Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pedestrian warning sound

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone installed a warning chime, like a remote control door bell located in the frunk with the button near the driver so we can inform pedestrians in parking lots, side streets, etc. that we are close without scaring them by blowing the horn? If so, what did you buy and how well does it work?

What do you plan on using? Something is desperately needed. So many people pay zero attention.

It's been months since I first posted about this.. in the mean time, we decided to sell two houses and buy a third, and consolidate two houses into one. Now that that's complete, and I'm done setting up my new office and workbench, I'll have time to revisit this project very soon!

But in case anyone else wants to do something similar, I am planning on using either:

Adafruit Audio FX Sound Board + 2x2W Amp - WAV/OGG Trigger -16MB
or
Adafruit Audio FX Mini Sound Board - WAV/OGG Trigger - 2MB Flash plus a small amp. Just not sure how many watts I'll need to make it audible to pedestrians. I would install it in the frunk trim area somewhere.

These devices store 10 or so different sounds.

And I was going to integrate a 4-channel or 12-channel key fob remote to trigger the sounds.

And yes, this will be one of them:

Last edited:
Reactions: PrGrPa
Has anyone installed a warning chime, like a remote control door bell located in the frunk with the button near the driver so we can inform pedestrians in parking lots, side streets, etc. that we are close without scaring them by blowing the horn? If so, what did you buy and how well does it work?

Florida + Model S Air-conditioner == You're not going to need to worry about informing pedestrians of your presence.

Fresh snow, quiet northern latitude winter, you can sneak up and cut someone’s Achilles with a knife before they hear you in my S.... as much as I hate the thought of making noise with this car, I actually think that the jetson car sound described above is a great option for safety and a chuckle....

Reactions: PrGrPa
Ok, it's the weekend, so I dug out all the parts and have a prototype working really well:

The remote has four relays, and can control four different sounds.

Button A: Jetson's car sound (single loop)
Button B: Courtesy horn
Button C: R2D2
Button D: Jeston's car sound continuous -- one press to start, one press to stop​

I also have a larger remote that can control 11 different sounds using the same sound board.
upload_2018-4-7_19-48-32.png

It's just A LOT bigger -- here are the two remote boards and remotes next to each other.
upload_2018-4-7_19-48-13.png

The sounds (either 4 or 11) are totally programmable by the user by saving .WAV files to the FX board via USB.

I'm also using a USB powered speaker+amp (Jambox) in the video via the AUX-IN connection. I'm looking for a better solution for in-car mounting. This also leaves open for anyone to use any amp+speaker combination they choose.

If this were wrapped up in a neat little package which would be similar to installing a single channel dashcam (+12V power, running some wires), how much would you pay for it?

Last edited:
Ok, it's the weekend, so I dug out all the parts and have a prototype working really well: .....
I'm also using a USB powered speaker+amp (Jambox) in the video via the AUX-IN connection. I'm looking for a better solution for in-car mounting. This also leaves open for anyone to use any amp+speaker combination they choose.
....... If this were wrapped up in a neat little package which would be similar to installing a single channel dashcam (+12V power, running some wires), how much would you pay for it?

Awesome project . . . WAY fun/creative!

Wishful thinking pricing:
1. ABCD w/o amp/speaker: $79.99
2. ABCD with amp/speaker combo: $129.99
3. 1-12 w/o amp speaker: $99.00
4. 1-12 with amp speaker combo: $149.00
. . . plus shipping of course ;)

Sign me up for a #1, thank you! :) :)

i say let Darwinism do its thing...

When i was 5 years old my mom taught me to look both ways before crossing the street... look left, then right then left again... it works every time!!

but then again this was a time when kids were also insane enough to not wear helmets, knee pads and elbow pads to ride a bicycle...

pay attention people... problem solved!!

LOL

• Love
Reactions: GDNTX
i say let Darwinism do its thing...

So, we should just run over people slowly walking down the center lane of a parking lot, oblivious to the fact there's a two ton car behind them wanting to get by? And no, the sound of the tires alone doesn't make enough noise to alert people like this. They are conditioned to listen for motor/engine sounds coming up behind them.

A loud honk, even a short one, will startle and piss off people like this.. 'obnoxious Tesla driver!!'... whereas a nice little 'toot toot' pedestrian horn solves the problem, gets people out of your way, and they're not pissed of, startled, or annoyed. I think that's called a 'win-win'.

Just suggesting (with a touch of humor) that the responsibility is with both parties. If you are walking across the street where you know cars are passing by, you might want to consider looking where you are going. some ICE cars can be equally as quiet at low speeds.

I also believe that this is not an issue as well if the driver is paying equal attention to their environment. Especially Tesla drivers who know their cars are quite.

I am not against anything that will help to keep a bad situation from happening but at the same time I find it sad that we have to invent solutions to fill gaps in common sense.

that being said i would like to put in a vote for the Austin Power instrumental theme music...LOL

Last edited:
I am not against anything that will help to keep a bad situation from happening but at the same time I find it sad that we have to invent solutions to fill gaps in common sense.

Oh, I totally agree with this. But it's a real problem.

There have been times (fewer though) in my ICE car where I'd like a pedestrian horn instead of the regular horn to alert people.. or even just to give people a hint the light turned GREEN and to stop using their phone and GO.[/QUOTE]

Oh, I totally agree with this. But it's a real problem.

There have been times (fewer though) in my ICE car where I'd like a pedestrian horn instead of the regular horn to alert people.. or even just to give people a hint the light turned GREEN and to stop using their phone and GO.
A pedestrian horn or “reminder beep” may be useful if you’re “really not attuned to the subtleties of the horn, yet” in the Model S ;)