Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Partial Contacts Sync over Bluetooth

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am the only phone key on my M3, it would be great if others shared their experiences as this issue is annoying
I also have the problem with contact appearing /not responding in navigation. This is my most frequent contact. I have only one Tesla MX and am the only driver. The Bluetooth suddenly shows a Tesla connection possible with the code name of my car with an android connection locked but I am on Apple phone with latest vsoftware version. The car cannot connect with or locate this android connection. Weird that it even exists. Very frustrated.

I also have the problem with contact appearing /not responding in navigation. This is my most frequent contact. I have only one Tesla MX and am the only driver. The Bluetooth suddenly shows a Tesla connection possible with the code name of my car with an android connection locked but I am on Apple phone with latest vsoftware version. The car cannot connect with or locate this android connection. Weird that it even exists. Very frustrated.
I do not use exchange. Or outlook or Microsoft. Apple user.

Similar problem on my M3P, end of year 2019/beginning year 2020 with the AMD Ryzen chip, but does have hardware radar. Super frustrating. It's been a problem on and off ever since I've owned the car, but it used to be easily fixed with a unpair repair of the phone. For the last 6 weeks or so, no luck after whatever update did this. I've now spent hours combing through 1400 contacts and removing symbols from first/middle/last names... including slashes, backslashes, @ symbols, dollars signs, underscores... but I'm leaving dashes, apostrophes, commas, and parentheses. I get the car, contacts load and look normal for about 30 seconds, then it goes back to "loading" and it never gets right again while I'm connected in the car. Basically the same thing it's been doing for weeks now. They have to fix this, it's unbearable. Next I'll see if any contact is a "vcard"... if Outlook could ever make this easier to tell in the modern versions of Outlook I'd love it. To go through all the symbols, I've been exporting to CSV, converting to Excel, then searching that way.
EDIT- I have Outlook 365, Exchange email at work, iphone 14 (about to be on version 17.2.1 here in a minute). A coworker has the same exact set up with an iphone 13, and his car works fine but it is an older intel chip M3.

Last edited:
OK... check this out. Did a little test to see if some of the weird characters would obviously break anything. One of my contacts is now named (-@-), and it works apparently. Ampersand "&" and period symbols are also OK I guess, because they also show up for a good while (longer than 30 seconds lately) before the whole thing stops responding (goes to loading). More tests to go, but nothing obvious yet.

Attachments

• upload this.png
    upload this.png
    351.6 KB · Views: 33
Eureka(?) almost. It's acting better after I went through and cleared up the number fields... so during this most recent test Contacts and Favorites showed up (first time in 6 weeks I think) but Recent Calls is still crapping out after 45 seconds or something.
Details: I started deleting extra text in my phone number fields in my contacts. Most suspicious one was a question mark "?" ... as in "555-555-5555, right?" or something like that. Also got rid of extensions in there like "555-555-5555 ext.123".
EDIT: Well it didn't stay fixed for long. I deleted two contacts, and now nothing on the phone screen works in the car. Rebooting phone didn't help, now I'm rebooting the car (screen). Not fun when fixes don't stay fixed.

Last edited:
M3P, end of year 2019/beginning year 2020 with the AMD Ryzen chip, ... A coworker has the same exact set up with an iphone 13, and his car works fine but it is an older intel chip M3.
Correction, mine has the Intel Atom chip, double checked under the "Additional Vehicle Settings".
Correction on number of contacts showing on my iphone:
3968 for Microsoft Exchange.
1237 for "Contacts" (these overlap with the Exchange one as far as I can tell).
2699 for Suggested Contacts.

Last edited:
Fixed? I might have fixed mine for good, we'll see. During this last bit of editing contacts, I found two addresses that had slashes in them, and one or two other addresses with weird formatting. I ended up deleting ALL addresses from all contacts, and so far the contact sync in the car seems to be behaving better than before. We'll see if it sticks. The one lingering issue in the car right now is the favorites are duplicated triplicated in some weird way so that something like 7 or 8 contacts show up 2 or 3 times, but my final contact only shows up once at the very end after scrolling down. It's strange because I only have 9 favorite contacts on my phone (aka, I shouldn't have to scroll in my car favorites contacts, it should all be on one screen).
EDIT: second time walking into car, it's showing 8 contacts out of the 9 it should show. Closer, but not right yet. And is it normal for the phone contacts to take 30 to 60 seconds to load every time?

Last edited:
Nope, broken again... no new contacts, no changes from what I did on January 8th, but I did get a new car system update, ver 2023.44.30.8. This is so random and frustrating. The very latest is it loads recent calls but nothing else. Cannot tell the car "call XYZ" to call that person.

It's now January 22, 2024. The last thing I tried was, while sitting in the car, on the iphone... bluetooth settings for the connection to the car, you can pick Only sync Favorites and Recent calls (not all contacts). Did that to eliminate all the possible things going on with the thousands of contacts I have. Still inconsistent results. Sometimes my 9 favorites load up after about 60-90 seconds and all is well. Sometimes they never load up and I can't call by saying "Call xyz". I guess the only thing next is to bluetooth-re-pair the phone, reboot everything, delete all my favorites, re add my favs. Somehow, I don't think it will make any difference, done most of that already various times.

Just to add my name to this issue. I have a 2024 M3 (highland), and I have no favorites and only my contacts from C-Z. Contacts starting with A or B, and a handful of C are missing. The Recent calls is showing. I have some icloud and some from a Microsoft Exchange account. The C-Z contacts are a mix of icloud contacts and Exchange contacts.

Just to add my name to this issue. I have a 2024 M3 (highland), and I have no favorites and only my contacts from C-Z. Contacts starting with A or B, and a handful of C are missing. The Recent calls is showing. I have some icloud and some from a Microsoft Exchange account. The C-Z contacts are a mix of icloud contacts and Exchange contacts.
I fixed my issue. I believe it was related to the "&". I had 3 contacts with an & in the name (3 businesses). I removed one and changed the "&" to "and" . The next time I got in the car, I saw all the contacts and favorites worked.