Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slow and stuttery after update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi nice people!

Two weeks ago I had the brilliant idea to update the software in my 2020 3P. Until then it was on a 2022.xx version and it was kind of smooth sailing.
The car updated to 2023.20.8 first. I immediately noticed some things were amiss, such as the tiny car showing on the tire pressure tab. It was pointing in the wrong direction and was cut at both ends. It would also overlap the pressure numbers, making them not readable.
That is why, when the following day the car prompted me to install 2023.20.9, I went ahead. The tiny car on the pressure tab faces now forwards and the pressures can be read. Yey!

Unfortunately I have been noticing quite a few issues since the updates. I'll try to make a short list of them now.

1. The calculation of the arrival SoC when supercharging is completely wrong. While plugged, the car overestimates consumption brutally.
An example: while supercharging the display shows I will get to my destination with e.g. 10%. Even if I recalculate during charging, it will stick to that value. As soon as I unplug the charger, it will jump up to e.g. 40%. I will actually get there with 30%.
Therefore I end up charging way more than actually needed and not being able to trust that indication at all. It is happening all the time now, it's not a one time thing.

2. The screen got pretty laggy. The rearview camera is dropping frames and catching up a few moments later, making it useless in very tight manouvers. It looks like you've still got 2 inches... but that was half a second ago, now you've got yourself some damage. Also the visualizations of other cars, people and objects stutters and drops frames. I am sure it was smooth before the updates, since I quite enjoyed watching it.

3. The audio controls through the steering wheel are often unresponsive. If I want to mute the radio, or pause the music, I have to click the scrolling wheel 5 to 10 times before anything happens.

4. Similar story with the scrolling wheel for AP speed and distance. The distance setting needs multiple presses before the car reacts, and the speed setting identifies my quick scroll (to jump 5 kph at a time) as a normal one (and up the speed only by 1 kph). It NEVER happened before the update.

I tried resetting the screen with the two scroll wheels, as well as turning the car off and back on after 5 minutes.

Is anyone here aware of this kind of issues on the 2023 software updates, maybe specific to older Atom cars? Is there any way I car revert the software to an older version, or some other approach I could attempt?
Some of these issues are maddening in the day to day use!

Thank you for your attention!

I own a 2018 Model 3 Long Range on FSD Beta that is currently on 2023.7.20. I don't know if this is related to your observations, but if I set the energy graph to "consumption" and "30 miles", the watt hours per mile displayed is way too high, often in the 350-400 range. Fortunately ,there has been no actual increase in energy consumption, I'm still around 240 watt hours per mile lifetime. Even in winter using using the heater I'm not above 300 on individual drives . The service center looked into it remotely and found no issues, and had no explanation. I'd be interested to know if you or anyone else has had a similar problem !

This is more general advice when it comes to software updates, not specific to your situation, but perhaps there is something you can take away from it.

Software updates (in general) add new features, fix bugs, and occasionally introduce bugs. That's kind of the nature of these things. While I am sure there are good QA procedures in place, it's not uncommon for things to slip through the cracks. And sometimes a release is rushed and a given release may be buggier than others. Unfortunately as we come to rely on ever more sophisticated devices that have more complex software, this is becoming our reality.

If there is a particular bug introduced that is particularly annoying, widespread, or even a safety issue, Tesla is usually pretty quick to get a patch out there, so chances are if this is the case, you will get an update that fixes those things shortly.

This is probably one of the reasons Tesla rolls out software the way they do: randomly to small groups of owners. That way they can see if any bugs appear before rolling it out to the whole fleet at once. Sometimes you get lucky (or unlucky, depending on your perspective) of being one of the earlier ones to receive a particular release (and thus exposed to more bugs), and sometimes you are at the tail end and by the time you see a release it is more stable.

As annoying as it may be for you, I would resist the urge to look backwards. Not only is that probably impossible anyway, you are probably just better off waiting for the next patch that will hopefully fix some of your issues. Unfortunately patience may be required.

That said, if you feel that there is a particularly egregious or safety-related issue, I would certainly not hesitate to put in a service request. At a minimum this will alert Tesla to the issue, but perhaps the service team can help address the issue or at least put you on the fast track for a software patch.

Thanks to all of you who chimed in!

It is now clear that there is no way back now.

I have not contacted Tesla about the issue. On the one hand because my warranty's up either way, but mostly because I found the quality of service horrific and hated every interaction I ever had with these people. I am not going to contact them, unless I was reasonably sure they could actually help. In this case, I think they can't.

I have just received the notification that I could update to 2023.26.7. Anyone has experience with this version on older Atom cars?

I have not contacted Tesla about the issue. On the one hand because my warranty's up either way, but mostly because I found the quality of service horrific and hated every interaction I ever had with these people. I am not going to contact them, unless I was reasonably sure they could actually help. In this case, I think they can't.

I have just received the notification that I could update to 2023.26.7. Anyone has experience with this version on older Atom cars?
I am on this update since a few days ago. The only issue I've run into is that when I read a received text, I can't reply to it by pressing the microphone on the lower left consistently. It's sad if the screen is not responding to touch in the area very well. If it does allow me to voice a text, I have to press the button repeatedly to get it to send. Not sure if it's related at this point yet but something I noticed since the update.

Probably updating the firmware to the latest is easier after some others are guinea pigs, but another option is to go into service mode and select the option do "Software Reinstall". This is presuming you did try reboots, as well as a full power off sleep cycle (5 minutes is not nearly enough, needs to be well over half an hour or even hours), or even a hard reboot if necessary. If the bug however is in the specific version you installed, a reinstall wouldn't fix it (only a update to newer version).