Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paying for Tesla with credit cards to earn cash back

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Between points and cash back, my net earnings were $1599.15, after $663.40 in Plastiq fees. Yeah, I know some guy beat me to it in 2018 with a Chase business card and made like $5000. I'm still salty about that. I also applied for the same card that year, but didn't get approved in time to for the previous Model 3 purchase.

Our old Model 3 was totaled in November, and I'm picking up a new LR AWD this Saturday. The bill payment service Plastiq has a targeted offer of a 1% fee for payments by credit card until the end of the month. That makes me a profit with any credit card that has over 1% in rewards.

I signed up for a business card with Capital One, hoping to earn a sweet $2000 bonus on the purchase, but the credit limit was only enough for a $500 bonus. I put the rest on a Chase Freedom card with the equivalent of 3% back in points (transferred to Chase Sapphire). I know some people have had bad experiences with Plastiq, so I confirmed that Tesla has been receiving the wire transfers.

Pro tip: Plastiq limits the %1 offer to 3 payments of $20k, but I was able to make 4 payments with a 1% fee by submitting two of them in separate browser windows.

Other tips for using Plastiq with Tesla:
  • Definitely don't send checks through Plastiq, many people had their checks lost
  • The bank account number for wire transfers in your purchase agreement is specific to the order, so add a new wire transfer recipient in Plastiq
  • I used "Tesla Motors Inc." as the recipient name from the wire instructions
  • For the contact, I entered my SA's name and email, and for the physical address and phone number I used Tesla's HQ: 3500 Deer Creek Rd, Palo Alto, CA 94304 and (888) 518-3752 or (650) 681-5000.
  • In the first wire memo line I put the order number, a comma, and my name as directed by the purchase agreement. I left the second line blank. Plastiq remembers the memo line for future payments.