Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Petition for government subsidies for EV’s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our governments have tipped multi billions of dollars into dying Australian motor industries, surely they can kick in some money to assist us getting off ICE vehicles? This will help get costs down, increase demand and allow more manufacturers to bring their soon to be cheaper cars to market here. We have to start somewhere.

Australia is the only country in the G20 that does not subsidise EV’s a Tesla Model 3 in Canada costs $35,700, in Australia the same car costs $70,000 on road.

please sign my petition to get Scomo and Co to introduce free tolls and purchase subsidies for Aussies!

Sign the Petition

Many thanks
Our governments have tipped multi billions of dollars into dying Australian motor industries, surely they can kick in some money to assist us getting off ICE vehicles? This will help get costs down, increase demand and allow more manufacturers to bring their soon to be cheaper cars to market here. We have to start somewhere.
They really need to every other country does, where as Australia slug EV’s withe luxury car tax!
If you are reading this and have 30 seconds to sign the petition please do

Australia is the only country in the G20 that does not subsidise EV’s a Tesla Model 3 in Canada costs $35,700, in Australia the same car costs $70,000 on road.

1. You got no chance with the current government.

2. Your facts are way off.
Base SR+ is currently CA$56k = A$65k plus local taxes. Shipping is a lot cheaper to Canada.
There is however currently a Federal CA$5k rebate (higher in Ontario because Tesla pretends to sell a $45k vehicle with 93mi range)
Electric Vehicle Incentives

Some direct incentives are already available in Australia, including a slightly higher LCT.
Vehicle & Energy Incentives

But the biggest one is - there is a massive ongoing subsidy baked in.
ICE vehicles pay 42c/L tax. Or at 10L/100Km about 4c/km.

So on a 20k/yr Tesla you are getting a $800 a year subsidy

So are you implying that electricity is not taxed ?. It certainly is on my electricity bill including on the supply charge, so an effective tax rate of up to 20%. Even more if you use very little grid power (ie have a high solar output).

In any case, it's not the poor subsidising the rich. The more people who move to electric cars, the less oil we import into Australia. That reduces our international debt and the value of our dollar increases, That reduces the price of everything to all Australians.
If our Government hadnt dug themselves into such a hole over coal, we could reduce our current account deficit and increase our national security, purely by reducing dependency on oil.

S
The more people who move to electric cars, the less oil we import into Australia. That reduces our international debt and the value of our dollar increases, That reduces the price of everything to all Australians.

Not wanting to get into macroeconomics, but the bulk of Australia exports (commodities, tourism, education) are highly price elastic.
So while the Tesla might get cheaper, more people won't be able to afford them.

GST on electricity as well as ICE fuel. So it's the same.

Not sure how you get to 20%

You're right, but we still pay tax.

Supply charge is fixed regardless of how much power you use. If you use an amount equal to the supply charge (pretty much my current use) you pay 10% on the fixed charge + 10% on your use, which is effectively 20% on your consumed power. If you use no grid power at all you still pay GST on the supply charge, effectively an infinite tax percentage (10%*fixed charge on 0 consumption).

You're right, but we still pay tax.

Supply charge is fixed regardless of how much power you use. If you use an amount equal to the supply charge (pretty much my current use) you pay 10% on the fixed charge + 10% on your use, which is effectively 20% on your consumed power. If you use no grid power at all you still pay GST on the supply charge, effectively an infinite tax percentage (10%*fixed charge on 0 consumption).
That really is quote a ridiculous way to calculate your tax. You have to pay your supply charge, its part of your bill. You pay 10% gat on your bill. Noting FIT is gst exempt.
If you are not using any grid power then get it disconnected. You then wont pay 10% gst on your supply charge, which is a consumption.

Reactions: Hovean
1. You got no chance with the current government.

2. Your facts are way off.
Base SR+ is currently CA$56k = A$65k plus local taxes. Shipping is a lot cheaper to Canada.
There is however currently a Federal CA$5k rebate (higher in Ontario because Tesla pretends to sell a $45k vehicle with 93mi range)
Electric Vehicle Incentives

Some direct incentives are already available in Australia, including a slightly higher LCT.
Vehicle & Energy Incentives

The big question is where does the 19 Billion dollars in Fossil fuel subsidy go?
( As reported by our government to the IMF )

• Disagree
Reactions: HighlyCharged
I'd sign something to remove taxes, but I don't see why poor people's taxes should help pay for cars that only well off people can afford.

The Greens would reduce taxes on EV. To pay for that they would introduce a 17% luxury fossil fuel car tax, on top of the LCT. This way there would be no poor people paying for rich people’s EVs.
Not sure I would vote for that. I might still want a ICE sports car.

All government subsidies to individuals or families should always be means tested, to avoid the “poor subsidising the rich” argument.

I like the Norway approach of taxing ICE rather than subsidising EVs since polluters pay, but this has its critics too (does it disproportionately impact the less well off?)

No easy answers here.