Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree. Tesla should provide some sort of compensation for those who have waited longer than the estimated delivery date provided at reservation time. I am without a car, with no end in sight. The gentleman at the Tesla sales store I spoke with yesterday couldn't provide any facts on when my car may be available and suggested finding a cheap rental car since it might be a while. That doesn't seem right. These are hard out of pockets costs that I had not assumed beyond the estimated delivery date I was given. I hope Tesla makes it right.
I'm in San Diego as well. Ordered white/white P3D on 8/13. Never received the delay text, but the fact that people who had ordered weeks before I did were getting those texts, I opted to get an inventory Black/White P3D instead, found it in Seattle. The wife wanted a dark exterior anyway so it's not a total loss, although I was a bit bummed that I didn't get my white/white, but I'll take getting the car 4-5 weeks ahead of the secondary estimate. Car is available for delivery on Friday, I'm excited!

I'm in San Diego as well. Ordered white/white P3D on 8/13. Never received the delay text, but the fact that people who had ordered weeks before I did were getting those texts, I opted to get an inventory Black/White P3D instead, found it in Seattle. The wife wanted a dark exterior anyway so it's not a total loss, although I was a bit bummed that I didn't get my white/white, but I'll take getting the car 4-5 weeks ahead of the secondary estimate. Car is available for delivery on Friday, I'm excited!

Dude, if you want white, just wait, this is a big purchase. In a year the extra 4 weeks won’t even be remembered.

so youre the one who got that car. I saw it popped up on EV-CPO.com and I was tempted to get it but it would have cost an arm and a leg to get it down here to Miami

Just called and they said it would be end of quarter....ugh
W
Dude, if you want white, just wait, this is a big purchase. In a year the extra 4 weeks won’t even be remembered.
I’m waiting on white/white performance also and I definitely would regret it if I took a black instead. I’m going to have the car for at least two or three years so a few extra weeks, while it sucks, is worth it. Ordered mine 8/19 so I probably won’t get it until oct.

That SUCKS!! In AZ, if you paid the registration on your current car then traded it in or sold it, the pro-rated registration amount for the balance of the year would be refunded by the state.

It would be complete insanity to pay the registration on a car, then sell it and lose all that money. Crazy!!

In NV they wont give you a refund. They will give you a credit, but the only way that works is if I sell my current car before I register the Tesla. I've got a 30 grace period to register the Tesla, so I might be able to do it as long as CarMax doesn’t completely low ball me and convince me to sell private.

7/31 order, no VIN, no communication. I don’t even have a white car (mine is MSM). Pretty frustrating, I wish they’d just communicate. Tesla really sucks at customer service and honestly, I am second guessing spending so much on a car with such a poor support system behind it.

If they’d just say “we’re building European orders right now and will transition back to US orders on 9/1” that would be totally fine. Instead they lie on lead time and conceal what’s going on to get as many orders as possible, and string you along hoping you won’t cancel. Not very confidence inspiring.

I wish they'd be more realistic with their time frames. Or just over estimate. No one is going to complain if you say 6 weeks and deliver in 4, but they will if you say 2 weeks and deliver in 4.

W

I’m waiting on white/white performance also and I definitely would regret it if I took a black instead. I’m going to have the car for at least two or three years so a few extra weeks, while it sucks, is worth it. Ordered mine 8/19 so I probably won’t get it until oct.

Didn't think I would get approved a second time around (extenuating circumstances). Truly isn't an issue, black was my original choice until the white became free. Like I said, my wife was a huge fan of the black even after it became a $750 up charge so we aren't disappointed. Would have loved to have saved $750 though.

I wish they'd be more realistic with their time frames. Or just over estimate. No one is going to complain if you say 6 weeks and deliver in 4, but they will if you say 2 weeks and deliver in 4.

This is probably why a bunch of people who ordered at the end of July, me included, just got a text that said 5-6 weeks. I'm hoping they'll deliver way before that. 7/28 order white/white perf, and I'll keep waiting because I want the car I ordered and won't settle for whatever is left on the lot.

Well said. I don't think they've completely embraced the concept of "under-promise and over-deliver"...when they change the website to say 6 weeks for a new order, we'll know they finally figured it out.

This is probably why a bunch of people who ordered at the end of July, me included, just got a text that said 5-6 weeks. I'm hoping they'll deliver way before that. 7/28 order white/white perf, and I'll keep waiting because I want the car I ordered and won't settle for whatever is left on the lot.

When I ordered my last two BMWs it took about 4 months to build and then ship half way around the world. So a couple months still isn’t that bad. But when they say it'll only take two weeks and they have no way to track or see progress it's kind of frustrating. With BMW you can track it being built, then people on their forums have figured out how to track the actual ships they're coming on, so you can basically watch the progress and know exactly where it's at.

Reactions: moltenfire
When I ordered my last two BMWs it took about 4 months to build and then ship half way around the world. So a couple months still isn’t that bad. But when they say it'll only take two weeks and they have no way to track or see progress it's kind of frustrating. With BMW you can track it being built, then people on their forums have figured out how to track the actual ships they're coming on, so you can basically watch the progress and know exactly where it's at.

Did that too, with my '07 335i. Found out what ship it was on, had a website for ship tracking so I could see where the ship was...I even watched it on the Panama Canal webcams as it passed through, then up the coast of Central America and Mexico to Port Hueneme in LA. I was obsessed.

I'll admit, when I saw the 2 week timeframe for the first time on the website, I thought it pretty much impossible, which is turning out to be true.

Did that too, with my '07 335i. Found out what ship it was on, had a website for ship tracking so I could see where the ship was...I even watched it on the Panama Canal webcams as it passed through, then up the coast of Central America and Mexico to Port Hueneme in LA. I was obsessed.

I'll admit, when I saw the 2 week timeframe for the first time on the website, I thought it pretty much impossible, which is turning out to be true.

I've done that twice.

I too was skeptical of the 2 week time frame but I held off ordering because of it and now I regret that. But oh well. I'll have it soon enough and all this waiting will be a distant memory.

Exactly this. I did a European Delivery for my Porsche and had a pick up date in Germany, and when I dropped it off after driving it around Europe I was given a link to follow its journey and estimated date of arrival. Like the poster above me, I am not upset at the fact that I have to wait - I am frustrated with the fact that I was told it would be "well within two weeks" just to have it changed to a potential 12-14 weeks. THAT is not ok. My husband sold his Audi based on the Sales Advisors and website estimate. We filled out financing for a portion of the car through Tesla based on our Sales Advisors advice. Now we are stuck a renting a vehicle and having another credit pull. Super fun.