Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PG&E EV2-A Best for Us

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here or on Facebook, someone was saying that a non-EV rate plan (PG&E) was better for them because they used electricity during the day. PG&E lets you evaluate the different plans based on your activity, and it showed me that our EV2-A plan is much better than the alternatives.

Note that we are in far northern California, and don't even own an air conditioner.

Screen Shot 2022-09-18 at 7.57.58 AM.jpg

Right. I have our bathroom dehumidifier on a timer so that it doesn't run after 3 PM.
With an E-TOU-C cost of $4,290 you must be consuming around 13,000 kWh on an annual basis. I was going to say that the dehumidifier was likely not a major contributor, but after looking into the electricity usage for small portable usage they seem like energy hogs. If you have a 500W unit that is running off-peak from 12:00am-3:00pm (15 hours) that is 7.5 kWh/day, 225 kWh/month or 2,738 kWh/year. With EV2A off-peak pricing of $0.24699 that is $676/year. With E-TOU-C that would be around $963/year.

Maybe you should fix the root cause of needing a dehumidifier in the bathroom?

• Informative
Reactions: Lindenwood
The EV rate and even the TOU rate was about what I'm already paying. My house has solar panels and doesn't have AC so I have very low usage. I have a feeling that at some point PG&E is going to force all of us to a TOU plan and it's not for our benefit. They know people want to watch TV, cook and do laundry during normal hours, and don't have Vampire schedules.

The EV rate and even the TOU rate was about what I'm already paying. My house has solar panels and doesn't have AC so I have very low usage. I have a feeling that at some point PG&E is going to force all of us to a TOU plan and it's not for our benefit. They know people want to watch TV, cook and do laundry during normal hours, and don't have Vampire schedules.
Of course, TOU actually makes economic sense, since that is when the most electricity use occurs, resulting in greater chance of overloading the grid, and greater use of expensive generation that is turned off when less than maximum is needed. The biggest factor during the summer is greater air conditioning use during the late afternoon and early evening hours.

You can take a look at actual use throughout the day here: California ISO - Today's Outlook

You can also compare it to a high use day (e.g. September 7, 2022).

Of course, TOU actually makes economic sense, since that is when the most electricity use occurs, resulting in greater chance of overloading the grid, and greater use of expensive generation that is turned off when less than maximum is needed.
Since Cities keep getting larger, seems to me it would make better sense to build more power stations. If a grid can't handle when everyone has their AC on, then it was under designed. And if it can't supply enough power for growth, then stop building new homes.

Since Cities keep getting larger, seems to me it would make better sense to build more power stations. If a grid can't handle when everyone has their AC on, then it was under designed. And if it can't supply enough power for growth, then stop building new homes.
Building extra power stations means that more capacity will be unused most of the time, meaning that the cost of such will be very high for each GWh generated by them. Higher peak hour use that necessitates these extra power stations is another reason why electricity costs more to provide during peak hours, and hence time of use rates make economic sense in creating user incentives to lower peak hour use.

I have a feeling that at some point PG&E is going to force all of us to a TOU plan and it's not for our benefit.
PG&E is already FORCING it. I got the letter 6+ mo ago. I’m staying with my EV2A plan. Cheapest for my needs. No AC. 2 EVs. I run my laundry and dishwasher off-peak. Everything is LED. Otherwise I use electricity as I always have.

I put solar up on my house Nov. 2010 and I believe I've been on PG&E's TOU E-6 rate plan for the duration. They are discontinuing that plan at the end of this year and I'll automatically transition to E-TOU-C (peak times 4-9pm every day), if I don't select another plan,. I don't know if E-TOU-C is a cheaper option than any of their other plans so I guess it's time to whip out the calculator and see. I'm not sure I trust PG&E to tell me what's best for my wallet when they have so many liabilities to cover.

I am not planning on installing my Wall Connector yet as I still have access to a CHAdeMO station near me that's less expensive than any of PG&E's rates.

ref: Time-of-Use Plan (E-6)
ref: https://www.pge.com/tariffs/Res_Inclu_TOU_Current.xlsx

PG&E has been continually moving the goal posts. So I am on EV2-A but have 16kW of PV solar and 2 Powerwalls. I use the PW to cover from 3-9 pm and of course charge cars after midnight. We still have to cook dinner (electric oven) and do laundry before 9 pm. Dishwasher runs after midnight.

With an E-TOU-C cost of $4,290 you must be consuming around 13,000 kWh on an annual basis. I was going to say that the dehumidifier was likely not a major contributor, but after looking into the electricity usage for small portable usage they seem like energy hogs. If you have a 500W unit that is running off-peak from 12:00am-3:00pm (15 hours) that is 7.5 kWh/day, 225 kWh/month or 2,738 kWh/year. With EV2A off-peak pricing of $0.24699 that is $676/year. With E-TOU-C that would be around $963/year.

Maybe you should fix the root cause of needing a dehumidifier in the bathroom?
I checked with my Kill-a-Watt meter, and the dehumidifier used 0.85 kWh in one day. Thanks for promoting me to look into it.

Screenshot_20220921-151632_Brave.jpg