Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pay body shop to fix panel alignment?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One panel in particular (Falcon Wing Door) is misaligned and Tesla of course claims it is within spec. Annoys me enough that I'm willing to pay a body shop to correct the alignment. Has anyone gone through this? Couple of questions: A) can the alignment actually be fixed? B) Any drawbacks? C) Assuming can be done, will Tesla's body shop be willing to do it, or do I need to go to a 3rd party shop?

Thanks for any help/advice.

alignment can be fixed. It’s an adventure.

There are MANY points of adjustment on the fwd, it’ll take them 2-10hrs depending how perfect you want it.

Been there, done that, now I live with it. And yes, it will go back out of alignment in time.

Post a pic of what you’re trying to have fixed

alignment can be fixed. It’s an adventure.

There are MANY points of adjustment on the fwd, it’ll take them 2-10hrs depending how perfect you want it.

Been there, done that, now I live with it. And yes, it will go back out of alignment in time.

Post a pic of what you’re trying to have fixed

I have the same thing - driver rear door only the back of the door has to come up about 1/4 " to match the body lines? Ive read through the adjustments they can really loose you. Any tips on just getting the back of the door up ( front is lined up correctly. I know easier said than done.

One panel in particular (Falcon Wing Door) is misaligned and Tesla of course claims it is within spec. Annoys me enough that I'm willing to pay a body shop to correct the alignment. Has anyone gone through this? Couple of questions: A) can the alignment actually be fixed? B) Any drawbacks? C) Assuming can be done, will Tesla's body shop be willing to do it, or do I need to go to a 3rd party shop?

Thanks for any help/advice.

Pictures?

Pics below only tear driver door back front is perfect

Attachments

• D49DCECE-8157-43AE-BB6E-B44325415F4D.jpeg
    D49DCECE-8157-43AE-BB6E-B44325415F4D.jpeg
    484.8 KB · Views: 207
  • 9733AE88-4DAA-4F48-A018-8DBB918489A3.jpeg
    9733AE88-4DAA-4F48-A018-8DBB918489A3.jpeg
    565.3 KB · Views: 109
Pics below only tear driver door back front is perfect

This is identical to my left side FWD when I first got it.
I complained about this at delivery. They said they'd fix it. They didn't touch the FWD. Instead, the lowered the left side of the liftgate to match the top of the sunken FWD and they trimmed the fender garnish clip receptacle to allow it to sag to match the garnish on the sagging FWD.

The bump stops on the roofs were also pushed all the way up so the doors would sink below the roof line bending the FWD glass roof seals backwards each time the door closed. This is why the roof seals deteriorate over time.

Tesla claimed it was within spec.

Ultimately, every single panel needed alignment. Hood, front fenders, front doors, FWDs, and liftgate. The left and right rear quarter glass were also badly aligned because they were installed last to match the misalignments. I got them to replace the right rear but not the left. Now that I've fixed the left side to perfection, the only thing left now is to replace the left quarter glass myself. Most of the window trim needed adjusting as well since it was installed to split the difference between different misalignments.

In all, I've spent 20+ hours. Shot a lot of videos that I need to edit and post.

Some threads to start with:

This is identical to my left side FWD when I first got it.
I complained about this at delivery. They said they'd fix it. They didn't touch the FWD. Instead, the lowered the left side of the liftgate to match the top of the sunken FWD and they trimmed the fender garnish clip receptacle to allow it to sag to match the garnish on the sagging FWD.

The bump stops on the roofs were also pushed all the way up so the doors would sink below the roof line bending the FWD glass roof seals backwards each time the door closed. This is why the roof seals deteriorate over time.

Tesla claimed it was within spec.

Ultimately, every single panel needed alignment. Hood, front fenders, front doors, FWDs, and liftgate. The left and right rear quarter glass were also badly aligned because they were installed last to match the misalignments. I got them to replace the right rear but not the left. Now that I've fixed the left side to perfection, the only thing left now is to replace the left quarter glass myself. Most of the window trim needed adjusting as well since it was installed to split the difference between different misalignments.

In all, I've spent 20+ hours. Shot a lot of videos that I need to edit and post.

Some threads to start with:

Wow, that's impressive and thanks for providing all this info. I definitely won't be doing it myself as I'm not mechanically savvy / handy at all. Good to know with some effort it can be done. I will probably speak with Tesla's body shop and see if I can get a quote.