Models S and X

The good news, which didn't receive much press is:
* $614 million free cash flow
* Production continues to become more efficient, mix of Model 3s ordered remains heavily skewed toward long range versions, and Tesla continues to believe it will deliver 360K-400K vehicles in 2019.
* Tesla is still guiding toward producing over 10K vehicles per week at end of 2019
* Labor per vehicle continues to go down substantially
* Demand for Model 3 is strong

We learned a few things this time around. One was that luvb2b's numbers continue to be very close to what we see revealed in the ER. We need to give increased credence to his work.

So, where do we go from here? I don't right now see lots of catalysts in the 3rd quarter, so things could be bumpy for a while. Good things are coming in Q4 and 2020 and strong Q3 numbers could take some of the pressure off TSLA later in the quarter. Expect some more pressure from you know who in the short run. The good news is that demand is strong for Model 3, production is increasing and becoming more efficient. The long-term outlook for Tesla is good, but we'll need to get through the negative press in the short term before the market can focus on what is to come.

Conditions:
* Dow down 79 (0.29%)
* NASDAQ up 70 (0.85%)
* TSLA 264.88, up 4.71 (1.81%)
* TSLA volume 11.1M shares
* Oil 56.04
* Percent of TSLA selling tagged to shorts: 42.5%

View attachment 433836
Tesla rallied to a close of nearly 265 before market hours closed, but the ER was overall disappointing and TSLA dipped into the high 230s in after-hour trading. The ER and conference call included both good and bad news.

Naturally, the media focuses on the bad, which included:
* Gross margins were 19%
* Lower revenues than 4Q18 even though deliveries were higher
* A loss of $408M, about twice as deep as FactSet numbers
* J.B. Straubel is shedding the CTO title (which Drew is picking up), but will remain with the company as a senior advisor
* Elon is talking about a break-even Q3 and profitable Q4 in 2019 now instead of both being profitable
* Elon deemphasized importance of Models S and X

The good news, which didn't receive much press is:
* $614 million free cash flow
* Production continues to become more efficient, mix of Model 3s ordered remains heavily skewed toward long range versions, and Tesla continues to believe it will deliver 360K-400K vehicles in 2019.
* Tesla is still guiding toward producing over 10K vehicles per week at end of 2019
* Labor per vehicle continues to go down substantially
* Demand for Model 3 is strong

We learned a few things this time around. One was that luvb2b's numbers continue to be very close to what we see revealed in the ER. We need to give increased credence to his work.

So, where do we go from here? I don't right now see lots of catalysts in the 3rd quarter, so things could be bumpy for a while. Good things are coming in Q4 and 2020 and strong Q3 numbers could take some of the pressure off TSLA later in the quarter. Expect some more pressure from you know who in the short run. The good news is that demand is strong for Model 3, production is increasing and becoming more efficient. The long-term outlook for Tesla is good, but we'll need to get through the negative press in the short term before the market can focus on what is to come.

Conditions:
* Dow down 79 (0.29%)
* NASDAQ up 70 (0.85%)
* TSLA 264.88, up 4.71 (1.81%)
* TSLA volume 11.1M shares
* Oil 56.04
* Percent of TSLA selling tagged to shorts: 42.5%

$5 billion in cash and equivalents and positive cash flow means Tesla can weather all the BS. Musk said manufacturing is pretty much self-sustaining. I think we're now in the clear.
Sorry JB is going, but 16 years on the mission is enough, and someone needs to recycle the terawattH battery capacity coming along in the next 18 months

jul25chart.JPG

The day after ER started off ugly, but fortunately the short-selling circuit breaker had popped and after a couple of morning dips TSLA traded fairly level on high volume of 21.9 million shares. The circuit breaker should be active tomorrow, as well. Don't be surprised if we see more downward pressure as shorts try to get a downtrend established and with the gloves off on Monday they'll likely try an additional push.

The day started with massive selling and buying on open, some 698K worth. Several minutes of trading then approached or exceeded 100K shares after opening.

jul25nas.png

The NASDAQ lost 1% today and was a relatively minor influence on TSLA as the low earnings from the ER dominated the discussion.

jul25maxp.jpg

Here's a view of the open interest that expires on Friday. There's really not much for hedge funds to gain by manipulating lower tomorrow because all of the large Call options are already out of the money.

Looking at LuvB2B's computations for Q3, you can see that break even will take a fairly large amount of work for Q3. The good news is that with $5 billion in the bank, positive free cash flow, and demand which is trending upwards, Tesla will be able to weather the storm and get to Model Y and other projects which will eventually bring the needed profits. The bad news is that the market is impatient and Tesla will need to show promise in the short term to keep investors from migrating elsewhere. Let's keep a close watch of Q3 deliveries and reports of efficiencies to see if Tesla can in fact deliver that short term surprise that will do wonders for the stock price.

Conditions:
* Dow down 129 (0.47%)
* NASDAQ down 83 (1.00%)
* TSLA 228.82, down 36.06 (13.61%)
* TSLA volume 21.9M shares
* Oil 56.05
* Percent of TSLA selling tagged to shorts: 43.5%

Last edited:
jul26chart.JPG

While the NASDAQ opened way up today, TSLA experienced a significant mandatory morning dip that got it heading in the wrong direction. Fortunately, a little after 2pm TSLA managed to climb into the green after steady progress throughout the day. After that, a game of whack-the-mole set in to keep TSLA from doing too much climbing on this options-expiration Friday, and a downward push in the final 15 minutes of trading allowed the shorts to show that TSLA closed down for the second day in a row.

Even though the short-seller alternate uptick rule was in effect today, there are ways to put downward pressure on the stock price, all the same. For example, nearly 235,000 shares traded hands in the first minute of market trading (a minute that has little effect upon the stock price), and so foes of Tesla could easily buy great quantities of the stock for resale minutes later. It's not a profitable enterprise by itself (buy high, sell lower), but if one has a large short holding in TSLA, the overall effect can indeed be positive.

The circuit breaker (alternate uptick rule) has now expired and thus short-sellers will have their full range of tools available on Monday. I have suggested waiting until next week before buying because of this situation. Usually, the shorts can get at least 3 days of mischief out of an ER. Don't be surprised to see an MMD like today's. If investors quickly buy up the dip, however, and TSLA runs to the green i may be time to get more serious about defining a bottom if you have some dry powder and want to get back in. It's also possible that we could see more days of pressure on TSLA, so be careful.

In terms of FUD and media pressure, this week's Flaming Fudster award goes to Gordon Johnson for his $45 price target on TSLA. Maybe he could better explain why a company that generates over $600 million in free cash flow in a quarter and is growing both deliveries and production can deserve such a low valuation. The board at Papafox's Daily Charts had a tough decision this week because this CNBC interview about why Tesla's time as a growth stock is now over, by WSJ's Charley Grant, defies logic and begs the question, "Ah, Charley, did you even listen to the conference call?"

jul26nas.png

The NASDAQ gained 1.11% today, most of it upon opening

jul26short.jpg

Tesla shorts were tagged with 39% of TSLA selling today, a somewhat low number, due to the alternate uptick rule being in effect today

jul26ihor.jpg

Dusaniwsky's latest graph shows a slight increase in short interest that has followed the 2Q ER.

Looking back at the earnings report, I agree with most TMC members that the future of Tesla is looking solid. That's the glass half full version of the report. The glass half empty version is that with losses greater than expected and a call for break-even performance in Q3, earnings for the year have been significantly diminished from many expectations, and so some downward correction was likely. That said, if Q3 achieves break-even profits or better, then the stock will indeed respond favorably. The big difference between the glass half full and half empty views is that it's easy for a long-term buy and hold stockholder to see good things a couple years down the road from this report, but many investors also trade options or expect quicker returns, and this ER didn't give them a nearby catalyst to hang their hats on. Q4 seems a long ways away to some.

Nonetheless, @Fact Checking posted a graph in the main investing thread today that showed Robinhood investors in TSLA are actually more numerous than before the Q2 ER, suggesting that small investors bailing from TSLA was not the reason for the $30+ dip we've experienced since the results came out. Such findings support the contention that liberal manipulations by short-sellers and hedge funds are a reason for much of the dip. Glass half empty longs certainly can be a fair portion of the sellers as well, however.

jul26tech.JPG

Looking at the tech chart, you can see that TSLA is now below the mid-bollinger band, and so until the stock price gets above 240ish, the bands will be lowering. Also, taking a look at the chart, you can see the deception that 15 minutes of selling at the end of the day can lend to a chart.

My IRA call moving strategy
Volatility is likely in the coming weeks (months, years, too!), and if you are trading from an IRA or other account where trading doesn't get taxed, here's a technique that I use during such times. With the rewards of TSLA looking a bit more distant than before the ER, I wish to move some 200-strike call options from Jan of 2021 to June of 2021. The way I've done this in the past when there's a clear pattern to the day's or week's trading is to buy or sell 2 of the calls and then wait for sufficient price change to have purchased the later-dated call at no extra charge. For example, if I think the SP is quite likely to fall, I will sell 2 of the Jan 2021 calls. When the stock price has fallen at least 4 dollars (the difference in the price of the calls) I will buy 2 June 2021 calls with the proceeds. Reverse the order by buying the June call first and then selling the Jan call when the stock price is running uphill, but this technique requires a buffer of cash. It's not a hard thing to do when TSLA is running uphill for 7 weeks in a row, but now we're entering choppy waters and so guessing direction will be more difficult at times. The exercise requires work, but you're not only increasing the value of your portfolio when doing this trading, you are also extending the expiration date of your calls and the wearing away of their time value. Use the volatility to your advantage, up or down.

For the week, TSLA closed at 228.04, down 30.14 from last Friday's 258.18. Have a good weekend.

Conditions:
* Dow up 51 (0.19%)
* NASDAQ up 92 (1.11%)
* TSLA 228.04, down 0.78 (0.34%)
* TSLA volume 10.0M shares
* Oil 56.20
* Percent of TSLA selling tagged to shorts: 39%

jul29chart.JPG

Today was the first day since the ER when the shorts could take the gloves off and push the stock price down if they went after TSLA aggressively. Contrary to other opinions, I've seen a night and day difference between circuit breaker popped and normal trading without alternate uptick rule. To my surprise, the downward pressure on TSLA was lighter than I suspected after the big ER day drop.
Reasons?
* Retail shorts are already into TSLA heavily and the story isn't strong enough right now to push for even heavier short interest. Check out Dusaniwsky's chart below.
* The hedge funds have been identified as very likely sources of significant manipulations of TSLA in the recent past, but right now the number of call options that they may have sold is small, and so they may not feel compelled to try holding back the tide when TSLA starts rising. I suspect their inability to stop the SP rise leading into the ER was a wakeup call to them.
* Despite the FUD immediately following the ER, the reality with Tesla is that it's generating enough money to fund its growth for at least a couple years to come. There is no crisis on the near horizon for the shorts to cheer for, just as there's not a great catalyst in the next few weeks for longs to cheer for.
* The 10Q came out today and contained mostly positive details.

A particularly interesting part of the day was when TSLA traded nearly level for half an hour, starting about 1:45pm. It looked like a classic capping maneuver and was followed by the common aggressive push-down. Alas, someone started buying this push-down with great volume, including two minutes with trading over 40K shares during each minute, and TSLA shot up to 235, where it would close. I suspect we had a combination of Algos and buying from some big dog investors, and then some short covering may have followed. The bottom line is that I think the behavior must have given the hedge funds the willies and helped discourage manipulations as an alternative to delta-hedging for the near future. Time will tell. In any event, if today's TSLA trading was a chess game between hedge funds trying to manipulate down and a big dog investor protecting his share values and perhaps still in acquiring mode, this was the turning point of the day.

jul29nas.png

The NASDAQ took a nasty dip until about 10:15am and then slowly started recovering to close down at 0.44%. TSLA's strength in the morning was magnified by its ability to resist a quickly-falling NASDAQ

jul29sinceER1k.jpg

Here's a TSLA chart from the afternoon of the ER until the end of today's trading. There certainly has been manipulations applied to the stock price and the most common times are in the morning and the few minutes right before close. When TSLA mostly shrugged off the pressure after opening, it raised eyebrows and as it marched higher throughout the late morning and early afternoon it showed it was deviating from the pattern.

News:
Positive: Kevin O'Leary from Shark Tank reports that he has personally invested in Tesla. He made this decision after talking with university students competing in electric car competitions. Apparently, they all want to work for Tesla.
Negative: In this Seeking Alpha mini-article, Adam Jonas of Morgan Stanley had to scrounge around for a reason to badtalk Tesla and came up with 2019 deliveries at 345K vehicles, down 2K from 347K. We all knew something was coming from him, but didn't realize he'd been scraping the bottom of the barrel.

jul29ihor.JPG

The chart above suggests that with additional short interest growth at the end of last week, TSLA shorts hold over 41 million shares, which makes the stock rather uncomfortably crowded in shorting if good news should come forth, and these high levels tend to temper further shorting if there's not a compelling reason for jumping aboard.

jul29short.jpg

Shorts were tagged with 43% of TSLA selling today, up from Friday

jul29tech.JPG

Looking at the tech chart, you can see that in mid-May the upper 220s provided nice support for TSLA before more bad news caused the stock to dip below that level. The 220s was also a point of resistance in June as TSLA climbed out of the basement. Tesla's ability to hold the 230s suggests the possibility of further climbing without that barrier.

Papafox's IRA expiration date plan:
Last week I mentioned how I intended to sell a couple 200-strike Jan21 calls from my tax-free IRA if I anticipated the stock would fall at least 4 dollars, at which time I would buy a couple 200-strike June21 calls to replace them with. The plan can be reversed, too. So, what happens when the stock movement doesn't match your plan? I found out this morning after selling 2 Jan21 calls while TSLA was in the green Friday afternoon and expecting a big enough MMD this morning to replace them with 2 Jun21 calls at no extra charge. Alas, I woke here in Hawaii for market open (3:30am!) and realized that the stock price was not behaving as expected. Consequently, I rebought the Jan21 calls at a tiny loss (tens of $s) and went back to bed. The good news is that those rebought calls benefited from the day's rise (hundreds of $s). Don't be afraid to admit your plan is not working that day and seek the least-bad alternative.

Conditions:
* Dow up 29 (0.11%)
* NASDAQ down 37 (0.44%)
* TSLA 235.77, up 7.73 (3.39%)
* TSLA volume 9.1M shares
* Oil 57.18
* Percent of TSLA selling tagged to shorts:43%

jul30chart.JPG

Today was another strong day for TSLA. Consider the first two days following the ER as the glass half empty days where the media and the bearish analysts did their dance and helped to knock down the stock price. This week so far we are in the glass half full phase where the bullish analysts are speaking out about what was encouraging in the ER, we're hearing positive news about Tesla Energy new product and Model 3 safety ratings, and we found out that groups from Robinhood to Germany's second-largest bank have been buying TSLA. The strength TSLA is seeing in the afternoons is a game changer and hopefully means that big investors continue to accumulate. Volume was a modest 8K today.

The really splendid thing about the trading trends since the ER are rising prices into close. The result is that shorts who manipulate lose money. They simply cannot manipulate early in the morning and then expect to cover (buy) at a lower price in the afternoon as other shorts push the stock price down.

So far shorts are not reducing short interest with net covering. In fact, since the ER shorts have been increasing their holdings, quite a bit on Thursday and less since.The good news is that the rising stock price has had nothing to do so far with short covering. Rather, it has been longs getting into the stock.

jul30nas.png

The NASDAQ certainly didn't help TSLA today, with momentary green after 2pm and then a descent to close down 0.24%

jul30chart2.jpg

Looking at the four days of trading since the ER, TSLA dropped from 265 to a low of about 223 or 42 points. The halfway point would be marked at 223+21=244. Getting close! Meanwhile, the trading pattern of rising as the day proceeds has only become more defined.

Catalysts:
Keep your eyes open for near-term catalysts...
Likely Positive:
Wednesday, July 31- The Fed is supposed to issue an interest rate cut. Although the cut is pretty much already priced in, the markets may give a sigh of relief and the stocks could go up.
Negative:
Within a week: InsideEV gives U.S. delivery numbers not long after the close of each month. Tesla is likely going to deliver more vehicles in Q3 than in Q2, but in Q2 there was an advantage of additional inventory as the quarter began. Thus, even though Q3 deliveries could be another record, July in the U.S. may lower than April's numbers.
Within a couple weeks: TSLAQ is making a big deal about Elon's mention of hoped-for production numbers for solar roof by end of year, and Bloomberg's Dana Hull wrote about it. If a story comes out that Elon is being investigated by the SEC for an infraction, the stock will take a near-term hit. Let's hope that doesn't happen.

jul30ihor.JPG

Even though Ihor Dusaniwsky says that shares shorted have declined in the past week, if you look a little closer you'll see the big decline was the day of the ER, but since then shorts have been net adding shares.

jul30short.jpg

Short-sellers were tagged with selling 44.5% of TSLA today, up from yesterday and Friday. They're trying manipulative techniques that are not effective this time around and are costing money.

jul30tech.JPG

Looking at the tech chart, you can see that we have a nice positive trend showing on the trading so far. You'll also see that TSLA today closed right at the 100 day moving average and the mid bollinger-band. Climbing above the mid bb would result in the bands climbing as well.

Conditions:
* Dow down 23 (0.09%)
* NASDAQ down 20 (0.24%)
* TSLA 242.26, up 6.49 (2.75%)
* TSLA volume 8.0M shares
* Oil 58.39
* Percent of TSLA selling tagged to shorts: 44.5%

jul31chart.JPG
Today TSLA closed nearly 1% higher than the broader indexes, indicating another trading day of relative strength. Volume was relatively heavy in the first half hour of trading with lots of minutes showing 10K, 20K, up to 40K of trading per minute. The 10am MMD was spirited but when it was quickly defeated it set the stage for a slow climb through 2pm. Macros and TSLA trading was choppy on the announcement of the .25% reduction in interest, but when Powell said this is not the start of a trend the macros had a conniption. The NASDAQ fall was less than 2% from top to bottom but TSLA's fall was more like 3%, suggesting that the hedge funds had set their algos to sell on weakness and thus we saw an exaggerated dip for TSLA. Fortunately, for the remainder of the trading day, TSLA bounced back better than the macros and closed near even for the day.

jul31nas.png

The NASDAQ spent most the day in positive territory but closed down 1.19% on news that the Feds don't intend to make interest rate cuts a trend at this time.

Why would hedge funds be trying so hard to discourage TSLA today? Check out the open interest chart below.

jul31open.jpg

You can see that there are lots of 250 strike calls expiring on Friday, and a fair number of 240s and 245s as well. If the sellers of those calls are not delta-hedging, they're going to take some losses if TSLA keeps climbing this week. Judging from the chart above, the sellers of calls would want TSLA to close at 240 or below on Friday. A close at 235 would be even better for them, and that's the max pain number, but I think that number is out of their reach unless the macros do something weird. In recent trading, we've seen TSLA less connected with macros than normal.

Today's trading suggests continued buying pressure. The shorting efforts are still failing to control the appreciation of TSLA, with a spirited but quickly defeated MMD today and feeding frenzy buying on the Fed announcement dip.

Conditions:
* Dow down 334 (1.23%)
* NASDAQ down 98 (1.19%)
* TSLA 241.61, down 0.65 (0.27%)
* TSLA volume 9.0M shares
* Oil 57.80
* Percent of TSLA selling tagged to shorts: 44%

If the sellers of those calls are not delta-hedging, they're going to take some losses if TSLA keeps climbing this week. Judging from the chart above, the sellers of calls would want TSLA to close at 240 or below on Friday. A close at 235 would be even better for them, and that's the max pain number, but I think that number is out of their reach

Well, I think that perhaps today's moves in light of the above might just confirm the theory that its call sellers doing the manipulations right now? By the way @Papafox, I just want to say I really appreciate the effort you make to do this every day, and very much enjoy coming here to get a little more insight.

aug1chart.JPG

Today TSLA bounced back from its mandatory morning dips but began a slow descent after peaking a 10:12am peak at 244.43. One possible explanation for the slow descent was additional pressure from hedge funds who are trying to maximize profits on 235-250 calls they sold that expire on Friday. To back up the "additional pressure" claim, consider that percent of selling by shorts climbed to 45% today (see chart below). We also saw way above average trading in the first and last minute of the day, with 165K shares and 235K shares traded, respectively. That's a lot of buying and selling that's not affecting the stock price. It gives hedge funds a chance to load up on shares on open, sell them as needed to get a response, short in the afternoon, and cover going into the final minute of trading.

I specifically say "hedge funds" instead of sellers of the call options because regular market makers are also selling calls and puts. Typically, a market maker will delta-hedge so that they minimize risk but manage to collect the time decay as profit, and sometimes the market makers will do a little manipulating in the last hour of Friday when manipulations are easier than hedging. So far the retail shorts who along with hedging longs bought the 120-strike puts that are going to expire on Friday have shown no real ability to move the stock price.

When an excuse for a dip, FUD (even weak FUD sometimes) or a macro dip comes along, the hedge funds have a believable reason for TSLA falling and so they're much more successful when working with a tailwind. When longs are hungry and see an artificial dip in TSLA, as we've seen in the past week, these longs tend to buy the dip. Longs are less likely to buy a hedge-fund-selling-enhanced dip if the dip itself is believable, such as this afternoon's dip when word of addition Trump tariffs on China came out.

Regarding China, I look at the U.S. tariffs as part of the negotiating process on trade. Xi appeared ready to sign a reasonable deal with the U.S., but the hard-liners in the party are apparently objecting. No deal gets done until the hard-liners come around, and so rather than let negotiations stretch out indefinitely, Trump is applying more pressure. As much as we dislike tariffs and other impediments to the economy, I think this will ultimately be what's necessary to get to a deal within a reasonable time span.

aug1nas.png

The NASDAQ dipped in the afternoon as word came forth that Trump was adding 10% tariffs to 300 billion of Chinese imports. The market is unhappy as it await's China's response. The NASDAQ closed down 0.79%.

In news, InsideEV.com released their best guess of Tesla's July delivery numbers for the U.S., and the numbers look rather good. Keep in mind that there was lots more inventory coming into the first month of Q2 than came into July, and so the decent numbers look all that much better and certainly eliminate the TSLAQ notion of a demand cliff after the June 30 stepdown in EV tax credits.

aug1short.jpg

Short-sellers were tagged with 45% of TSLA selling today, suggesting growing manipulations by hedge funds.

aug1tech.JPG

Looking at a small portion of the tech chart, you can see that the uptrend has still not been reversed since the ER fall.

Conditions:
* Dow down 281 (1.05%)
* NASDAQ down 64 (0.79%)
* TSLA 233.85, down 7.76 (3.21%)
* TSLA volume 8.1M shares
* Oil 54.30
* Percent of TSLA selling tagged to shorts: 45%

Last edited:
aug2chart.JPG

Despite Thursday's dip and some threatening numbers in the pre-market trading, TSLA pulled itself together today and traded significantly better than the broader markets and tech stocks. Close to close, TSLA was beating typical tech stocks by 3%.

How does one account for the dip in the final 20 minutes before close? It was a simple case of the market makers and hedge funds not wanting to lose money on the 235 calls they had sold, and with low volume today they managed enough selling to close under 235. It took the sale of nearly 24,000 shares at 3:48pm to get the dip really moving, but they pulled it off. If you owned some of those 235 calls that expired today, my condolences and my continued warning about short-term bets. This casino is often not an honest one. In the long term, however, it is simply not possible to hold the stock price back once the company demonstrates that it can execute well.

aug2nas.png

The NASDAQ closed down 1.32% today. Notice that TSLA's recovery from mid-morning until close was not supported by the NASDAQ.

I was very impressed with TSLA's strength today. Here's why:
* While the NASDAQ remained in the basement, TSLA clawed its way up to the green
* I think word is getting around that July deliveries were stronger than expected
* Low volume (6 million shares) suggests longs are not interested in selling near the current price. Through a process of short-seller manipulators making life difficult for TSLA investors for years now, and because of a few unhappy surprises that Tesla itself was responsible for (Q1 issues, for example) the weak longs are long gone, leaving battle-hardened longs who aren't overly inclined to sell.
* The strength we've seen is not due to shorts who are covering. That tailwind remains for the future
* If some big entities are accumulating TSLA, it looks like the break they took yesterday for macro issues is over and it's game on again

aug2ihor.JPG

The big increase in short interest the day after the ER has eroded into a more stable short interest situation now. I'd love to carry over 40M of shares shorted into a positive ER later this year. One can always hope that shorty remains unbelieving to the evidence of Tesla producing and delivering well right now.

aug2short.png

Shorts were tagged with 40% of TSLA selling today, down from the rest of this week.

aug2tech.JPG

Looking at the tech chart, you can see that the candles are longer since the Post-ER dip than they were before. Longer candles mean bigger changes in the stock price between open and close. I think the short candles leading up to the ER suggest that the manipulations were successful in reducing daily price increases of TSLA. The longer candles in our more recent trading sessions suggests that the hedge fund manipulators are no longer as successful in manipulations as before.

For the week, TSLA closed at 234.44, up 6.40 from last Friday's 228.04. TSLA was strong all week except for Thursday's hedge fund pushdown followed by the day's shorts-enhanced dip on steroids as the macros plunged. With the strength TSLA showed today, my expectations are positive for next week, as long as we can get the broader markets to settle down a bit on the China news. Have a great weekend.

Conditions:
* Dow down 98 (0.37%)
* NASDAQ down 107 (1.32%)
* TSLA 234.44, up 0.49 (0.21%)
* TSLA volume 6.0M shares
* Oil 55.66
* Percent of TSLA selling tagged to shorts: 40%

Last edited:
Is there any way to add an absolute number of shares sold short into this chart? A high volume day with 35% of selling tagged to shorts, is very different than a low volume day with a 45% of selling tagged to shorts.

Ihor Dusaniwsky's numbers for net shares shorted are the best numbers we have. He needs to recalibrate his numbers of total TSLA shares shorted twice a month when the NASDAQ puts out the actual short interest, and sometimes when he recalibrates his numbers to adjust for the errors in his numbers we see a sizable artificial movement. On other days, he probably has a reasonably good idea of how short interest has changed that day, and so I publish his charts often here. Usually you have to look at least a day backwards. For example in his chart included in today's post, the downward movement of the stock price (shown in green) is for Thursday, and so you can figure out which movements of the total shares shorted line (shown in tan) correspond to which days of the week.

If you look at the percentage of selling that was done by shorts number, that gives you a different perspective entirely. About the lowest I ever see that number is 30%. Thus, I consider a day with 30% to be a day with virtually no manipulative shorting taking place. Included in that 30% are the day to day shorting of the market makers used to expedite transactions, and those numbers are exaggerated because multiple transactions are sometimes batched together on the ticker and if one transaction in the batch is a short, the whole transaction is considered shorting. Using this really rough method, a day such as today with only 40% of selling tagged to shorts makes me inclined to believe about 10% of the shorting was actual short-selling (but not net short-selling because it tells me nothing about the covering that is taking place). If volume today was 6 million shares then 10% of 6 million shares traded is about 600,000 shares. Most of those shares are covered the same day, I suspect because short interest growing by 600K shares in a day is a rather big movement. I am undoubtedly off on my calculation, but that's about the best I can do. Dusaniwsky has much more information to look at, and so we use his numbers, but there is a delay.of at least a day.

Something I found interesting about Friday's close was the response in after-hours trading to the dip of the final 15 minutes. Those of us who follow TSLA closely realize the dip was a manipulation, an act of fiction done by the sellers of call options to maximize the profits of the option sales this week. The market also believed so because in after-hours trading it bid TSLA back up above 235 again.

Something I found interesting about Friday's close was the response in after-hours trading to the dip of the final 15 minutes. Those of us who follow TSLA closely realize the dip was a manipulation, an act of fiction done by the sellers of call options to maximize the profits of the option sales this week. The market also believed so because in after-hours trading it bid TSLA back up above 235 again.

Thanks for your regular posts - I read them every day and find them very helpful :)

aug5chart.png

Pardon the brevity but today is very time constrained for me.

Today the inevitable retaliation of China to the U.S. threat to impose 10% tariffs on a remaining $300 billion began. The devaluation of China's currency that we saw in the past 24 hours only amounted to about 1.6%, but it was enough to give the broader markets and tech stocks in particular a conniption. Most tech stocks likely have substantial exposure to China currency fluctuations, and we saw Nvidia dip 6.45%, Apple 5.23%, and even high flyer ARKK was down 4.25%. All things considered, TSLA showed substantial strength to the rest of the market.

Immediate implications for Tesla are that vehicles sold in China generate 1.6% less revenue when the funds are converted to dollars. On the other hand, the new autopilot computers that will be installed in Teslas in the coming months are likely 1.6% less expensive to buy (but still carry the tariff). If the currencies move apart further, it will give Chinese consumers that much more incentive to wait for GF3 Teslas to start rolling before a purchase.

I think the extent of the dip was due to today's move signaling that the trade war may be long and gnarly.

The only overt TSLA manipulations I saw was a pushdown in the final 20 minutes of market trading. There was no macro move nor news that I am aware of to justify the final dip. Short percentage of selling was a modest 37%. I think the reason for such a low number is that call options that expire on Friday are low in number and today's dip took TSLA below.

aug5nas2.png

The NASDAQ lost 3.47% but TSLA lost only 2.57%

Normally a dip like this takes at least a couple days to run its course, so don't be surprised to see another down day for the market on Tuesday. The good news is that TSLA is showing strength and when the market mellows a bit, TSLA is looking ready to regain some of these losses.

Conditions:
* Dow down 767 (2.90%)
* NASDAQ down 278 (3.47%)
* TSLA 228.32, down 6.06 (2.57%)
* TSLA volume 7.0M shares
* Oil 55.28
* Percent of selling tagged to TSLA shorts: 37%

Last edited:
aug6chart.png

Today was a day of caution, both in the broader markets and in TSLA. The markets and TSLA opened high, but a little uncertainty about the trade war situation caused a mid-day dip in both that recovered by mid-afternoon.

Looking specifically at TSLA, volume was low (5.4M shares traded) and the early-afternoon dip also suggests that our accumulating party(ies) took the day off from accumulating. The pre-10am MMD was not in sych with the macro's dip, and so it could have been a manipulation. The percentage of selling by shorts was low, and that number suggests that even the hedge fund shorts were taking it easy today.

aug6nas.png

The NASDAQ had a solid day with a gain of 1.39%

aug6yuan.png

Here's a week-long look at the value of the Chinese Yuan from the other side, from the standpoint of how many yuan you could buy for a dollar. As you can see, there's been a climbing trend throughout August, with yesterday's spike by far the biggest. Fortunately for the markets, today we saw a small retreat from yesterday's pressure to weaken the yuan/strengthen the dollar, and the markets took the news positively.

aug6short.png

Shorts were tagged with doing 36.5% of TSLA selling

aug6tech.png

Here's the tech chart with the new trading showing under the 2Q ER stepdown of late July. TSLA was climbing fairly well from that low until the trade war concerns knocked it down a bit, and now TSLA is starting to work its way back up again.

Conditions:
* Dow up 312 (1.21%)
* NASDAQ up 107 (1.39%)
* TSLA 230.75, up 2.43 (1.06%)
* TSLA volume 5.4M shares
* Oil 53.43
* Percent of selling tagged to TSLA shorts: 36.5%

aug7chart.png

Today was similar to yesterday in which TSLA trading was primarily influenced by macro worries about the implications of the China currency dip. The larger market is trying to make up its mind whether investors should be worried about a lomg-term negtive catalyst or whether this is just a short-term worry that has already been priced into the market. As today progressed, the market warmed up to the idea that it's time to take advantage of the sale on stocks.

Looking specifically at TSLA, volume was especially low today, confirming most investors happy to stick with their shares at this price. As the macros heated up, so did TSLA. I suspect the buyers will return once the market sheds its worry mode. Let's hope the strength we saw in TSLA this afternoon is carried forward into tomorrow's trading. Let's hope the macros calm down this week so that TSLA's accumulators choose to resume their buying.

News today included stories (such as this one by Reuters) brought up the NHTSA's heartburn with Tesla talking about their Model 3 engineered to be the safest car in production.

aug7nas.png

aug8ihor.png

Looks like a small number of the smarter shorts have been taking advantage of the China trade war dip of the macros this week to tiptoe out of TSLA. This has been a minor tailwind offering a minor offset to the macro headwinds of this week.

aug7tech300.png

Since TSLA dipped with the macros on Monday, it has been slowly working its way back up, a situation likely to continue unless macro of TSLA negative news changes the equation. What's most impressive with this chart is the volume and how it has been falling since the big post-ER fall.

Conditions:
* Dow down 22 (0.09%)
* NASDAQ up 30 (0.38%)
* TSLA 233.42, up 2.67 (1.16%)
* TSLA volume 4.7M shares
* Oil 52.39
* Percent of selling tagged to TSLA shorts: 36.5%