Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Upgrade Package and Ludicrous Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Suspension drop is very minimal... it still looks too high... and for me, i think they ride too soft. Still love my car, but now that i'm 2 weeks in, i'm noticing the things the things that should have been improved for the P.

I agree - it's still too high for my personal taste. As for softness, I'm less than 1 week in and less than 200 miles on the odo. So, I'm still adjusting to it.

To be practical, we do know that SAS will eventually be offered. It is logical to assume that if a Ludicrous version will be offered there might be some hardware involved, as it was with P85D to P85D. Part of that hardware was the straight underlining, of course.:D but the inconel fuse was a large part of it and that requiring removing the battery pack. Maybe they've learned a few things that might avoid that, but we simply do not know.

Let's not forget that the 18" Aero wheels comes with Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires, which are all season tires that are geared towards efficiency. The 20" PUP wheels comes with stickier Michelin Pilot Sport 4S summer tires, which are arguably the best high-performance road tires available today.

According to Tesla, it's a minimal 10mm reduction in ride height.
This is kind of standard with some other sports cars I believe. Porsche PASM does this slight drop, but they also include adjustable ride height. My guess is it's a slight drop paired with the 20" which give it the look while retaining the function for bumps. There could also be more of an issue with dampening in corners which played a factor into it only being 10mm.

Cool I was concerned the lowering may make it difficult to get onto my driveway due to a good size bump but sounds minimal. However if there doesn't appear to be any tie to the performance upgrade package and later upgrades I might forgo the package and just get my own aftermarket wheels.

At 150mph aerodynamics matter, 10mm could conceivably improve top speed though 10mph sounds like a lot.

Speed limiters are usually software based on supplied tire rating.

I might be the weirdo here but the car I drove fastest in was an old 4door Chevy that I got up to 130mph on a rural stretch of road late at night with just 200hp stock and few mods so maybe 220hp. Fast forward a few years and bigger engine a lot of mods and same car was 500hp and covered the quarter quicker than a P3+ at 116mph and I never hit 130mph in it again but it was likely capable of 160-170 I just wasn't dumb enough to try again.

I don't think the 155mph is "unlocked," so to speak, I assume the improvement is mostly secondary to the physics of the wheel size/tire rating. I'm a novice so take my opinion with the appropriately sized grain of salt. I'd imagine though and "L" option would be an OTA update. This my hope anyway as I have the stealth PM3
I see a lot of people deluding themselves, mis-reading the online configurator at Tesla and misinterpreting it so that they can falsely believe they will get something for nothing.

Performance model is "up to 155 mph speed"
Performance base model is "145 mph speed" (everyone knows it's a software-lock)
Performance upgrade is "155 mph speed" (why do you think it costs $5k?)

There is no free lunch.

The upgrade package (which I purchased) costs $5k to pay for worn out drivetrains & warranty coverage as a result of this unlocking. On top of the 155 mph unlocking, you get bigger wheels, different tires, and bigger front rotors, and red rotors. I'm betting the wheel and tire upgrades cost Tesla $500, the brake upgrades cost at most $500, and the spoiler and pedal covers cost tesla $200. You might get special aerospace alloy (Inconel) and/or heavier cabling for the battery connection - maybe even extra battery cooling capacity - which I'm guessing is another $500. Therefore, $3300 is for extra warranty (and profit) in this package. Don't get bent out of shape, no other car is this fast when you stomp on the accelerator at this pricepoint.

Also, I hate to break it to you but the presence of a bar underneath the "Dual Motor" on a Tesla MEANS ludicrous. I do not think there will be an extra boost to the Performance model. If there is a boost, it will be small, and it will cost extra. It might be a few more batteries and another software unlock, who knows. But it will probably be called "Ludicrous+" or "P3D Uncorked" or something like that. The P3D car already has badging for ludicrous mode.

Tesla Model 3 is finally getting a badge: Dual Motor and underlined for Performance version

Last edited:
I'm betting the wheel and tire upgrades cost Tesla $500, the brake upgrades cost at most $500, and the spoiler and pedal covers cost tesla $200. You might get special aerospace alloy (Inconel) and/or heavier cabling for the battery connection - maybe even extra battery cooling capacity - which I'm guessing is another $500

I broke down the extra $5000 retail (not actual) cost of the performance options as follows:
Aftermarket 20" Rims + Tires = $3500-$1500 for stock -> $2000
Aftermarket Brakes + Rotors = $1500
Aluminum Pedals = $150
Carbon Fiber Spoiler = $500 (Guessing $500 based on market demand)=
= $4150 of value.

Not unreasonable value, if you find value in all of the above. For me, I'm not a track person so half the value disappears.

That was just bad information from a tire store. They have the same 300 treadware as the normal version. That store also said they were staggered...

You appear to be confusing two different stores.

tsportline had the staggered misinformation.

Tirerack sells the 500 treadwear tesla-spec tires.

And Musk himself tweeted in reply to a review about how poorly the tesla-version PS4s did in testing that they traded some traction for range with them.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?tireIndex=2&autoMake=Tesla&autoYear=2018&autoModel=Model+3&autoModClar=Dual+Motor+All-Wheel+Drive&width=235/&ratio=35&diameter=20&sortCode=59853&skipOver=true&minSpeedRating=V&minLoadRating=XL

That link shows all 4 varieties of the 20" PS 4S in 235/35-20 they sell.

It includes the "normal" version of the tire, $301.07 each... the Porsche-spec version for $328.59, the Ferrari-spec version at $284.19, and lastly... the Tesla-spec, 500, not 300, treadwear version, for $339.97 with Tesla Acoustic Tech added.

So no, it's not misinformation at all. It's a different, inferior (for traction) version of the tire, specifically made for Tesla by Michelin.

Last edited: