Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Person Hits Model 3 and attempts to Flee

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone,

Someone just recently hit me in the parking lot. I'm not injured besides my poor model 3. It's been decided that the other driver is at fault. I gave them an address of where I will take the car for repair estimates which is a Telsa repair center. What's the next steps in the process? Can I give Telsa the green light once they give me a repair quote or at this point does the insurance adjustor work with Telsa?

Video of the Culprit below:

Attachments

• 20210425_144832.jpg
    20210425_144832.jpg
    764.8 KB · Views: 127
Wow and looks like his trailer hook really impaled your car and walking to his vehicle it's not like he didn't see you there before he got to his truck. Then it sure does look like he was intending to take off. I'd let your insurance handle it and send them the video so they have that to use with his insurance company (hopefully he has valid insurance).

Man I hate people like that. My husband's car got scraped down from the rear door to the bumper and the guys in the commercial truck knew it and still left the scene. A pedestrian stopped them before they turned on the main road and made them come back to the parking lot and she went in to inform my husband what she saw. My husband did however file a claim against their insurance who was Allstate and the adjuster there was very above board and had seen the video of them hitting his car and leaving the scene and being directed back. This was also a company vehicle so that and Allstate and the video and obviously the driver doing a hit and run helped get his claim settled pretty quickly. No trouble with them accepting fault. Adjuster came out to our home to work up the estimate. The car went to Tesla's body shop and once Tesla took off the bumper found more damage to the sensors, the bumper was replaced not repaired. Tesla Body contacted the adjuster again and they agreed to the additional repairs. Body shop did a nice job with the paint and dented panel and Allstate did pick up the additional cost of the Xpel that needed to be redone. We had to wait until the paint had fully cured before taking it in to get the Xpel replaced there. His car was in the shop for just under a week and Allstate covered the rental car. In his case wasn't a bad experience going through their insurance but different circumstances, who knows how it would have worked out. I'm heard some very frustrating and lengthy stories from others going through the other company.

Reactions: Postacular
Why were you in the middle of the lot instead of being in a parking spot? Just wondering.
if you were in an actual parking spot he would have enough room to back out and clear no problem?
Thanks for your comment. I was waiting for that parking spot he was in. It was safe where I was and no cars were backing in out as I was waiting except his car. I appreciate your question.

Wow and looks like his trailer hook really impaled your car and walking to his vehicle it's not like he didn't see you there before he got to his truck. Then it sure does look like he was intending to take off. I'd let your insurance handle it and send them the video so they have that to use with his insurance company (hopefully he has valid insurance).

Man I hate people like that. My husband's car got scraped down from the rear door to the bumper and the guys in the commercial truck knew it and still left the scene. A pedestrian stopped them before they turned on the main road and made them come back to the parking lot and she went in to inform my husband what she saw. My husband did however file a claim against their insurance who was Allstate and the adjuster there was very above board and had seen the video of them hitting his car and leaving the scene and being directed back. This was also a company vehicle so that and Allstate and the video and obviously the driver doing a hit and run helped get his claim settled pretty quickly. No trouble with them accepting fault. Adjuster came out to our home to work up the estimate. The car went to Tesla's body shop and once Tesla took off the bumper found more damage to the sensors, the bumper was replaced not repaired. Tesla Body contacted the adjuster again and they agreed to the additional repairs. Body shop did a nice job with the paint and dented panel and Allstate did pick up the additional cost of the Xpel that needed to be redone. We had to wait until the paint had fully cured before taking it in to get the Xpel replaced there. His car was in the shop for just under a week and Allstate covered the rental car. In his case wasn't a bad experience going through their insurance but different circumstances, who knows how it would have worked out. I'm heard some very frustrating and lengthy stories from others going through the other company.
Thank you for the tip. Would it affect me any on my insurance since he claimed fault already? You might be right to go through my own insurance.

Hey everyone,

Someone just recently hit me in the parking lot. I'm not injured besides my poor model 3. It's been decided that the other driver is at fault. I gave them an address of where I will take the car for repair estimates which is a Telsa repair center. What's the next steps in the process? Can I give Telsa the green light once they give me a repair quote or at this point does the insurance adjustor work with Telsa?

Video of the Culprit below:
It looks like the truck driver came and spoke with you before backing up. Can you remember what the conversation was?

Also, it looks like the truck driver had plenty of room to back up without hitting you. Was this at a bar/grill or could you tell if the driver had been drinking?

It looks like the truck driver came and spoke with you before backing up. Can you remember what the conversation was?

Also, it looks like the truck driver had plenty of room to back up without hitting you. Was this at a bar/grill or could you tell if the driver had been drinking?
He mentioned was gonna hit me when he backed out. Something along those lines. After he hit me he immediately admitted fault. What we have here folks is some guy just wanting to prove his point. He did look sorta drunk as well... Also, not you but I see many comments sorta defending the other driver... Really? 😂

What? Lol I couldn't back up. There was little to no room. 😂

One thing I have learned over my time here, is that for some reason I cant fathom, TMC members LOOOOVVEEEE (love love love) trying to break down videos of accidents, down to frame by frame commentary. Since you posted the video, you should be prepared for more people to attempt to break this video down frame by frame to assign blame.

I am not into that at all, so I have no comment on the video (I havent even watched it) but, in general, where this video of contact between two vehicles here, people tend to really want to dive into it for some reason.