Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Failed Inspection due to door handles? It passed in other locations in the past, not here! Wilson Tires and Auto in NH

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am extremely frustrated with the incompetence some techs here around town. They logged the Tesla Model S as a 'reject' because the door handles didn't pop up! It's dual operation. I explained to them, if it doesn't pop up, you can just push in the door handles and the door will pop out instead. It also states in the owner's manual as well. Extremely upset. Of course it will be fixed by the end of the week at the EV garage. But, in the meantime, I just want people to know, if you have an EV or Tesla Model S, don't get to this location. I considered myself a fool for going there. Other places locally will pass you just fine. Wilson Tires and Auto Services located in Lebanon, NH. Saves you the hassle. The techs are definitely incompetent.

I agree with the suspension issue, but, not the door handles.

Screenshot 2024-01-29 at 4.23.16 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-01-29 at 4.23.30 PM.png

• Funny
Reactions: brainhouston
What are they fixing if the door handles are working properly?
They failed my inspection on two items. The front suspension bushings created free play on the passenger side, and all the door handles not popping out.

I understand that the suspension needs to be fixed. But, the door handles doesn’t need to pop out for it work. These people are extremely incompetent and logged it in. Now, I have to make it pop out. It passed at other shops in the past yearly inspection without popping out.

I wrote a negative review on them through google reviews with the Tesla Operating manual on the door handles and my actual inspection report deterring tesla model s owners to avoid an incompetent shop.

Pardon my ignorance. Are inspections necessary to register your car in New Hamshire? I've only lived in California and Nevada and never had to take any of my cars for inspection. The only time an inspection might be needed is if you bought a vehicle from out of state. The only thing that's needed in CA is a smog check every 2 years. And in NV a smog check is needed every year. For EVs, there is no smog and thus no smog check needed.

I'm curious, what other states do this?

Last edited:
Pardon my ignorance. Are inspections necessary to register your car in New Hamshire? I've only lived in California and Nevada and never had to take any of my cars for inspection. The only time an inspection might be needed is if you bought a vehicle from out of state. The only thing that's needed in CA is a smog check every 2 years. And in NV a smog check is needed every year. For EVs, there is no smog and thus no smog check needed.

I'm curious, what other states do this?
Several states in the New England area does safety inspection yearly. They check suspension, exhausts, smog, check engine lights, codes, etc. if they can lead to safety problems.

Some mechanics are ocd on this. Once they find an issue, they report it. Then, it’s get logged into the DMV database. This is the problem with this particular inspection. The mechanic was not familiar with the Tesla Model S handle and will not even listen to what I have to say. I am forced to replace the handles that works the other way by pushing popping the door open.

I didn’t want to be the hated customer. But, I will be their worst customer in 2024 to experience. These inspections you can’t get a second opinion at all once it’s logged. I will need to get the handle working the other way as well now with it gliding out. Once everything is fixed I will return to them. Plus will provide them with alot more verbal feedback whether they like it or not with customers in the building.

I was suggesting to use your second key and help to extend the handles if you take the car for the next inspection. I know how the handles work. On my car the handles usually extend if I walk around the car and not interrelate with the fob.

Reactions: cmaster
That's certainly not going to help matters. Just bring it somewhere else, explain it beforehand and I'm sure it'll be fine.

You also say you "have to make it work" but then say it's not broken. You have to pick one.

Edit: why are you upset they failed you if it wasn't going to pass due to the suspension anyway?
There's no turning back once they log into the database. I can't get a second opinion because they need a record that it's fixed from some place. This is what I mean, "when I have to make it work" = get it fixed so it can extend out.Technically Tesla designed it so you can push and the door will pop open if the extension don't work. It's still within Tesla spec.

And, I will have to return to the place of inspection so they can remove that record out. Of course I will give them a tough time because they're being incompetent technicians. Can't even fix EVs.

Technically Tesla designed it so you can push and the door will pop open if the extension don't work. It's still within Tesla spec.
I don't think that is true. If you lightly push on the handle it is supposed to extend the handle so you can pull it and open the door, it isn't supposed to pop the door open. So, it does sound like you handle is actually broken and not working to spec.

I don't think that is true. If you lightly push on the handle it is supposed to extend the handle so you can pull it and open the door, it isn't supposed to pop the door open. So, it does sound like you handle is actually broken and not working to spec.
No. This passed in previous years in other places. And, this issue isn't a problem with a great many folks who has this problem. I definitely will not go to place again. That's a promise. I will tell my other friends not to go here either.

I understand from your posts that once a failure has been logged in the DMV system there has to be proof of repair and re-inspection. But let's say it's a headlight that's out. Definitely it won't pass inspection. Anyone can buy a bulb from an autoshop and replace it themselves. You don't necessarily need to have a mechanic do the work. In a case of a burned out bulb, how do you prove that it's been repaired? Will a receipt for a bulb be sufficient proof? In the case of your Tesla's door handle, let's just say you fixed it yourself without taking it to a mechanic. Maybe a little bit of WD40 fixed it. Would a receipt for a can of WD40 do it? It's reasonable to assume that with the recent ice storms it could have just gotten stuck. How do you prove to the next inspection tech that it's been repaired so that it can be cleared out of the DMV system?

If this were to happen to me, that mechanics shop will be my new hobby and part time job for at least a few months. I'd make sure that everyone within an earshot will hear that their mechanic doesn't know how to operate a door handle on a Tesla.

Reactions: mikez10288
BTW I just came across this video on Youtube about a stuck door handle on a Model S. It wasn't a burned out fuse, but taking the fuse out and putting it back in reset the switch and the door handle worked normally again. The guy who made the video is from Europe (British?) and it shows that the fuse box is on the right side. For the US I assume the fuse box will be on the left side.

Reactions: cmaster
This passed in previous years in other places.
That doesn't mean it wasn't defective. It just means that they didn't catch it. (Or didn't care.)

I understand from your posts that once a failure has been logged in the DMV system there has to be proof of repair and re-inspection.
I think they were trying to say that only the shop that logged it, can verify that the issue has been resolved and clear it. So, they are forced to go back to the same shop once it has been repaired. (I have no idea if that is true or not.)

It sounds that you believe the door handles are not broken. I don't know without testing myself, so I will believe that is true. My door handles do not present some times unless coaxed with a push. You need a receipt from the repair shop. When the repair shop says no repair needed then show that to the inspector. You'll get charged by the repair shop, so seek compensation from the state for the labor charges. Sometimes people and processes are a PITA.

Why do all think that WD40 will give any result on electrical systems? I never use that stuff near any wire or switch, there are much better products available. And on LHD car’s the cabin fuse box is on the same side so search it from the passenger footwell.