Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone Functionality

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey,

My delivery is in two weeks and from what I've seen, there isn't any CarPlay or thought to bring it along right? You also can't play music through the usb plug? No wireless charging,,

Has anyone done little things to make the car more phone/media friendly? I've seen a couple of people online add a wireless charging mat? I am in a small Volvo XC40 right now and even that has one.

The XC40 has the advantage of being designed/released 6 years after the MS, but yeah - wireless charge mat seems like an easy option to add. (But there could be power tap ramifications that affect the manufacturing process in ways not so simple to the layperson.)

I’m not sure what USB music would bring to the table. The car has Tune-In and Slacker integrated free. Spotify is said to be coming soon. Audio via Bluetooth is there from whatever source you want on your phone. True to have to select the source and playlist on your phone (unless it’s the default or already in the foreground), but after that you get track data and track control from the car. For iOS, Siri hands free commands are as effective as, well, Siri. I still prefer to have CarPlay but it’s very workable.

I would like a better way to send nav destinations to the car without adding a calendar entry - which isn’t completely reliable. 99% of the time I just voice command to relay it to car nav (which works just as good as google anywhere else).

Edit: oh yeah, and I did get a dual charge mat, 90 degree cable, and QC3 adapter.

The XC40 has the advantage of being designed/released 6 years after the MS, but yeah - wireless charge mat seems like an easy option to add. (But there could be power tap ramifications that affect the manufacturing process in ways not so simple to the layperson.)

I’m not sure what USB music would bring to the table. The car has Tune-In and Slacker integrated free. Spotify is said to be coming soon. Audio via Bluetooth is there from whatever source you want on your phone. True to have to select the source and playlist on your phone (unless it’s the default or already in the foreground), but after that you get track data and track control from the car. For iOS, Siri hands free commands are as effective as, well, Siri. I still prefer to have CarPlay but it’s very workable.

I would like a better way to send nav destinations to the car without adding a calendar entry - which isn’t completely reliable. 99% of the time I just voice command to relay it to car nav (which works just as good as google anywhere else).

Edit: oh yeah, and I did get a dual charge mat, 90 degree cable, and QC3 adapter.
If you have the TESLA app on your phone you can enter a destination in Google maps or Waze on your phone and send/share it to the TESLA app which automatically / instantly sends it to the in-car navigation system

• Love
Reactions: AW9nineteen