Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parking in Westminster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven’t got my S yet but am thinking ahead re. parking near work.

I chatted to a traffic warden the other day and he said as long as I pay for the minimum charge every four hours I don’t have to move the car.

I might give this a go when I get the car as I have absolutely had it with South West Trains! How does anyone else find it, apart from the stress of finding a space at 8.45am, is it easy to pay every four hours, does the ParkRight app remind you to pay, any other things to consider? Any advice gratefully received.

If I were you, I'd park elsewhere and catch the tube or park upriver and catch a ferry.
Not only is Westminster a nightmare for traffic, you only need some nutter to kick off a terrorist incident and you'll be stuck for ever.

The problem is that the phone system reminds you immediately you park as you are paying for only 10 minutes and 10 minutes is when the system sends the reminder message for normal ICE parkers.

Also Westminster councils says "pay for just 10 minutes in Westminster’s on street pay-to-park bays and park for the maximum prescribed period", this does not suggest that you do not need to move though it is not clear.

You might change your tune when you try it. If you are driving up from south of the river, be ready for the "swarm" of cyclists during the rush hour. I've tried it a few times, but the "ware and tear" on my nerves was too much. You try to give them space to make things safer, but they just fill it with more cyclists.

11866484_966052933444773_5947986385050442183_n.jpg

You might change your tune when you try it. If you are driving up from south of the river, be ready for the "swarm" of cyclists during the rush hour. I've tried it a few times, but the "ware and tear" on my nerves was too much. You try to give them space to make things safer, but they just fill it with more cyclists.

View attachment 258477

I'm one of them! Always happy to see a Tesla during my cycle commute in London. I come up from Mitcham towards Southwark Bridge. Seeing more and more Teslas these days in London, especially Model X.

Thanks all. I’m used to driving round London and so am aware that the traffic situation might put me off long term. I’m going to give it a go though the odd time, so might report back with a few bits of advice when my car finally arrives.

I just asked a parkie (for me as well as you) he said that you don’t have to move after 4 hours but they’ve been told not to tell people about this

HOWEVER in Jan the rules change and you will need to move

Ooo. Thanks. It seems they want to encourage people to own electric cars when living in town but not to commute into town in them.

Well, my S is due at the end of Feb/ beginning of March so looks like if I do ever drive in it's going to be even less convenient! Hope they update the signage to clarify.

Tangential:

Some of the charging spaces (i.e. Requiring an APP to Pay to charge) include "free parking" in the price, so you might find that paying to charge, whilst at work, is cost-effective. Don't suppose you will need to charge from 9-to-5 though, unless you have a significant commute, or you can find a charging bay with only a 13AMP socket :)

Tangential:

Some of the charging spaces (i.e. Requiring an APP to Pay to charge) include "free parking" in the price, so you might find that paying to charge, whilst at work, is cost-effective. Don't suppose you will need to charge from 9-to-5 though, unless you have a significant commute, or you can find a charging bay with only a 13AMP socket :)

Yeah, that's right. You pay for the first 10 minutes and then get the rest of the 4 hours free. Which is cheap and almost seems worth it given that you don't have to pay congestion charge either. The problem now though is that if you have to move it every four hours it's going to make it a nightmare. Turn up at 8.30am, lucky to find a space. Pay for it. Set phone timer for four hours. Come out at 12.30pm and drive around for half an hour trying to find a space. etc...

Reactions: WannabeOwner