Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Whats everyone driving while you wait?

My Mercedes c300 sport was a lease so i turned that in and now borrowing my neighbors newish Jeep Cherokee indefinitely. This thing this awful. Mercedes was awful too but this thing just so big, slow, eats gas, and just hideous.

‘07 Chevy Silverado already sold my ‘16 Subaru STI for the P3D now I’m stuck with my old daily driver. 10 mpg ftw

FWIW, I spoke with someone at the local delivery center earlier today and confirmed three things: (1) changing the delivery location today will not affect the delivery date of the car; (2) changing the interior color today may not affect the delivery date; and (3) the current ETA is the end of November or maybe the first week of December.

Current build
Order date: 10/18/19
Delivery location: Fremont, CA
Trim: Performance
Ext/Int. colors: White/Black
FSD: No

Ordered 10/7 midnight no FSD after test drove it on track mode in Costa Mesa. My wife drove it next and promptly sold her Lexus is, but i'm still enjoying my 427 camaro while I wait and it's a little faster 118mph in the quarter. Slower ET though 12.1. After the test drive I needed some tylenol for my concussion whiplash headache!

I am also driving a X5 35D!! It’s loads better than my other ride which is a soul eroding Prius. I will be trading that in for the P3d
X5D is a great ride no doubt. Just in sportiness and handling, it can not hold a candle to P3D lol. I am keeping it though for longer trips with dogs and when i need to haul stuff. Can easily get over 600 miles on one tank, and utility is superb. My daily though will be the model 3... whenever it gets built and delivered that is.

I've actually been debating about taking off FSD from my order. I'm having very difficult thoughts in justifying 6k for a system that isn't fully ready.. i mean, 6k puts a Central AC in my house.. lol?

Value proposition would change somewhat if the FSD was tied to an account / person vs the car.
I am following some wise person's advice that i read somewhere on this forum. If you buy FSD now, you are buying an unfinished product. You subsidize further development of it by fronting the money, which is great for Tesla. However, if you believe in the company so much to pay 6 (now 7)k for something that is not yet fully function, why not buy 6(or7)k worth of Tesla stock and see how much it will be worth by the time FSD is actually useful. I am betting that stock will appreciate faster than the price increases on FSD as features mature.

Value proposition would change somewhat if the FSD was tied to an account / person vs the car.
I am following some wise person's advice that i read somewhere on this forum. If you buy FSD now, you are buying an unfinished product. You subsidize further development of it by fronting the money, which is great for Tesla. However, if you believe in the company so much to pay 6 (now 7)k for something that is not yet fully function, why not buy 6(or7)k worth of Tesla stock and see how much it will be worth by the time FSD is actually useful. I am betting that stock will appreciate faster than the price increases on FSD as features mature.

interesting, but the whole time you were owning the stock you didnt get partial self-driving! Also, how much more productive are you going to be on highways with FSD? Can definitely shoot off a couple emails on the interstates.

I havent confirmed this but someone told me that Musk this purposely never patents anything Tesla does in order to ‘improve the world’. Couldnt some orher car company come along amd just steal Teslas self driving tech with almost no R&D cost and thus sell it cheaper?

interesting, but the whole time you were owning the stock you didnt get partial self-driving! Also, how much more productive are you going to be on highways with FSD? Can definitely shoot off a couple emails on the interstates.

I havent confirmed this but someone told me that Musk this purposely never patents anything Tesla does in order to ‘improve the world’. Couldnt some orher car company come along amd just steal Teslas self driving tech with almost no R&D cost and thus sell it cheaper?

Elon patents all of his products, he also gives those patents out as open source freeware.

I think performance will be last. looking at the tracking sheet, looks like we are in the minority, so it makes more sense for tesla to get the higher quantity configurations out the door first, assuming that there's similar margin for them to be had across all. Thankful I'm on the east coast though, I think that will help me sneak into a relatively early batch of the performance models once they start getting manufactured...