Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Model 3 without 20” Rims

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m aware of the limited time special “stealth” model available. There are none left in the Midwest.

If anyone at Tesla is reading this - respectfully, it is crazy the Performance Model 3 only comes with 20” rims. This may not be a big deal in California which doesn’t have potholes. But in the Midwest where it snows, you CANNOT safely have 20” rims.

Please be like Europe and offer a “base” Model 3 Performance with an “option” for the performance upgrade package.

Thank you

Reactions: dww12
I’m aware of the limited time special “stealth” model available. There are none left in the Midwest.

If anyone at Tesla is reading this - respectfully, it is crazy the Performance Model 3 only comes with 20” rims. This may not be a big deal in California which doesn’t have potholes. But in the Midwest where it snows, you CANNOT safely have 20” rims.

Please be like Europe and offer a “base” Model 3 Performance with an “option” for the performance upgrade package.

Thank you

Um... california has plenty of potholes (plenty).

With that being said... people who actually want to track this car likely want smaller wheels anyway. I happen to like the 20s and (knock on wood), my encounters with potholes have not damaged my rims as of yet.

Tesla currently cant even handle making homelink a checkbox install option (which is crazy). I am sure at some point they will offer a bit more choice, but they dont offer much in the way of choice so far.

Its my opinion that at some point they will offer the performance without the 20s but the person ordering that way wont save as much money as a set of those tires... if that makes sense.

Like, offer the performance with 18s but for no savings, or a savings of 250 or something... I could see them doing that to hold margin.

Thank you

Of course you can have 20" wheels. You just have a second set for the winter, which you should have. I did the same when I lived in Minnesota. All-seasons can't touch dedicated winter tires for a miserable Minnesota winter.

Reactions: DrtyJrze
I got a 2020 Stealth with 18 inch wheels yesterday. I didn't even know it existed but called for a test drive appointment of a LR and the sales guy mentioned it. I bought it within minutes. I am 90% sure it would have been sold in the next two hours because I headed right to the dealer and when I got there, only one of the four cars they had in inventory was still for sale two hours later.

I got a 2020 Stealth with 18 inch wheels yesterday. I didn't even know it existed but called for a test drive appointment of a LR and the sales guy mentioned it. I bought it within minutes. I am 90% sure it would have been sold in the next two hours because I headed right to the dealer and when I got there, only one of the four cars they had in inventory was still for sale two hours later.

Stealth is not the same as performance. Different calibers, stock 18’s don’t fit.

Yes, one cannot put stock 18 inch wheels on a normal Performance. I mentioned it because someone looking for a Performance drivetrain with 18 inch wheels could search for one of these Stealth Performance models.

There are aftermarket 18 inch wheels that fit the larger brakes:

Yes, one cannot put stock 18 inch wheels on a normal Performance. I mentioned it because someone looking for a Performance drivetrain with 18 inch wheels could search for one of these Stealth Performance models.

There are aftermarket 18 inch wheels that fit the larger brakes:

The OP specifically states he knows about the stealth but can’t locate one in his area. OP also specifically states his plea is to Tesla to provide an OEM performance 18” option and was not asking for an aftermarket solution, which obviously exists.

That is what I thought, but then you told me that "Stealth is not the same as performance. Different calibers, stock 18’s don’t fit.." So I took that to mean that me suggesting that a factory Stealth model was not what he wanted.