Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Passive Entry not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a problem with my passive entry. One day I realized my door handles weren’t presenting by them selves. First I thought it was something to do with some update so I went to the configurations but everything was ok. Then I thought it was the antenas but they were working too. Long story short after so much time looking for the problem I detected a broken cable inside the driver’s door, more specifically in the rubber between the door and the body. It’s the antena’s wire and I had to weld it. It has 3 wires, a red, a black and another one that looks like some cable but in the both ends (inside the door and under the steering wheel) you can see the other one is purple. I’m going to leave a picture and if anyone has any questions I’m going to do my best to answer the faster that I can.

Attachments

• IMG_4032.jpeg
    IMG_4032.jpeg
    287.7 KB · Views: 132
  • Informative
Reactions: KalJoMoS
I have a 2014 MS that I bought about 3 months ago, and am having the same issue. I had my first mobile service today for another issue but I asked the tech about the sensor and he said it was in the drivers mirror housing, and also said they had issues with the wiring harness. This seems to agree with this post and the broken wire in the hinge where it gets flexed a lot. I'll check mine tomorrow! Thanks for the post!

I have a 2014 MS that I bought about 3 months ago, and am having the same issue. I had my first mobile service today for another issue but I asked the tech about the sensor and he said it was in the drivers mirror housing, and also said they had issues with the wiring harness. This seems to agree with this post and the broken wire in the hinge where it gets flexed a lot. I'll check mine tomorrow! Thanks for the post!
Leave your feedback tomorrow please, thank you!

Ok, short answer, didn't find any broken wires. Ended up taking off the driver's door panel and had a heck of a time getting it back on, the clips at the window trim were squashed making it hard to go ever the sheet metal.

Here are pictures of the door w/o the panel for anyone interested. My garage is a mess so worked in the driveway, but expecting a snow storm soon so once I got the panel back on decided to call it a day.

I'd ordered a MCU trip bezel that I want to install to replace my dinged up bezel, but am NOT taking the dash apart in the driveway with a snow storm bearing down on me!

As for the passive entry, I'll probably take it to the Service Center to troubleshoot and see what the cost will be.

Attachments

• door pressure sensor.jpg
    door pressure sensor.jpg
    326.6 KB · Views: 24
  • door handle control unit.jpg
    door handle control unit.jpg
    316.7 KB · Views: 18
  • door & door handle control units.jpg
    door & door handle control units.jpg
    415.2 KB · Views: 24
  • under the door panel.jpg
    under the door panel.jpg
    819.2 KB · Views: 19
  • driver mirror wiring.jpg
    driver mirror wiring.jpg
    631.3 KB · Views: 19
  • driver mirror connectors.jpg
    driver mirror connectors.jpg
    511.9 KB · Views: 20
  • driver mirror wiring 2.jpg
    driver mirror wiring 2.jpg
    654.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 10mm screw on driver door.jpg
    10mm screw on driver door.jpg
    409.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 2 screws behind driver door handle.jpg
    2 screws behind driver door handle.jpg
    452.8 KB · Views: 19
  • driver door wiring harness.jpg
    driver door wiring harness.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 18
Ok, short answer, didn't find any broken wires. Ended up taking off the driver's door panel and had a heck of a time getting it back on, the clips at the window trim were squashed making it hard to go ever the sheet metal.

Here are pictures of the door w/o the panel for anyone interested. My garage is a mess so worked in the driveway, but expecting a snow storm soon so once I got the panel back on decided to call it a day.

I'd ordered a MCU trip bezel that I want to install to replace my dinged up bezel, but am NOT taking the dash apart in the driveway with a snow storm bearing down on me!

As for the passive entry, I'll probably take it to the Service Center to troubleshoot and see what the cost will be.
Did you see the thick red wire? On the last pic I couldn’t see it. Maybe you have to look inside the door. If the wire broke it can be inside the door…

If you only peaked in the corrugated rubber sleeve then take another look. If the wires are broken then it is seen in the middle of that section, not on the edges. Have a look here, you san slide that sleeve inside the door to have clear view of the wires.

If you only peaked in the corrugated rubber sleeve then take another look. If the wires are broken then it is seen in the middle of that section, not on the edges. Have a look here, you san slide that sleeve inside the door to have clear view of the wires.
Thanks. Yeah, with the weather coming quickly, I didn't do a good inspection like I intended. I'm replacing the MCU bezel today and will probably take another look at the door wiring. Thanks for the additional pictures, that's a big help.

It seems to be an intermittent problem. Reading the manual it says to gently push on the handle to get it to present. I was under the impression I just needed to touch the handle, not push it. I went out to the car last night and pushed a bit harder and voila, it presented! I then locked it and tried several more times, and it didn't!!! Maybe it's a timing issue after locking the door? I'll try more today/tomorrow.

Thanks for your help!

Reactions: KalJoMoS
Ok, got back to this today and didn't find any broken wires in the section at the door hinge, see picture. I moved the wires around to check them all and none are physically broken,though who knows what's happening under the insulation!

I also took off the panel over the handle assembly and didn't see any obvious wiring problems, but the harness is wrapped to the plug, so not much to see. I didn't do any continuity checks.

I'll open a service case and see what service can tell me.

On a happier note, I replaced my ding'd up MCU bezel and it now looks great again, so the day wasn't a complete waste of time!

Attachments

• IMG_20231229_144027.png
    IMG_20231229_144027.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 20
Reactions: .Lemos and KalJoMoS
Definitely an intermittent problem. I went out to charge the car and pressing the drivers door handle, it presented! Yay. I waited a couple minutes and tried it again, and again it opened. Yay! I waited a few more minutes and.... Nope. I went back in the house. I came back out after about 20 minutes. Nope. No consistency.

Ok, so I just heard back from the SC regarding this issue. It appears that I misread and misunderstood this feature. Hey, I'm a newbie learning on the fly! To start, my 2014 MS 60 does not have the Tech Package.

When I read the user manual it appeared that that was only needed to auto-present the handles when a fob is detected, w/o having to press the door handle. I thought that pressing the door handle would unlock the car and present the handle.

After re-reading the user guide and messaging back and forth with the SC getting not too clear explanations, I *think* I now understand how this feature should work on my car, please confirm, thanks in advance!

The user guide says that this only works if the car is unlocked, that then pressing the handle will extend it. Is that the case? It is not intended to unlock the car first and extend the handle?

So if I use my fob or mobile app to unlock the car and get in to heat the car while my wife is preparing to leave the house, after a minute or so the handles retract into the body but the car is still unlocked(?). She then comes out of the house, presses on the passenger door handle, it extends and she gets into the car. Is that how this is used?

It seems odd that the car has to be unlocked for this to work but the handles do automatically retract, which in my mind meant that the car was locked, but apparently it isn't. Only then does pressing the handle make it extend. If the car actually IS locked, pressing the handle does nothing, by design, unless I have the Tech Package. Do I have it right now?

Different versions of the user manual have different verbiage, see attached, this is why I was confused! "Although you must be carrying a valid key, there is no need to use it" and "When you walk up to Model S carrying your key, the doors automatically unlock if Passive Entry is on (Controls > Safety & Security >Passive Entry). If a door handle is retracted, press it and it extends.

I've been told that that Passive Entry is only available with the Tech Package, but reading this I thought that the "press handle to present" was supported on all cars w/o the Tech Package. This version of the manual doesn't even mention the Tech Package! Argggggg!!!!

Attachments

• Tesla MS unlocking.jpg
    Tesla MS unlocking.jpg
    529.3 KB · Views: 27