Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom Alarms Since 2019.12

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the past couple of weeks since I updated to 2019.12, my Model X has been sounding the imminent crash alarm where it beeps loudly three times and flashes red on the dash. Previously I have only ever heard this alarm twice, and both times I was braking late when approaching a stopped vehicle so it made sense to sound the alarm. However, since 2019.12, the alarm has sounded much more frequently when no crash is reasonably possible:

• Following a vehicle on the freeway approximately 50ft behind, driving the same speed as the vehicle in front
  • Driving on an empty, straight road (it makes up a phantom car on the dash)
  • Driving on curved road with vehicles parked on the side of the street. It thinks the parked vehicles are in my lane, however the road is clearly marked and curving away from the parked car
  • Driving on a straight road with vehicles parked on the side. This has happened when the markings are less clear

Note that this has always happened when driving manually. It's not an AP issue. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this sudden uptick in false positives, or if it's a sensor gone wrong in my vehicle? If it's a sensor issue I want to get it fixed ASAP since the false alarms are very startling and could potentially be dangerous in a heavy traffic situation. It just seems odd to me that I have only ever experienced this alarm twice prior to 2019.12, and now I have experienced it probably 10-15 times.

Last edited:
Hi DoctorVenkman,

I am on Version 2019.16.2 My Forward Collision Warning is set to "Medium."
The imminent crash alarm has been going off more frequently for me too...
It occurs while running the car in "manual" and "TACC."
I do not feel I am in danger of striking the car ahead but if I am not on the brake - It lets me know...

It has saved me one time from being at fault in a rear end collision.

I think Tesla is "fine tuning" the car (and driver) to be less aggressive.

Shawn