Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tapping into Wireless Charging Pad power

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone. My first post in here but I have really benefited from reading through old posts here. A wealth of information!

I find the wireless charging pad not effective (location, charging success, etc). I would like to tap into the power and do something with it (i.e. accessory power, power more USBs, etc). I did do a search here and nothing really shows up. There is one promising solution that Teslatap did but so far it looks like the product exists for the S/X and not yet for the Y.

Anyone had any success tapping into or repurposing the power connection for the wireless charging pad?

Thanks,

I have the entire console taken apart and exposed the entire wiring harness. Yes you can just unplug the charging pad unit and do something else. I plan on hooking up a few extra USB C ports. Just be reasonable about power draw. The wiring is not made for too much. 300 Watt continues, 400 peak.

Reactions: Scubamikey
I have the entire console taken apart and exposed the entire wiring harness. Yes you can just unplug the charging pad unit and do something else. I plan on hooking up a few extra USB C ports. Just be reasonable about power draw. The wiring is not made for too much. 300 Watt continues, 400 peak.
I would love to see what you end up doing and how. I haven't taken apart (partly bc I never have the car for long as my wife has pretty much taken the car most of the time ha). Especially if you figure out a non-destructive harness interface or whatever the terminology is. I only have the ideas, not the skills haha

Reactions: Scubamikey
It's a work/travel/nomad build. Not much to show at this point. Just a big mess.
So far I took the back seats out and the passenger seat. That alone is a task on it's own as the car complains about each an every little thing in the seat if not present. I had to dissect the occupancy sensor, heating pads, seat belt tensioner, position sensor, airbag and a few other things, and reconnect them to the wire harness. Without it you get constant error messages on your screen.

Last edited: