Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom Braking… or is it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First long trip in my Model Y. Headed north up the A1 and then the M62 and M6. Really impressed with the car. We had a couple of phantom braking episodes, but they were kind of expected. The lane following had a bit of an episode with some road markings, but I kind of can forgive that. (It’s designed for well marked roads). The “interesting” one was two episodes when the Autopilot decided to change the set speed. It happened on the M62 travelling round a fairly tight bend for a Motorway. Autopilot was on Traffic aware and set to 70mph max. The brakes came on, I took action and hit the accelerator to override it. I then looked at the display. The set speed was showing 45mph max. It then went to 55pmh, then 65mph then back to 70mph…

Anyone experienced this?

• Informative
Reactions: QUBO
Yes, yesterday, I was heading North on I5 somewhere between Cardiff and Encinitas on AutoPilot with Nav set to 78 when the car all of a sudden braked hard. It really alerted my wife and kid. There were no overpasses, no cars in front of us, really no reason to do that. When I looked at the display, I noticed the speed limit said 55 which was wrong for that stretch of road (65mph). Not sure if the car braked that hard because it thought the speed limit decreased from 65 to 55?? Whatever it was, figure it out and get it fixed Tesla!

I'm pretty sure the speed limit stuff comes from Google maps. I have been wrong before, though. Once. Maybe. :)

And I have no idea why Tesla feels like the speed change has to be that abrupt. You can see the speed change coming, why not blend it in so that you arrive at the correct speed limit right on time? And now I'm preaching to the choir.

Early on in my ownership of my MY, I was on the lookout for phantom braking, and it did happen. Then I noticed that it seems to happen at the same place, and like some of the earlier posts, I think it has more to do with the car's resetting the speed limit and therefore reducing its speed. So I suspect more that the car is changing its set speed due to a speed limit change and not a "phantom."

Reactions: HSATD
Just back from a trip to Texas, and the had several times phantom braking, on one I was passing a truck and then I at the back wheels of the truck the car braked, and the warning on the screen was the the lane departure avoidance features were unavailable, so that was strange. Another time along on the road at 73 mph and the sun was hitting the front window at just the right angle and the car braked. Seem to me that with the sun blinding the front cameras the phantom braking happen several times with no other traffic on the road. The road was wet, so no real strong shade on the road, as I have seen this cause the braking. Seems light to very dark patches on the road seem to cause braking!
Early on in my ownership of my MY, I was on the lookout for phantom braking, and it did happen. Then I noticed that it seems to happen at the same place, and like some of the earlier posts, I think it has more to do with the car's resetting the speed limit and therefore reducing its speed. So I suspect more that the car is changing its set speed due to a speed limit change and not a "phantom."
car braked

Reactions: Venturer
I have had it happen a few times, the worst was at 110kph (70mph) in the outside lane when it decided to reset the speed to 40 (25mph)! Good job there was nothing behind me. As HSATD said above, I think it is some old speed limits in maps that it decides it should follow, old roadworks or similar. But I don't know why it only does it occasionally, it does not adjust to current speed changes (mine is set to "Current Speed").

My very first medium trip with the car (120km round trip), I had a couple of phantom braking episodes on the highway. Never happened in any other car with adaptive cruise control (and given how this thing drives in stop & go, I would rather just have a dumb cruise control for highway driving). However they weren't that hard -- the car slowed down by about 10 km/h. Once time seemed to be triggered by an overpass, and the other was while passing a large truck.