Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Perfect MY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just picked up my MSM/White/Perf/FSD/Towhitch MY this evening in Littleton, CO. I was originally scheduled to pick up tomorrow (Tuesday) but I called them this morning and asked if they had any openings and they fit me in at 5:30PM. My model ended up being VIN 234xx. The service center people definitely commented on how the models with >17xxx are having far fewer issues than the earlier models. I didnt check my vehicle for its "born on date" yet.

I have been following this forum for a few months and have been contributing and preparing for the worst and hoping for the best. With every good delivery and fitment post, I breathed a sigh of relief and for every bad experience i began to dread.

Today....was exceptional. The car was near perfect. Had i never read or watched all the "quality issues" I would never have noted a single thing. The paint was pretty flawless, the interior had a half centimeter smudge on the header but was otherwise perfect. The tail lights were off by maybe a millimeter. The rear seats were aligned and the trunk and frunk opened and closed easily. Panel gaps were not an issue. The glass was clean and scratch/crack free. Absolutely nothing that I would even make a service appointment for. The experience was surreal for sure. 150 Teslas on the lot and 20 or 30 people there picking up at 5:30PM. The telsa reps were kind, thorough and helpful taking time with those that needed help ("How do I unlock the charge port") and available for those of us who have spent hours every day for months reading every detail about a Tesla. It was the best car buying experience to date. I actually felt silly looking for all the "issues" i thought I would find.

On the drive home, the autopilot camera configured in about 20 minutes and drove us the entire way home without a hitch. The acceleration is ridiculous and there were no squeaks, rattles or other annoying sounds. It drives like a dream. I will need a bit of time to get the interface dialed in with all the radio options (will I ever miss XM radio? I doubt it). Wind noise at 60 mph was pretty much what i expected and will not be an issue for me especially rocking to the sound system.

The only thing that I had trouble with was getting my mobile charger to work. Apparently you need to really push it in hard to get it start charging. It kept on giving me a low charge and a yellow light. Once I pushed it in harder, all was good. User error only.

To say I was soooo happy is an understatement. I can only hope the rest of you that are waiting have the same experience. Im sure I will have some additional questions as I get to know my MY better and I appreciate your help along the way.

Congrats! Yeah, the later VINs being made recently are a lot better -- according to my delivery guy. So your rear seats are in alignment? That's the only issue we have with our Model Y and it's so slight no one would see it unless they looked for it. I just happened to look. I noted it in the service request I put in for installation of my HomeLink. Not that I expect them to be able to fix it at this time, but so it's at least documented.

Wind noise in the Y is much reduced over our 2016 X. It's an all around quieter ride. Sound system is much better than I anticipated and our kids say it's better in the 2nd row than in the X.

Reactions: aburrows
There were a few blue exteriors in Littleton but none that had white interior. There were ALOT of white exterior black interior (the free combination). I counted at least 15 white with black on the lot and there was a transport truck delivering a few more.

Just picked up my MSM/White/Perf/FSD/Towhitch MY this evening in Littleton, CO. I was originally scheduled to pick up tomorrow (Tuesday) but I called them this morning and asked if they had any openings and they fit me in at 5:30PM. My model ended up being VIN 234xx. The service center people definitely commented on how the models with >17xxx are having far fewer issues than the earlier models. I didnt check my vehicle for its "born on date" yet.

I have been following this forum for a few months and have been contributing and preparing for the worst and hoping for the best. With every good delivery and fitment post, I breathed a sigh of relief and for every bad experience i began to dread.

Today....was exceptional. The car was near perfect. Had i never read or watched all the "quality issues" I would never have noted a single thing. The paint was pretty flawless, the interior had a half centimeter smudge on the header but was otherwise perfect. The tail lights were off by maybe a millimeter. The rear seats were aligned and the trunk and frunk opened and closed easily. Panel gaps were not an issue. The glass was clean and scratch/crack free. Absolutely nothing that I would even make a service appointment for. The experience was surreal for sure. 150 Teslas on the lot and 20 or 30 people there picking up at 5:30PM. The telsa reps were kind, thorough and helpful taking time with those that needed help ("How do I unlock the charge port") and available for those of us who have spent hours every day for months reading every detail about a Tesla. It was the best car buying experience to date. I actually felt silly looking for all the "issues" i thought I would find.

On the drive home, the autopilot camera configured in about 20 minutes and drove us the entire way home without a hitch. The acceleration is ridiculous and there were no squeaks, rattles or other annoying sounds. It drives like a dream. I will need a bit of time to get the interface dialed in with all the radio options (will I ever miss XM radio? I doubt it). Wind noise at 60 mph was pretty much what i expected and will not be an issue for me especially rocking to the sound system.

The only thing that I had trouble with was getting my mobile charger to work. Apparently you need to really push it in hard to get it start charging. It kept on giving me a low charge and a yellow light. Once I pushed it in harder, all was good. User error only.

To say I was soooo happy is an understatement. I can only hope the rest of you that are waiting have the same experience. Im sure I will have some additional questions as I get to know my MY better and I appreciate your help along the way.
Regarding sirius, I recently turned in my lease (which had the sirius antenna ) so I switched to the streaming only plan, it's not bad !

@aburrows Congrats. Were you able to check if your MY has towhitch installed through the vehicle console. My SC said that it should be installed and to pop open the panel to see it. I ordered towhitch for my MY, but on the tesla accounts page for VIN, I dont see tow hitch. Image for reference.
upload_2020-6-30_9-3-33.png

Congrats on near perfect. Just before I left to drive 90 minuets today to pickup my MY Tesla called to say it arrived last night with a cracked windshield. They've ordered a new windshield and said it would take about a week. I'm thankful they called before I left. I asked them to do a more thorough inspection of the car looking at paint, door margins, etc. We both agreed it would be easier for everyone if they inspected it again and fixed everything since they'll have it for a week. In a week I hope to say I had an experience as good as the OP.

@aburrows Congrats. Were you able to check if your MY has towhitch installed through the vehicle console. My SC said that it should be installed and to pop open the panel to see it. I ordered towhitch for my MY, but on the tesla accounts page for VIN, I dont see tow hitch. Image for reference. View attachment 558627
I was able to confirm the car has the tow hitch installed already. I will say, the dust cover is a major pain in the ass. You need a screw driver to pry it off and then, its nearly impossible to reinstall. Im sure the clips are going to break at some point. It is definitely not a piece that you will be popping on and off multiple times. Hopefully someone (or Tesla) will come up with a better cover that snaps on/off or uses strong magnets or something.

Congrats aburrows! That is good news that the quality issue has improved. If quality stays at the level you described Tesla will start selling tons of this car. Even with the few issues I had, this is the coolest car I have owned and once the word gets out Tesla won't be able to make them fast enough. I just hope that your car is an indication they have solved the issue and not a fluke.

Congrats aburrows! That is good news that the quality issue has improved. If quality stays at the level you described Tesla will start selling tons of this car. Even with the few issues I had, this is the coolest car I have owned and once the word gets out Tesla won't be able to make them fast enough. I just hope that your car is an indication they have solved the issue and not a fluke.
When I got home I took a really close look at everything and was barely able to find more than 1 or 2 tiny things to moan about. Things I wouldnt have even looked for in any previous car purchase. Overall, the car is great. I do have a service appointment for one small trim piece (again, something I never would have even mentioned on other car purchases but after hanging out on these forums, I feel "obligated" to get it fixed LOL).

Hooray! Picked mine up a week ago (VIN 15xxx). Spent so long going over the checklist that I forgot to drop off the paperwork and had to turn around 4 miles out of the pickup location and go back!

The only issue with mine is the right rear quarter panel is maybe 3 mm out of alignment with the door. If I hadn't have been looking so carefully, I would never have noticed. I suppose it will increase my Wh/mile at highway speeds by 0.1% or so, causing me to have to wait an extra 5 seconds when supercharging. It's an OUTRAGE, I tells ya! Why, I oughta... um... not care at all. Anyway, that's my plan.

The only other disappointment is that I didn't realize it came with the tire repair kit, so I had already bought one. Anyone need an extra tire repair kit?

I picked up my MY (white/white/LR/AWD/20") last night at the Fremont Delivery Center around 10:30pm.

I gave the car the once-over there for any showstoppers, like egregious gaps or obvious damage. This morning, I've gone through a couple of the checklists and only found two extremely minor things.

1. Driver's door rubber trim was not installed correctly. I saw this at delivery. I literally pushed it in myself and it's fine. Matches the other side.
2. Hatch won't latch itself when closing. You have to give it a little push. I don't think this is the way it's supposed to work. However, if another door is open, the hatch closes perfectly. I tried adjusting the bumpers to no effect. This is something mobile service can do when installing homelink. Or, I'll google it to see if I can take care of it.

Otherwise, the car is spotless. Panel gaps are fine. Charging port is flush. Rear seats look good, within 2 or 3mm of height. I'm sure that's within any reasonable spec.

I'm done inspecting. My neighbors must think I'm nuts.

Hooray! Picked mine up a week ago (VIN 15xxx). Spent so long going over the checklist that I forgot to drop off the paperwork and had to turn around 4 miles out of the pickup location and go back!

The only issue with mine is the right rear quarter panel is maybe 3 mm out of alignment with the door. If I hadn't have been looking so carefully, I would never have noticed. I suppose it will increase my Wh/mile at highway speeds by 0.1% or so, causing me to have to wait an extra 5 seconds when supercharging. It's an OUTRAGE, I tells ya! Why, I oughta... um... not care at all. Anyway, that's my plan.

The only other disappointment is that I didn't realize it came with the tire repair kit, so I had already bought one. Anyone need an extra tire repair kit?
It does? Mine didnt. Or at least I have found it yet.