Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

People in favor of price cuts.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You are saying the momentum will slow down if the prices stayed the same

The tax cuts are effectively raising pricing, so yeah. Price drops equalize things.

If you bought an AWD in a color other than white, the prices really haven't changed all that much this year. They did a 6% price drop, then a 3% price increase, then a 400$ price increase, $2000 price increase (AP included), etc, etc. It moves around.

Right now AWD is less than $700 difference from when I bought in March 2019. And most of that is accounted for by the $500 price drop for gray ($1500 is now $1000)

EAP/AP/FSD is another one where prices keep moving around. But the price actually hasn't changed by even a penny.

EAP was $5000, FSD was $3000 = $8000 total.

AP was $3000, FSD was $5000 = $8000 total.

AP is $2000 (built into the car price), FSD is $6000 = $8000 total.

The only way you got it cheaper was when they were inbetween switching prices, or when they dropped pricing (before people bitched).

Now... if you bought a P3D in white, you just got screwed with resale.

• Informative
Reactions: VQTRVA
I stand corrected.
But I bet they lowered the price yearly and only about 5% each.
And thanks to no internet the people were not as upset as people on this forum today.

Totally different world. People don't get upset about computers getting cheaper. Cars were investment back then. They didnt think about trading them in in 3 years.

FWIW, in 1929, it was $500. In 1931, $395. Wee bit more than 5% per year.

Like I said above, I have a white performance. Took the biggest "hit." But more of these on the road means more charging options. Besides, I don't plan on selling any time soon. Why should someone else getting it for less bother me? It has ZERO bearing on me.

Totally different world. People don't get upset about computers getting cheaper. Cars were investment back then. They didnt think about trading them in in 3 years.

FWIW, in 1929, it was $500. In 1931, $395. Wee bit more than 5% per year.

Like I said above, I have a white performance. Took the biggest "hit." But more of these on the road means more charging options. Besides, I don't plan on selling any time soon. Why should someone else getting it for less bother me? It has ZERO bearing on me.
I can think of one reason it could affect a potential long-term owner.
Let's say he bought one for $70000 and financed $60000.
He gets into a car accident one day.
He owes $55000 on the loan and insurance company only pays him $35000.

According to conceptcarz.com
1929 model A Tudor sedan was $522.
1931 model A Tudor sedan was $495.
That's 5% over 2 years.

Last edited:
I can think of one reason it could affect a potential long-term owner.
Let's say he bought one for $70000 and financed $60000.
He gets into a car accident one day.
He owes $55000 on the loan and insurance company only pays him $35000.

Good reason for GAP insurance huh?

I
According to conceptcarz.com
1929 model A Tudor sedan was $522.
1931 model A Tudor sedan was $495.
That's 5% over 2 years.

Weird you keep using the A, which was long after Ford had already spun up mass production.

The T is the appropriate car to use as it was the first high volume "cheap" mass production car

Again- in 1910 it was $900

In 1911 volume had scaled, and Ford cut the price to $680.

In 1912 they cut it further to $590.

1913? $525

1914? $440

1915? $390

1916? $345

If you're having any trouble with the math, I assure you that's a LOT more than 5% per year. It's a lot more than Tesla has been cutting prices % wise in fact.

nope.
Decrease in the tax credit was $1875.... Not a penny more or penny less.
The price cut was not $1875....
If it was, no people would complain.

Tesla dropped the base model by 1k and the top end model by 5k. Obviously margins are lower on the base models given that they have the same chassis, interior, etc.

So yeah, it would be pretty dumb to mirror the price cuts to the penny across all trims. Not sure what you're trying to argue about, maybe take an economics class and report back.

• Funny
Reactions: tomas
Tesla dropped the base model by 1k and the top end model by 5k. Obviously margins are lower on the base models given that they have the same chassis, interior, etc.

So yeah, it would be pretty dumb to mirror the price cuts to the penny across all trims. Not sure what you're trying to argue about, maybe take an economics class and report back.

I am pointing out the price drop did not equalize the drop in tax credit.
you said tesla lowered the prices to equalize the tax credit drop. Tax credit amount decreased by equal amount no matter which trim you buy.
do people care if it averages out to $1875? do people buy multiple teslas at once?
I see Tesla dropped the prices to increase the demand for their cars.
but dropping far more than the tax credit decrease made early adopters upset because it WAS NOT just to equalize the tax credit drop.
That's the point I had to disagree with you about.

All of the price drop whining is getting old. Tesla made a calculated decision to drop prices in order to sell more cars. Some angry customers were a consequence they were willing to live with, because they’re doing what’s best for the company long-term. They have no obligation to keep pricing high for existing owners at the detriment of lower future sales.

Sheesh people. Tesla is a publicly traded enterprise with a top priority to deliver value to its shareholders. Lower priced Tesla’s means more Tesla’s, and that’s a good thing.

Reactions: VQTRVA
@Black Dahlia

I hope you realize that it’s irrelevant if you I or anyone approves/disapproves of the price cuts.

We do not dictate the prices, the market does.

You are just going to have to assume Tesla is being a rational agent and setting a price that the market will bear for the quantity it can or wants to produce.

I have taken delivery of my cars - there is zero benefit to me being concerned with tomorrow’s price.

It’s pissing in the wind and distraction from things I can actually do something about. If I had a directive for Tesla it’s simply:

“Do what you need to do to survive and thrive”.

Reactions: pdx_m3s
@Black Dahlia

I hope you realize that it’s irrelevant if you I or anyone approves/disapproves of the price cuts.

We do not dictate the prices, the market does.

You are just going to have to assume Tesla is being a rational agent and setting a price that the market will bear for the quantity it can or wants to produce.

I have taken delivery of my cars - there is zero benefit to me being concerned with tomorrow’s price.

It’s pissing in the wind and distraction from things I can actually do something about. If I had a directive for Tesla it’s simply:

“Do what you need to do to survive and thrive”.

Well said.

Reactions: MXWing