Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Payment method: Plaid vs direct draft

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
yes it does, just click cancel and it will show up
thx, I just spent the last 20 minutes trying every permutation and always get wire transfer or certified check.
I installed the latest version of the app this morning.

attaching all screens... after banks are listed, type in search for manual, hit exit or cancel or X results in following dark screens. no option for ACH

What am I doing wrong?

Attachments

• IMG_0663.PNG
    IMG_0663.PNG
    95.8 KB · Views: 267
  • IMG_0662.PNG
    IMG_0662.PNG
    118.8 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_0661.PNG
    IMG_0661.PNG
    149.6 KB · Views: 186
thx, I just spent the last 20 minutes trying every permutation and always get wire transfer or certified check.
I installed the latest version of the app this morning.

attaching all screens... after banks are listed, type in search for manual, hit exit or cancel or X results in following dark screens. no option for ACH

What am I doing wrong?
This has been one of my concerns. I absolutely do not want to give Plaid my log in details. The very lease Tesla can do is to have Plaid commit to deleting all information once Tesla's payment is deducted from the customer's account. After reading your write up, I am thinking of using a bank check. My capital one bank takes a week to mail a cashier's check. I could do a wire transfer, but I don't like the idea of transferring funds prior to even inspecting the car. Especially with the poor initial build quality coming from Fremont. I will be keen to know what method you finally end up using.

Reactions: Dracaris
This has been one of my concerns. I absolutely do not want to give Plaid my log in details. The very lease Tesla can do is to have Plaid commit to deleting all information once Tesla's payment is deducted from the customer's account. After reading your write up, I am thinking of using a bank check. My capital one bank takes a week to mail a cashier's check. I could do a wire transfer, but I don't like the idea of transferring funds prior to even inspecting the car. Especially with the poor initial build quality coming from Fremont. I will be keen to know what method you finally end up using.
I bought a cashiers check for $10 at the bank (after a wire from Brokerage). Delivery tomorrow.

Apparently Plaid uses your account name and password to set up an ACH Transfer.

BTW, The Delivery Team says there is no option to inspect the car, only accept the car with defects, that must be reported within 24 hours. The Service Center will make repairs.

Went to Sunnyvale Tesla Showroom, no cars available, all demos sold, no test drives, empty showroom. Staff told me big focus on delivery...

Last edited:
There is a way to use ACH to pay for the Tesla vehicle without using Plaid.

"There is a way to do an ACH through the app which our SA told me about which I successfully executed. If you go through the Plaid process until you get to the point of choosing a bank from a list, rather than choosing a bank (even if yours is there), type manual into the search function and hit the exit button that shows up at the bottom of the page. From there you can manually enter the routing number and account number and send a regular ACH. The app accepted the payment and zeroed out our balance due when I executed this procedure. It was a lot easier than stopping at a bank and felt a lot more secure than giving out our login info to all our bank accounts."

See post #99:

Paying for car without forking over my online banking creds?

I bought a cashiers check for $10 at the bank (after a wire from Brokerage). Delivery tomorrow.

Apparently Plaid uses your account name and password to set up an ACH Transfer.

BTW, The Delivery Team says there is no option to inspect the car, only accept the car with defects, that must be reported within 24 hours. The Service Center will make repairs.

Went to Sunnyvale Tesla Showroom, no cars available, all demos sold, no test drives, empty showroom. Staff told me big focus on delivery...
Once payment is taken out of my account I will just delete Plaid authorization and change username and password.

Took delivery yesterday of 22' MYP.

One thing kind of odd yesterday. I asked them to unlock before I hit accept delivery. No problem they did that. Everything looked good (nothing glaring) so I accepted delivery. When I went to pay the balance I hit pay final balance and it just went to the next step. I didn't have me input anything. I bought the 21 MYLR in January and for the new car it just debited the same bank account. Just wanted to point that out to anyone else doing the old switcheroo like me in case you wanted to use a different bank account than before. I thought this was odd that they had my info stored and didn't even ask me to confirm. How do I get them to not store my bank account information kinda scary now that I think about it. I provided them no account number no routing number they did not confirm my account. They debited the same account I used 11 months ago instantly. Very odd. I was hoping it was a glitch and I came up on no down payment. But it debited my account.

Took delivery yesterday of 22' MYP.

One thing kind of odd yesterday. I asked them to unlock before I hit accept delivery. No problem they did that. Everything looked good (nothing glaring) so I accepted delivery. When I went to pay the balance I hit pay final balance and it just went to the next step. I didn't have me input anything. I bought the 21 MYLR in January and for the new car it just debited the same bank account. Just wanted to point that out to anyone else doing the old switcheroo like me in case you wanted to use a different bank account than before. I thought this was odd that they had my info stored and didn't even ask me to confirm. How do I get them to not store my bank account information kinda scary now that I think about it. I provided them no account number no routing number they did not confirm my account. They debited the same account I used 11 months ago instantly. Very odd. I was hoping it was a glitch and I came up on no down payment. But it debited my account.
you need to delete Plaid from your online bank account.

Reactions: Leeclanual
Once payment is taken out of my account I will just delete Plaid authorization and change username and password.
How does one delete Plaid authorization? Most banks do not list who are given access other than linked accounts. I doubt Plaid is going to even bother responding to your request. They will keep accessing the data and selling the information. With lack of consumer rights in the US, it is a field day for unscrupulous businesses to screw customers. That is why most American businesses get whacked and fined when they enter Europe and soon learn to behave there, but continue their old ways here in the US.

That doesn't address Plaid's access to your entire account history and the likelihood that it was already saved away in a database for later marketing uses.
That’s true but I assume my entire life is on various marketing data bases anyway. It goes with the territory these days. I used Plaid after researching it. It was convenient and I was comfortable with it. For those that aren’t there are alternative.

TIP: Wait a few seconds after cancelling/exiting Plaid Link.

I could not find the manual ACH method despite all the hacks here, but discovered that after cancelling, it takes a few seconds for a manual option dialog to present itself. If you start tapping into Add Payment Method right away, you won't see the dialog. If you catch the dialog, you can do a manual ACH and it works great.

• Helpful
Reactions: mswlogo and Noflash
TIP: Wait a few seconds after cancelling/exiting Plaid Link.

I could not find the manual ACH method despite all the hacks here, but discovered that after cancelling, it takes a few seconds for a manual option dialog to present itself. If you start tapping into Add Payment Method right away, you won't see the dialog. If you catch the dialog, you can do a manual ACH and it works great.
What date did you try this out? When I tried multiple times 4 days back, this is what I got:
1641924753133.png