Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PG&E Billing/Usage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

getakey

Jan 28, 2020
I installed 3 PWs to an existing solar system.
Got PTO on 4/17. PG&E sent me a True-up bill for everrything through 4/16 which was due 6/14.
I have not yet reeived a subsequent bill - I guess net bill will be due 7/14 for usage from 5/17 to 6/16?

However, the odd part is that when I go to look at my usage on PG&E website, it only shows usage up to May 26. It has not updated for anything since then. In the past, it would show usage up to about 2 or 3 days prior to current day.

I wasn't aware of the true-up, but someone on this forum confirmed that they do a true up upon installation of the PWs. Not sure why, but it got me a $550. bill just before my peak summer production months. My normal true up would be ~$50.

I hope not
When I upgraded my solar part of the PTO approval was to switch from my grandfathered tiered rate plan and NEM1 to a TOU plan and NEM2.
When I contracted Tesla to install my Powerwalls I had to electronically sign a form that allowed Tesla to allow them to deal with PG&E on my behalf to submit the paperwork for the PTO. I believe the proposed rate plan is part of the PTO application.
I'm expecting a rate plan change again for the Powerwall PTO but that is because I've applied for a SGIP incentive and that is one of the conditions.
You may want to contact Tesla to find out what rate plan they put on the PTO application.

You lost your old billing when you applied for a new PTO. You are now on a new rate plan and you will have a new true up starting from the new PTO. You are now on a multiple tariff rate. NEM2MT (Generation and Paired storage) Did you have to install an NGOM sub meter?

To answer your other question, it appears that usage data is not supported on the dual tariffs for some reason. I have not had usage data since my PTO in 2018. I sent a message to customer support a couple of weeks ago and they said it's not supported because of the tariff I''m on (NEM with paired storage).

To answer your other question, it appears that usage data is not supported on the dual tariffs for some reason. I have not had usage data since my PTO in 2018. I sent a message to customer support a couple of weeks ago and they said it's not supported because of the tariff I''m on (NEM with paired storage).

You can download usage from the "Green button" on your PGE account page "Energy Usage Details" Scroll down to the green button download.. You can also see your billing under "Hi, (yourname) drop down "My Accounts & services" "View Services" scroll down to download detail of bill.

I still have access to the online usage charting. I have two solar systems (installed at different times) and the PWs (installed 3rd time). But I don't have a PTO for the PWs yet so maybe when I get that I can say goodbye to the online usage charting.

I still have access to the online usage charting. I have two solar systems (installed at different times) and the PWs (installed 3rd time). But I don't have a PTO for the PWs yet so maybe when I get that I can say goodbye to the online usage charting.
It might depend on which rate plan you get put on. I'm probably going to get bumped to EV2A but I'd be surprised if that doesn't have the capability of online usage charting.

My experience has been pretty similar to @getakey (pre-existing solar, PTO for Powerwalls generated an insta-true-up and billing cycle weirdness, still on EV-A + NEM1). I'm back to the many-page opaque billing statements...I really don't get how any human being could possibly understand these stupid things. Haven't looked at the usage data on the PG&E Web site up-to-date but I remember it wasn't current last time I looked.

Bruce.

Haven't looked at the usage data on the PG&E Web site up-to-date but I remember it wasn't current last time I looked.
It's actually not bad now and only a day behind.

But alas it sounds like when you add PWs their system breaks and it's no more.

It's really best for validating what you probably already know through the PW data anyway. Easier to get that through the app IMHO.