Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone Charging Pad

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Pixel 3 with a outterbox case does not charge in the car however it will on my desk charging pad. How do I know if it is the car's charging pad or that my case is too thick?
It's probably the Tesla charging pad that is the issue. We tried 3 different phones on ours back in June and found that none of them would charge on the Tesla charging pad if they were still in a case. We even had a mobile tech come out and he confirmed his phone wouldn't charge either. We ended up installing the Jeda charging pad and it can charge both phones (in cases) just fine.

I have an iPhone SE2 in an Otterbox Commuter case; I am able to charge with no issues using the Model Y's wireless charging pad. I checked with the people at Otterbox, asked which of their cases worked with wireless charging and was told that the Commuter case would work; they were right. I have always, in the past, used Otterbox Defender cases with my iPhones. I prefer the rubber coated Defender case because it does not slide around on a smooth surface or slip out of my pocket or hand the way the Commuter case can. The iPhone SE2 and the Otterbox Commuter case is a good combination that works reliably with the wireless charging pad in my Model Y; also works well with the Belkin wireless charging pad and the RAVPower wireless charging pad.

The charging coils on the Tesla pad are pretty low and the groove in the bottom ledge is too narrow for big phones with big cases. The result is the phone sits too high to initiate charging. I designed a spacer that clips in between the ledge and the charging platform allowing my phone to drop down fully and charge on the Tesla pad. If you have a 3D printer I would be happy to send you the STL file.

Edit: Attached the zipped STL file to the post

Attachments

• charging pad spacer 4.zip
    3.7 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
I have a Pixel 3 in an Otterbox Symmetry case that charges fine in our MY. I also have a Tylt charging stand at home. For the Pixel to charge on that stand I need to turn it upside down. Does your Pixel 3 charge in the MY if you invert it? Do other phones charge?

My wife's iPhone in an Otterbox Symmetry case would not charge in the MY because the thickness of the case prevented it from sitting all the way down on the shelf. I printed Tesla Model 3 Phone Dock Spacer 6mm or 8mm by chilman408 (6mm version) and that solved the issue for the iPhone. Make sure that you print it in ABS and not PLA. I used makexyz.com for the printing.

You can also remove the charger from the car and plug it in to a different power source to test if it is the location of the phone or the charger that is the issue.

The charging coils on the Tesla pad are pretty low and the groove in the bottom ledge is too narrow for big phones with big cases. The result is the phone sits too high to initiate charging. I designed a spacer that clips in between the ledge and the charging platform allowing my phone to drop down fully and charge on the Tesla pad. If you have a 3D printer I would be happy to send you the STL file.

Thanks for the info, but I don't have 3D printer.

I have a Pixel 3 in an Otterbox Symmetry case that charges fine in our MY. I also have a Tylt charging stand at home. For the Pixel to charge on that stand I need to turn it upside down. Does your Pixel 3 charge in the MY if you invert it? Do other phones charge?

My wife's iPhone in an Otterbox Symmetry case would not charge in the MY because the thickness of the case prevented it from sitting all the way down on the shelf. I printed Tesla Model 3 Phone Dock Spacer 6mm or 8mm by chilman408 (6mm version) and that solved the issue for the iPhone. Make sure that you print it in ABS and not PLA. I used makexyz.com for the printing.

You can also remove the charger from the car and plug it in to a different power source to test if it is the location of the phone or the charger that is the issue.

Thank you I will try to see if turning upside down will work. I

It's probably the Tesla charging pad that is the issue. We tried 3 different phones on ours back in June and found that none of them would charge on the Tesla charging pad if they were still in a case. We even had a mobile tech come out and he confirmed his phone wouldn't charge either. We ended up installing the Jeda charging pad and it can charge both phones (in cases) just fine.
I may try the Jeda pad. Thanks

Do you have a picture how this fits to the ledge and charging platform?

Would you post a photo? I need to do something because my wallet case is too wide to slip down and let the bottom of the phone make contact with the bed of the charger. I want to see what you’ve done. Thanks.

Pictures attached. It slides into where the bottom shelf slides in and then the bottom shelf slides into it. The top is pocketed and the bottom clips extend below the bottom of the spacer to match what the shelf itself is like. I printed it upside down with supports only from the bed using Matterhackers Ryno filament.

Also, if anybody has access to Inventor and wants to mess around with the model I can provide the Inventor file.

Attachments

• 20201125_190652.jpg
    20201125_190652.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 114
  • 20201125_190711.jpg
    20201125_190711.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 77
  • 20201125_190846.jpg
    20201125_190846.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 80
  • 20201125_191124.jpg
    20201125_191124.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 90
  • 20201125_191218.jpg
    20201125_191218.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 84
Pictures attached. It slides into where the bottom shelf slides in and then the bottom shelf slides into it. The top is pocketed and the bottom clips extend below the bottom of the spacer to match what the shelf itself is like. I printed it upside down with supports only from the bed using Matterhackers Ryno filament.

Also, if anybody has access to Inventor and wants to mess around with the model I can provide the Inventor file.
Thanks for taking the time to provide these pictures. Unfortunately, some pictures are too blurry and too close that I don't get a good sense of what I am looking at.

Is it possible for you to print one more and post ,i can pay the cost of product and shipping,please help.