Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Petition to extend EV tax Credit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So just a thought here: wouldn't it make more sense to try and get the votes on a reasonable alternative to the current law? It shouldn't be about "we Tesla M3 buyers deserve the tax credit too", it should be more about the current law not being sufficient to achieve the goals of said law - moving America to cleaner transportation. Here are 3 ideas instead of the fixed 200k number per manufacturer you have today:

1, tie the tax credit to a % of the total US passenger vehicle install base becoming zero emission. E.g. 10% or 25% of all cars.
2, tie the tax credit to a % of the annual sales of new cars being zero emission.
3, change the ceiling from 200k per manufacturer to 100k or 200k per model, or x years of production of a model with a roof of 100k for example.

So just a thought here: wouldn't it make more sense to try and get the votes on a reasonable alternative to the current law? It shouldn't be about "we Tesla M3 buyers deserve the tax credit too", it should be more about the current law not being sufficient to achieve the goals of said law - moving America to cleaner transportation. Here are 3 ideas instead of the fixed 200k number per manufacturer you have today:

1, tie the tax credit to a % of the total US passenger vehicle install base becoming zero emission. E.g. 10% or 25% of all cars.
2, tie the tax credit to a % of the annual sales of new cars being zero emission.
3, change the ceiling from 200k per manufacturer to 100k or 200k per model, or x years of production of a model with a roof of 100k for example.
I have to say this is a much better idea, the original petition only proves more that the credit has accomplished its mission and deserves its retirement.
But dude you're from Hungary, why do you care?;)

A much better option would be to eliminate fossil fuel subsidies. It'll drive far, far, far more sales to EVs than the $7500 credit could ever hope to accomplish.

When Americans are paying $6-8 per gallon of gas like a lot of Euro countries, the switch will happen fast.

Reactions: GoTslaGo
I saw at least 3 separate petitions in regarding the same topic in the last 1 month or so at TMC. All using whitehouse.gov for petition. Probably need better coordination? or just use the previous petition to add more signatures?

I saw at least 3 separate petitions in regarding the same topic in the last 1 month or so at TMC. All using whitehouse.gov for petition. Probably need better coordination? or just use the previous petition to add more signatures?

Or realize that petitioning the White House on something 100% controlled by Congress is 100% worthless and stop trying?

A much better option would be to eliminate fossil fuel subsidies. It'll drive far, far, far more sales to EVs than the $7500 credit could ever hope to accomplish.

When Americans are paying $6-8 per gallon of gas like a lot of Euro countries, the switch will happen fast.

Very true, we saw a transition when gas went up to 4-5 dollars per gallon. Now it's cheap again we're seeing the opposite trend again (SUVs, etc...). May I say, I'm glad Hummer is gone... natural selection is a good thing.

I have to say this is a much better idea, the original petition only proves more that the credit has accomplished its mission and deserves its retirement.
But dude you're from Hungary, why do you care?;)
Still a TSLA shareholder and this would do good for the stock. Plus something like that could be a model for the EU.

PS: Also, I've been on TMC for 3 years now and have become a completely brainwashed Tesla fan.

Last edited:

The reason we pay much more for gas is not just the lack of subsidies, but because we have a LOT of tax on gas as that's paying for much of the social net, like healthcare and such.

On a general note though, what you suggest could have catastrophic effects on the US economy on the short term with crazy inflation and falling GDP. The ICE infrastructure is the backbone of the economy and not something you can replace overnight. Even if all manufacturer's switched to pure BEV 100% tomorrow, it would take 15-20 years to replace all the cars and trucks. The $6-8 gas would hit your economy immediately though.

so Ithink this is the right longterm goal, but would be a very dangerous experiment on the short term.