Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What?
It’s a popular car and sold out. I don’t really understand why people aren’t getting this.
When I ordered mine on aug 5 I was told to realistically expect 1 month.
I would say if you really are paying attention to this thread it looks like the next batch is being made right now.
Also would say the average wait is about 6 weeks till you own it.

You apparently are not understanding what others are saying, let me break it down for you.

1. As consumers of luxury products, we expect a certain level of customer service.
2. When shelling out 60K+ for a car, we expect to trust the company we are purchasing from.
3. Expectations are not being met and that trust is dwindling away.

Like many of us in this forum have said, we understand that cars take time to build. I myself have had a Porsche custom built and waited months to pick it up in Germany to drive around and then again weeks for it to be delivered in the states. However, I went into that expecting it.

I, nor many on this thread, did NOT go into this sale expecting waiting up to five times the initial estimate. I am glad your Sales Advisor set your expectations low from the start, letting you know to expect at least a month for delivery. Our Sales Advisors did not do that. In my case it was the opposite, we were told to expect it prior to that two week mark and we took appropriate actions as requested by the Sales Advisor. Actions that we are now paying for in terms of rental car fees and dinged credit scores from another credit pull.

If the expectation was set from the beginning, then we could have delayed selling our car and made proper arrangements. Exactly what I did when I purchased my custom Porsche.

THAT is what YOU need to understand.

You apparently are not understanding what others are saying, let me break it down for you.

1. As consumers of luxury products, we expect a certain level of customer service.
2. When shelling out 60K+ for a car, we expect to trust the company we are purchasing from.

Like many of us in this forum have said, we understand that cars take time to build. I myself have had a Porsche custom built and waited months to pick it up in Germany to drive around and then again weeks for it to be delivered in the states. However, I went into that expecting it.

I, nor many on this thread, did NOT go into this sale expecting waiting up to five times the initial estimate. I am glad your Sales Advisor set your expectations low from the start, letting you know to expect at least a month for delivery. Our Sales Advisors did not do that. In my case it was the opposite, we were told to expect it prior to that two week mark and we took appropriate actions as requested by the Sales Advisor. Actions that we are now paying for in terms of rental car fees and dinged credit scores from another credit pull.

If the expectation was set from the beginning, then we could have delayed selling our car and made proper arrangements. Exactly what I did when I purchased my custom Porsche.

Agreed. Folks have lives to lead. Selling your current vehicle, lease returns, jobs, loans, cash, etc all have to be tightly coordinated. Their web site should just indicate 6 to 8 weeks for delivery. I'd be ecstatic if they over delivered but under promised. In my case, an idiot in Fremont matched a car to my order that he claimed was in the Bay Area. Except it wasn't. It was in Illinois. So I fully paid for a car that I was told 8 hours later that I couldn't actually have unless I wanted to pay an extra 2K to transfer to CA. That is not good customer service, and illustrates how screwed up their infrastructure is.

Reactions: Phlier
Agreed. Folks have lives to lead. Selling your current vehicle, lease returns, jobs, loans, cash, etc all have to be tightly coordinated. Their web site should just indicate 6 to 8 weeks for delivery. I'd be ecstatic if they over delivered but under promised. In my case, an idiot in Fremont matched a car to my order that he claimed was in the Bay Area. Except it wasn't. It was in Illinois. So I fully paid for a car that I was told 8 hours later that I couldn't actually have unless I wanted to pay an extra 2K to transfer to CA. That is not good customer service, and illustrates how screwed up their infrastructure is.

Great additional points! The cash that was pulled out of accounts that is no longer accruing interest and therefore costing us money! I know it is minimal, I know it is the biggest first world problem in the world - but it is an avoidable issue that we are having to endure because expectations were not properly set.

You are absolutely right! I ordered mine Model 3 performance on Aug. 5th with delivery in 2-3 weeks. Got the text 4 days ago saying another 3-4 weeks. That puts it 5-6 weeks out. And yup, another credit pull and more mileage on my trade in = lesser trade in value. ....thanks Tesla!

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Thankfully, I was able to sell my prior vehicle on the private market for a good price even though if I could do it over again I'd wait until I had the Tesla in hand. As it turns out I'm able to borrow one of my dad's vehicles that he doesn't need every day. If he wasn't able to do that for me I'd be stuck renting a car for 2-3-4 weeks until Tesla can actually deliver.

My two cents as a reservation holder (8/11 P3D+ white on black, FSD, no VIN yet) is that we're getting what we signed up for. Tesla and Elon Musk have a long history of over promising and under delivering. That hasn't stopped me from reserving a car (or going long on the stock) but it has leveled my expectations. It's a great car, I loved the test drive, and I'll wait impatiently until I have it. My co-workers make fun of me for how often I refresh my account in hopes of a VIN.

As it happens I also live a few blocks from Pier 80 in SF where Tesla load all their vehicles for overseas shipments. I've watched a steady stream of transport trucks taking predominantly P3D+s to those ships over the last few weeks. My theory is that they are trying to maximize their Q3 delivery numbers. That means that they're currently loading as many cars as they can on to ships for transit to Europe and Asia, with probably none allocated to North America. Given transit times and customs delays that window will close very soon and they'll refocus on NA deliveries. They'll start with production for the east coast (since those cars will need to get on trains soon) and then work their way toward the west coast. Ironically, by being close to the factory, I'm probably at the back of their queue. I still expect to get it before the end of next month.

Reactions: Duke846
My two cents as a reservation holder (8/11 P3D+ white on black, FSD, no VIN yet) is that we're getting what we signed up for. Tesla and Elon Musk have a long history of over promising and under delivering. That hasn't stopped me from reserving a car (or going long on the stock) but it has leveled my expectations. It's a great car, I loved the test drive, and I'll wait impatiently until I have it. My co-workers make fun of me for how often I refresh my account in hopes of a VIN.

As it happens I also live a few blocks from Pier 80 in SF where Tesla load all their vehicles for overseas shipments. I've watched a steady stream of transport trucks taking predominantly P3D+s to those ships over the last few weeks. My theory is that they are trying to maximize their Q3 delivery numbers. That means that they're currently loading as many cars as they can on to ships for transit to Europe and Asia, with probably none allocated to North America. Given transit times and customs delays that window will close very soon and they'll refocus on NA deliveries. They'll start with production for the east coast (since those cars will need to get on trains soon) and then work their way toward the west coast. Ironically, by being close to the factory, I'm probably at the back of their queue. I still expect to get it before the end of next month.
I get what you're saying and I agree with ya... all i wish is that the company that is taking 65k from me... would just tell me that... not leave me hangin.. and that would make it all good

Yeah, the "less than two week from order to delivery" thing on the website is pretty lame. Tesla definitely can and should do better at setting reasonable expectations. They'll need to do that if they ever want to be a mainstream car-maker.

But more immediately for the folks on this thread: I think we'll see a flood of VINs for North America in the next week or so. The ship that's currently in port is soaking up all production, and it's going to leave in the next day or so. There are no more scheduled at the moment (Tesla Carriers). We're all super frustrated by the lack of any apparent progress. I think that's about to change.

Nice and positive! All we can do is hope and wait and stay positive. (We are getting a awesome car that’s for sure).

I think you should send this to Tesla.
I totally understand the frustration! I am just a positive person and try to always hope for the best!

I also want to point out that not all of us are Fanboys/girls. We didn’t all spend hours perusing forums and taking note of “Elon Trends.” Some of us are normal folk that saw a pretty cool car, stopped in to test drive one and were sold.

I for one had no idea there was a trend of Elon not living up to his word. I’m just your average consumer - not a fangirl.

We don’t all share the same passions. Am I excited about my purchase, yes. Did I spend hours researching every single possibility? No. I didn’t do that for our Audi this car is replacing nor did I do it for my Porsche.

To some of us a car is just a car. Sure we want the best and we will gladly pay for it, but it’s still just a car.

Reactions: Mongenel and Putttt
I also want to point out that not all of us are Fanboys/girls. We didn’t all spend hours perusing forums and taking note of “Elon Trends.” Some of us are normal folk that saw a pretty cool car, stopped in to test drive one and were sold.

I for one had no idea there was a trend of Elon not living up to his word. I’m just your average consumer - not a fangirl.

We don’t all share the same passions. Am I excited about my purchase, yes. Did I spend hours researching every single possibility? No. I didn’t do that for our Audi this car is replacing nor did I do it for my Porsche.

To some of us a car is just a car. Sure we want the best and we will gladly pay for it, but it’s still just a car.
I also think you have the longest wait time on here right now.
You said you ordered on 7/29. I ordered mine on 8/5 white on white.
Stay busy try not to think about it sooo much. I am disappointed, but unfortunately know I can’t do anything about it.
You’re waiting will soon be over!

I also think you have the longest wait time on here right now.
You said you ordered on 7/29. I ordered mine on 8/5 white on white.
Stay busy try not to think about it sooo much. I am disappointed, but unfortunately know I can’t do anything about it.
You’re waiting will soon be over!
Order 7/22, and got nothing yet. My wife wants me to drop Tesla at this point and my family, friends, and co-workers now think tesla is a complete joke of a company who doesn't have their crap together. They are surprised I'm still holding out at this point. Most of them are saying because of my experience with their service, they would never consider a Tesla now.

Order 7/22, and got nothing yet. My wife wants me to drop Tesla at this point and my family, friends, and co-workers now think tesla is a complete joke of a company who doesn't have their crap together. They are surprised I'm still holding out at this point. Most of them are saying because of my experience with their service, they would never consider a Tesla now.
Elon is going to have his work cut out for him. Once he's sold all he can to the fan base, he's going to hear crickets until he can get the whole purchasing experience worked out.

So none of your friends/family/co-workers have ever custom ordered a car then? As I said before I've custom ordered 2 BMWs and both took over 4 months to get built and shipped. The only thing wrong with Tesla is that their estimate is overly optimistic. The time frame itself seems yo be well within the norm.

• Disagree
Reactions: Brnn
Elon is going to have his work cut out for him. Once he's sold all he can to the fan base, he's going to hear crickets until he can get the whole purchasing experience worked out.

I think that’s what we are seeing in this thread. It’s a mix of people with different levels of affection for Tesla. I think everyone is looking for an amazing car, which is why we’re all here, but not everyone was prepared for this wait and some of us expected a more typical car purchasing experience.

Yikes. The exact same thing happened to me. I found a P3D in Burlingame which would have qualified for free shipping to San Diego, but my SA thought I said Bellevue in Seattle. This actually ended up working out for me though, the Burlingame car was a demo car with 1k miles on it but the Bellevue car was brand new. Because of the mix up, he was able to negate the $2k shipping charge.

Reactions: bdelrizzo
It's not the wait. It's largely an estimate that is apparently taken out of thin air and the complete lack of communication once you've plunked down your deposit or full payment.
I agree, 100%. Tesla is horrible at communication. If they said it takes about a month from the start, it would suck, but it would keep expectations in check. It would have been easier for people to plan their lives knowing it will take some time. I rushed to sell my car within 2 weeks thinking it would be around 2 to 3 weeks to get my Tesla. Luckily, I have an extra POS I'm using until my Tesla arrives, but I probably could have gotten more money for my other car if I knew I had more time to sell it.

Tesla had to know how the European and Asian markets would affect their production. They should have been if front of this potential issue and raised the expected delivery dates ahead of this to prevent any possible backlash from their US customers. This whole thing has me frustrated, not to mention my auto loan expiring soon. But i am still here anxiously waiting for my delivery date.