Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To Wales from Brussels in LHD Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So we're back from Wales. What a beautiful place! We went on some nice hikes up and around Mt. Snowdon, we met an Irish family and went for a short swim with them in one of those freezing lakes up there. Wonderful! We're definitely coming back. (And Stonehenge was pretty impressive too.)

It's always interesting to compare driving in various countries. Adjusting to driving one the left wasn't as a big a deal for me as I thought, but I do wish the car with all it's fancy hardware had some sort of easily selectable "British mode" to make sure it behaved properly on british roads:
As we drove off the train it seemed the car insisted the speed limits were in Km/h. So we switched to mph and didn't test that out any further.
Having to readjust the headlights for driving on the left is just stupid and should really be tied to the region you are driving in. The same goes for the Autopilot and TACC-setup.
Almost as if it forgot that it was in Britain, the autopilot would sometimes refuse to overtake on the motorway, preferring to attempt passing on the left instead. Over here, the Autopilot would never attempt to undertake someone on the motorway unless I forced it.
On the welsh country lanes without the central white lines the lane assist (or was it autopilot, don't remember) would try and nudge me to the right instead of the left a couple of times. Over here, autopilot would place the car on the correct side of the road even without central white lines.

Driving on the British motorways was a very relaxed experience. I think the well behaved, courteous drivers and low speed limits contributed to that. My model 3 was very noisy on the rough british motorways, though.

There were surprisingly few Tesla's around (except around London) and the Superchargers seemed to have fewer stalls than what I find here in the EU. But fast charging was never a problem thought we did have to take detours to find Superchargers in the London area. I prefer to use slow chargers whenever I'm stopped somewhere for a while, but that never really worked. The apps that were required the places I tried were unavailable for download if you had a phone number from from abroad. My dutch shell recharge card and german chargepoint card worked fine on the 50kW chargers I tried.

All in all this was a very nice trip. Now I just need to get my headlights adjusted again.

surprisingly few Tesla's around (except around London
Still the EV penetration is not that high in UK market because of various infrastructure related issues, politics and people’s reluctance to consider EV because of the high cost and lack of charging options. And many other factors with the government moving the deadline dates on every other opportunity!

So we're back from Wales. What a beautiful place! We went on some nice hikes up and around Mt. Snowdon, we met an Irish family and went for a short swim with them in one of those freezing lakes up there. Wonderful! We're definitely coming back. (And Stonehenge was pretty impressive too.)

It's always interesting to compare driving in various countries. Adjusting to driving one the left wasn't as a big a deal for me as I thought, but I do wish the car with all it's fancy hardware had some sort of easily selectable "British mode" to make sure it behaved properly on british roads:
As we drove off the train it seemed the car insisted the speed limits were in Km/h. So we switched to mph and didn't test that out any further.
Having to readjust the headlights for driving on the left is just stupid and should really be tied to the region you are driving in. The same goes for the Autopilot and TACC-setup.
Almost as if it forgot that it was in Britain, the autopilot would sometimes refuse to overtake on the motorway, preferring to attempt passing on the left instead. Over here, the Autopilot would never attempt to undertake someone on the motorway unless I forced it.
On the welsh country lanes without the central white lines the lane assist (or was it autopilot, don't remember) would try and nudge me to the right instead of the left a couple of times. Over here, autopilot would place the car on the correct side of the road even without central white lines.

Driving on the British motorways was a very relaxed experience. I think the well behaved, courteous drivers and low speed limits contributed to that. My model 3 was very noisy on the rough british motorways, though.

There were surprisingly few Tesla's around (except around London) and the Superchargers seemed to have fewer stalls than what I find here in the EU. But fast charging was never a problem thought we did have to take detours to find Superchargers in the London area. I prefer to use slow chargers whenever I'm stopped somewhere for a while, but that never really worked. The apps that were required the places I tried were unavailable for download if you had a phone number from from abroad. My dutch shell recharge card and german chargepoint card worked fine on the 50kW chargers I tried.

All in all this was a very nice trip. Now I just need to get my headlights adjusted again.
I've used UK AutoPilot on French motorways without any issue, clearly not tried the other way round though.

Glad you had a nice trip, Snowdonia is a lovely place to visit. Try the west coast of Scotland next time for majestic mountains and sea combined.

Thanks for the feedback about your experience.
I am planning a road trip in Europe around the end of this year and I have a question about adjusting the lights.
My Model 3 Manual says : “Headlights do not require adjustments when temporarily driving into a region where the traffic direction is different (for example, driving in right-hand traffic region, and then driving into a region with left-hand traffic).”
It looks like you had to do it manually and the car didn’t adjust the light for the UK roads If I understood correctly, so is it the manual wrong?

Thanks for the feedback about your experience.
I am planning a road trip in Europe around the end of this year and I have a question about adjusting the lights.
My Model 3 Manual says : “Headlights do not require adjustments when temporarily driving into a region where the traffic direction is different (for example, driving in right-hand traffic region, and then driving into a region with left-hand traffic).”
It looks like you had to do it manually and the car didn’t adjust the light for the UK roads If I understood correctly, so is it the manual wrong?
Yes, I'm aware of that. However, my lights were clearly lighting up peoples faces coming the other way (and people were flashing at me). When pointing the headlights at a white wall the low beams have the regular sharp cut off straight ahead with a couple of brighter blocks up to the right to light up the side of the road. Obviously, it should be the other way around when driving in the UK.

This is a "feature" of AP, starting from the 2023.32.x software update, not just affecting you as a visitor. My car also doesn't like overtaking on the motorway any more... (along with many others)

Yes, I'm aware of that. However, my lights were clearly lighting up peoples faces coming the other way (and people were flashing at me). When pointing the headlights at a white wall the low beams have the regular sharp cut off straight ahead with a couple of brighter blocks up to the right to light up the side of the road. Obviously, it should be the other way around when driving in the UK.
Good to know, thanks. I guess I will find out how it works with mine in December...