Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone ever filed a credit card dispute with Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m wondering if anyone’s ever filed a credit card dispute with Tesla for a repair? I’ve taken my car back four times to get the bottom seat cushion repaired/replaced and every time there’s a different issue. Can’t get anybody on the phone, of course, and they almost never respond to chat after the ticket is closed. At this point I’d rather get a refund and replace it myself and I’m sick of going back. I’m worried if I file a dispute, my car will be blacklisted from all service centers in the future. Any thoughts?

I’m worried if I file a dispute, my car will be blacklisted from all service centers in the future. Any thoughts?

I could see that happening. I think it would be very misguided to attempt any sort of chargeback, especially since quite a bit of the work needs to be done by tesla on these cars, AND they control their own supercharging network.

Eating the charge and doing work on the car yourself? Sure. Trying to get a refund at the service center? Sure. Charging it back? I certainly wouldnt, unless you are also selling the car and never going to use anything tesla related for the rest of time.

If your chargeback is successful they could file a mechanics lien on your vehicle for the work that they performed. (Not that I have heard of them doing that, but I know other repair centers that have resorted to that.)

How much money are we talking about? What is the actual issue? Are you saying they didn't do the work you agreed to and paid for?

Reactions: DocHolliday
I’m wondering if anyone’s ever filed a credit card dispute with Tesla for a repair? I’ve taken my car back four times to get the bottom seat cushion repaired/replaced and every time there’s a different issue. Can’t get anybody on the phone, of course, and they almost never respond to chat after the ticket is closed. At this point I’d rather get a refund and replace it myself and I’m sick of going back. I’m worried if I file a dispute, my car will be blacklisted from all service centers in the future. Any thoughts?
Yep. I have filed a dispute for a vehicle and solar deposit. Got my money back both times and no adverse impact.

• Informative
Reactions: afadeev
Yep. I have filed a dispute for a vehicle and solar deposit. Got my money back both times and no adverse impact.
For a vehicle service or for a vehicle deposit?

For the seat cushion, first time they diagnosed but didn’t have the part, second time had the wrong part, third time they said it was defective causing bunching, fourth time they replaced with a new cushion, still bunching, even though I was told manager would review it before pickup, and now they want me to come back a fifth time for an adjustment. I paid $500 for the diagnosis and replacement of the seat cushion due to the seat heater not working, not cheap by any means

I’m wondering if anyone’s ever filed a credit card dispute with Tesla for a repair? I’ve taken my car back four times to get the bottom seat cushion repaired/replaced and every time there’s a different issue.

First of all, sorry to hear you are going through this PITA service experience.

Can’t get anybody on the phone, of course, and they almost never respond to chat after the ticket is closed.

That's pretty much par for the course, with Tesla.

At this point I’d rather get a refund and replace it myself and I’m sick of going back. I’m worried if I file a dispute, my car will be blacklisted from all service centers in the future. Any thoughts?

Anything is possible with Tesla service.
Charge-back request is a pretty hard and confrontational move. I'm not saying it's not justified in your case, but that it's not a move you make without being prepared to deal with some blow-back.

For the seat cushion, first time they diagnosed but didn’t have the part, second time had the wrong part, third time they said it was defective causing bunching, fourth time they replaced with a new cushion, still bunching, even though I was told manager would review it before pickup, and now they want me to come back a fifth time for an adjustment. I paid $500 for the diagnosis and replacement of the seat cushion due to the seat heater not working, not cheap by any means

How close are you to the date by which you can no longer dispute the charge (it varies across banks)?
If there is still time to give Tesla service center 1 more chance to set things right (100% on their dime), I would give it a go.
If not, I would document the hack out of the situation (pictures, messages from SC, emails, etc.), to the level you would do if you were to take Tesla to small claims court. Then fire away with the dispute.

People have taken Tesla to small claims court for various reasons, and won awards that got paid out without any retaliation.
Alas, if you don't accept delivery of a dinged-up new car, Tesla might black list you from ordering another one. Or not.
Tesla's service practices (there are no policies) are somewhere between whimsical and random.

If the pain of loosing $500 exceeds whatever pain you would have to go through to settle future disputes with Tesla in small claims court (* probability of that eventuality), then dispute away.

If it doesn't, then relax, bend over, and take it from uncle Elon!

HTH,
a