Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

People are so confused with the door handles

Aug 13, 2020
Chicago
I never thought about this until I owned a Tesla, but the door handle design on the M3 and MY is just horrible. I have so many scratches on and around the handle from people trying on multiple attempts to figure it out. Anytime someone gets in my car for the first time, they have no idea how to open the door.

Is there any reliable aftermarket solution that helps "assist" with the handles? It would be nice if there is an aftermarket option to make the handles operate similar to the Model S or Model X.

2101Guy

Jan 6, 2020
USA
I never thought about this until I owned a Tesla, but the door handle design on the M3 and MY is just horrible. I have so many scratches on and around the handle from people trying on multiple attempts to figure it out. Anytime someone gets in my car for the first time, they have no idea how to open the door.

Is there any reliable aftermarket solution that helps "assist" with the handles? It would be nice if there is an aftermarket option to make the handles operate similar to the Model S or Model X.

Puma2020

Jun 16, 2020
New Hampshire, USA
IMHO, not horrible.
New... YES
Usually takes a new person 1 time to learn how to operate them.
Humans are thought to be adaptable but change is difficult for most.
Part of the issue is understanding why they are now recessed (to reduce drag).

OrthoSurg

Jun 2, 2017
Montreal
Based on M3/MY adoption rate, everybody on the planet will soon know how to use these handles.
Yes it’s just annoying the first time you pick up someone and have to explain them how to enter the car and then how to exit the car. At some point you expect them to understand however some have problems learning

Ruffles

Jun 13, 2017
Snohomish WA
HansShow makes an illuminated auto presenting handle for the 3 & Y but the video I found on youtube about showed it had issues. When I had my X, no one could ever figure those out either. I had to tell them to push hard on the pointy end. I like the S handles the most because you can easily use either hand.

lardlad00

Apr 22, 2015
Wisconsin
HansShow makes an illuminated auto presenting handle for the 3 & Y but the video I found on youtube about showed it had issues. When I had my X, no one could ever figure those out either. I had to tell them to push hard on the pointy end. I like the S handles the most because you can easily use either hand.
I agree that while the 3/Y handles are not intuitive, the X handles are worse. But at least with the X you can open any door from the MCU. Not so on the 3/Y.

And even when you do figure out the 3/Y, they feel really flimsy. I feel like they just need to be much bigger.

73Bruin

Nov 7, 2020
Torrance, CA
I tell people that if they enter from the passenger side they should use their right hand to open the door and push with their thumb. On the drivers side they should use their left hand. It also makes a certain amount of ergometric sense relative to your body position. Unfortunately, the dummy driver (me) has problems remembering his own instructions.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC