Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Personal experiences/stories with aggressive drivers in this season

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes this is true. I am guilty myself - when COVID first hit I was driving more than ever and speeding like crazy in my 100D because no one else was on the road. It gets to be habit and I have made a conscious effort to stop. One easy way is to use Autopilot more.

Regarding rude drivers, well Denver takes the cake for me. Definitely the rudest drivers are in Denver - Houston is like four times bigger and just as busy but not nearly as rude. I have driven in lots and lots of major US cities in the west and mid-west. What is up with Denver and aggressive and rude driving? I do not find the culture or people of Denver to be rude, just the drivers. I think driving style becomes part of local culture.

Reactions: TK16688
ca drivers have always been aggressive and most don't maintain their cars. why change your tires? no need for tread right? it never rains here :rolleyes:

OMG, it was hilarious when we got a couple inches of snow last year. So many cars completely stuck on the side streets with their summer and/or bald tires. No wonder they close the freeways at the first hint of winter weather.

I hear the dealerships get slammed when it rains because people take their cars in to the dealer to get the windshield wipers replaced.

OMG, it was hilarious when we got a couple inches of snow last year. So many cars completely stuck on the side streets with their summer and/or bald tires. No wonder they close the freeways at the first hint of winter weather.

I hear the dealerships get slammed when it rains because people take their cars in to the dealer to get the windshield wipers replaced.

lol yeah. it's pretty bad. most of the cars are sitting outside in the sun so the wipers won't last a season. the worst is the first rain of the year..all the pollet and crap that is built up on the roads + oil gets lifted up and makes this gross white slurry. cars off the side of roads, understeering off onramp/offramps.

I have noticed this in SoCal as well. I live 70 miles from the office so I frequent the highway. People right now are out of their damn mind. Driving 80 mph I see so many cars passing me that have no damn business driving that fast due to the type of vehicle and lack of maintenance. I can say I have seen the average speed of drivers increasing over the last few years and yes with the lack of true “traffic” people are out of their damn minds. Also I’m a carpool lane driver but I do drive 80mph and people are all over my ass. If I’m doing 80-85 when the limit is 65, and you want to go faster feel free to go around lol. Lastly I love speed as much or more than most folks but certain vehicles are just not meant to maneuver that fast.

The coal rolling doesn't bother me since I don't even smell it through the HEPA filter. All that soot just can't be good for the environment though.

The first few months we had the S, I definitely felt I received more attention from Camaros, Bimmers, and MB drivers trying to prove their car was better or more powerful. Interestingly, I didn't get that behavior from Prosche or Corvette owners -- they must be more secure in their masculinity. I rarely drive in the left lane, I'm most comfortable in the middle or right lane (or whichever lane has the least potholes) on my commute. What bugs me are California drivers that ride my tail when they have the left lane to go around. Are they that friggin' lazy? Just got back from a roadtrip to Yellowstone and drivers in Idaho and Wyoming are the best, so courteous and patient and nobody honks their horn over there. I hate California drivers. They should make it harder to get a driver's license in Cali.

Yes, I’m mainly a middle driver as well and couldn’t agree more!

It doesn't happen with me, cause I only need to breath on the pedal to take care of it.....Ludicrous
A little bit ago I was behind Model S P100DL, a BWM X6M and as we were all on a highway on-ramp, I will tell you the P100DL did not overtake the BMW even though it tried (I was behind them in a P85DL, they both out accelerated my "pedal-to-the-metal" acceleration). It was a rolling start because the ramp started after a left turn from a traffic light, and both the MS and BMW were head to head doing probably 30-40mph when they both hit the throttle. They both hit the highway way above the speed limit btw, but still, Ludicrous S could not overtake the BMW what I'm guessing was a 30-90+mph race. I suspect if they went to >100mph, BMW would gain even more advantage too, and in this case the BMW X6 is really more in the Model X class/size.

So don't be overconfident. There are cars around, especially around the Bay Area, which you won't overtake on a highway even if you spit your lungs out at your pedal.

• Love
Reactions: ElectricIAC
A little bit ago I was behind Model S P100DL, a BWM X6M and as we were all on a highway on-ramp, I will tell you the P100DL did not overtake the BMW even though it tried (I was behind them in a P85DL, they both out accelerated my "pedal-to-the-metal" acceleration). It was a rolling start because the ramp started after a left turn from a traffic light, and both the MS and BMW were head to head doing probably 30-40mph when they both hit the throttle. They both hit the highway way above the speed limit btw, but still, Ludicrous S could not overtake the BMW what I'm guessing was a 30-90+mph race. I suspect if they went to >100mph, BMW would gain even more advantage too, and in this case the BMW X6 is really more in the Model X class/size.

So don't be overconfident. There are cars around, especially around the Bay Area, which you won't overtake on a highway even if you spit your lungs out at your pedal.
From a dig, even the old 75D cars can b-slap most fossil cars on the road but once you're rolling the tables are a lot more equal and we get our butt kicked in the over 100mph zone.

Had my Model S for a few years now and never experienced this in the Bay Area at all.

You're basically driving the equivalent of a Camry in any other part of the country. Nobody cares.
Had my Model S for a few years now and never experienced this in the Bay Area at all.

You're basically driving the equivalent of a Camry in any other part of the country. Nobody cares.

I can definitely confirm some drivers on the road care as well I’ve seen drivers pull up to me and mash the petal.

So I've had my new 100D for about a month now and I've got to say I feel like the drivers (at least here in the bay area) are driving more aggressively and erratically than before the covid/SIP mandate went into place around March of this year. I've already been cut off and tailed more times in a month than a year of driving in my old compact SUV. I'm almost never in Autopilot so I don't accidentally phantom break or scare other drivers so I can't figure out if the aggression is due to the sensitive times we're living in right now or because certain people genuinely don't like Tesla drivers. That being said, this is my first luxury and/or "sport" vehicle so perhaps it's more common for sports car drivers to experience more aggression from other drivers? I'd be interested to hear if you guys have any thoughts or similar experiences.
I just got my M3 this week, and while it's been in the open garage, or parked outside or on the street, people have been looking at it a lot. While driving a few people waved. It's too soon to tell if behavior of other drivers will be different due to the M3, but I'll say that the worst driving behavior in my area is people running through red lights when they had time/space to stop.
Stay vigilant on the roadway. (I lived in Hayward, San Leandro and SF in the late 70s; great area. I need to revisit it.) :cool:

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC

My issue with these guys are non-highway, like tailgating on a two lane road, or racing up to a stoplight next to me and making engine noise. I'm confident I can be outta their space or thru the intersection every time they ask for it. Normal drivers I'm fine with, and I accelerate gently.

I've noticed most people have been very good about staying out of the passing lane, probably to avoid dealing with aggressive drivers.

If anyone showed a hint of wanting to race at a light, I'd hold back and have them waste their effort. I watched Back to the Future!