Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Upgrade Package and Ludicrous Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's the associated tweet:

Elon Musk on Twitter

Which doesn't support the claim they are different at all. Just the opposite.

Lot sorting makes no sense if you're not starting with the same physical parts

It's a software unlock between AWD and P.

Another way you know they're the same motors (apart from lot sort) is the AWD and P use the same VIN letter to designate what motors they come with.

If the motors weren't the same that letter wouldn't be the same.

Reactions: grommet
Looking at ordering a P3D soon and am wavering on the exterior $5k option for the "Performance Upgrade" package. One reason I'm considering it is to ensure the highest likelihood that my car would be capable or being upgraded to the potential ludicrous mode later on.

Performance Upgrade adds:
  • 20” Performance Wheels
  • Performance Brakes
  • Carbon fiber spoiler
  • Lowered suspension
  • Aluminum alloy pedals
  • Increased top speed from 145mph to 155mph
Seems mostly cosmetic asside from "Performance Brakes" and Lowered suspension which seems to unlock the 155mph speed.

Otherwise I'm considering skipping the package and getting my own wheels.
It’s just me but I feel that package for $5k is not a bad price at all. How much is the tire/rim upgrade worth alone? Like $3k?

Reactions: Garlan Garner
For most people getting all that stuff is unnecessary, even if you want to drive quickly. Getting stickier tires will get you 90% of the way there. Brake upgrade is irrelevant except for the track - bigger brakes don't make your car stop faster (so long as the stock brakes are powerful enough to lock the wheels, which they typically are these days in cars), they make them more resistant to fade after repeated usage. And upgrading the brake pads alone is much cheaper and probably sufficient for very spirited street driving. The spoiler is mostly cosmetic as are the pedals; the 10mm suspension diff is minimal. If you're going to do serious tracking, you're going to upgrade all of these things anyhow - even stickier tires, a more race-oriented suspension, even better brakes (e.g., Mountain Pass Performance), and probably a real spoiler depending on how much downforce this car creates without one. Maybe some cooling upgrades as well since the car seems to slow down a tad after a few laps.

Secondly, Elon himself suggested different wheels/tires for max performance. Seeing how many people chose to forego the performance package so that they can make their own modifications to the car, I would be quite surprised if any software performance upgrade isn't available on the regular P3D. My guess is no ludicrous mode, but track mode could drop 0-60 by a bit by optimizing grip/torque at launch.

Purchased separately, the 18s + tires are $2000, and the 20s + tires are $4000. So it is a $2000 upgrade.
Thanks.

I don’t know how much the time of someone who purchase a car for $75k is worth but I know I’d be pretty annoyed to sell my wheels and tires on craigslist or eBay.

Also the stock tires would be completely out of question on a performance car.. seems like a huge waste in my opinion to get a car with such an amazing performance on those cheap tires... so I think that package is well worth it..

Thinking of it I’d be curious to see performance of P3D with base tires vs AWD with good tires.

Reactions: chickensworth