Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parking Brake extra strong setting?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you press the button on the end of the shift lever the white "P" in the dashboard gear display lights up and you can hear the electric parking brakes energize. If you hold the button in for 2 seconds more the red parking brake symbol at the top of the dashboard display comes on.

I asked a mobile tech today what's the difference? First he commented that perhaps 2 people over the years had ever mentioned that to him. He then stated the second setting (hold the button until the red parking symbol lights) is actually a stronger parking brake setting, and should be considered when you're parking on a steep hill. Otherwise he said it shouldn't be used.

News to me. He seemed pretty confident of what he was talking about. Since I just discovered the existence of that extra push, and I don't live anywhere near hills, I guess ignorance has been bliss over these years. But something nice to know.

• Informative
Reactions: tomot
He then stated the second setting (hold the button until the red parking symbol lights) is actually a stronger parking brake setting, and should be considered when you're parking on a steep hill. Otherwise he said it shouldn't be used.

He is partially correct.

There are two settings. When you press the park button as usual, the car checks its front-to-rear angle to see if it's on an incline. If it determines that it's on an incline beyond a certain threshold, it automatically applies the parking brake at the stronger setting. Otherwise, it uses the weaker setting to reduce wear on the parking brake motor.

You can manually force it to use the stronger setting as you described, but there aren't too many situations where it would be necessary. The only time I've used it if I have the car up on ramps to work underneath it.

Excessive use of the stronger setting will reduce the life of the parking brake motor, which is why the car doesn't just use the stronger setting by default.

I am amazed I've owned my car 3.5 years and never knew about this. With my 2013 P85+ I tried this on level ground in a parking garage with the windows down. The regular Park mode makes the usual electric motor noise for the left and right rear parking brakes. When this mode kicks in, there is a "click" noise which I think is coming from the center traction motor / reduction gear area. Maybe something like a parking pawl engaging? I'm happy to read from previous poster that it will automatically engage when the car is inclined, since I'm guessing 99% of owners don't know about this.