Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom braking return?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How is the GLC otherwise? We quite liked it also, but I got a bit scared at the price the moment I ticked any single option!

Back to the topic, my phantom braking extravaganza has really only been since the EAP trial started. It finishes today, so I’ll hold my breath that things will return to what once was!
The GLC is great, we were hoping to be able to order the updated current 2023 model which has double electric range but Benz have decided no more Hybrids are coming to Australia so we got one of the final allotment of 2022 Hybrids being sold in Australia.

My Model S has had EAP from day one so I've known no different. I wish I could switch it off and just have basic cruise control at least without fear of randomly being rear ended.

I had phantom braking events about 10-12 times over four days of driving, 1600 miles. This was all desert interstate highways in SW US with no traffic around me during any of the occurrences. Some happened in TACC and others in TACC/autosteer. I have over 11K miles on the car now and this has been a continuous issue. Reports to Tesla yield no solution. I find the issue very disconcerting for my passengers to the point I will not use the system when others are in the car. I also do not use the system when vehicles are close behind me; a rear end collision is quite possible during one of these hard braking events.. This seems to be a serious safety issue that Tesla does not want to deal with. I wondering if I should try reporting it to NTHSA but I'm thinking they already know about it and have also chosen to do nothing.
Report it, if you think this is a serious safety issue (which I think it is, cannot be customers' imagination). Only way to improve the situation. Complacency kills, as they say.

Whenever I’ve had it of late, it shows the car in the adjacent lane in dark grey as the culprit, even though that car is completely within its lanes. Considering what autopilot CAN do already, I don’t really understand why this is so difficult to fix.

it shows the car in the adjacent lane in dark grey as the culprit,
Whenever I've had breaking during AP it's because there has been a car in the next lanes that was moving towards my lane. It shows them as darker grey as you said- it's because it has interpreted them as moving horizontally. In the cases were I slowed down the cars actually did enter my lane so it was appropriate.

Whenever I've had breaking during AP it's because there has been a car in the next lanes that was moving towards my lane. It shows them as darker grey as you said- it's because it has interpreted them as moving horizontally. In the cases were I slowed down the cars actually did enter my lane so it was appropriate.
I've had a variant on that, a car from the far lane moving over into the adjacent lane, your typical lane change on a three lane highway. AP misinterprets the movement and brakes in anticipation of the car possibly coming into my lane.

I have experienced a few "phantom braking" on the highway. I was confused the first few times, but lately I noticed that every time it happens, it is because of the speed limit suddenly dropped for a short distance, like, on a 65 MPH highway, it dropped to 45MPH briefly for no reason.

I hope this information can be feedbacked to Tesla, but not sure how to.