Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So, I’m sitting in my car, setting stuff up, and have MORE questions, of course.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, really - rip the CD (or a bunch of CDs) to your computer as MP3 format. Then follow the instructions to repartition the USB key in the glovebox so it can do both dashcam and USB media, and copy the MP3 files from the CD to that. That is so much better than fiddling with physical CDs and then using a device connected to bluetooth so that you can no longer answer the phone on the car.

This is really the better solution. And if you're an audiophile, lossless flac files would be better.

Reactions: smogne41
No, really - rip the CD (or a bunch of CDs) to your computer as MP3 format. Then follow the instructions to repartition the USB key in the glovebox so it can do both dashcam and USB media, and copy the MP3 files from the CD to that. That is so much better than fiddling with physical CDs and then using a device connected to bluetooth so that you can no longer answer the phone on the car.
Well, if you insist! :oops: Once I did that, would I be able to scroll though the list and pick where I start, individual songs, etc.?
Happy TG BTW!

Just browse r/IdiotsInCars on reddit for a few minutes and you will never want to be without a dash-cam running all the time again. Incidentally a tone of the footage on there comes from Tesla dashcams.

You can also set up the glovebox drive to have your music collection on it if you have a large mp3/etc collection. You can have one drive do dashcam/sentry and music.
OMG, I finally got around to browsing r/IdiotsInCars on reddit last night. Dash-cam will be getting turned on today! I also looked at r/IdiotsInBoats because I'm a former boater, and holy crap, mind blowing idiocy there too!

Scary, but grimly entertaining stuff.

Thanks!

Reactions: smogne41
OMG, I finally got around to browsing r/IdiotsInCars on reddit last night. Dash-cam will be getting turned on today! I also looked at r/IdiotsInBoats because I'm a former boater, and holy crap, mind blowing idiocy there too!

Scary, but grimly entertaining stuff.

Thanks!
Interestingly, YouTube videos showing all sorts of "interesting" behavior of Russians, in Russia, were almost the first to show up. In large part because a lot of Russians apparently always think they have an angle. Like watching, on a posted video, some older gonzo run up to a stopped car, pause, throw himself at the car, and then fall down, screaming madly, Insurance fraud, of course. (The notes on that particular video reported that the local Russian cops took an interest in that one.)

Given the lackadaisical rule of law, or lack thereof, in Russia, it became apparent that a heck of a lot of Russian drivers were putting dashcams in their cars, long before it got to be common practice anywhere else, in self-defense.

FWIW, the SO and I were driving east on I-84 in Connecticut, outside of Hartford, when we got passed, fairly normally, by a small pick-up truck towing a smallish pop-up camper. When the truck was a couple of hundred yards ahead of us it hit a rough patch in the left lane, there was a burst of dirt kicked up, and the trailer, sans truck, went from left to right in front of us and rammed some innocent lady in a small SUV in the right lane. Good on her: She managed to slow to a stop with the trailer jammed into the left front wheel well without going over the embankment on the right, luckily missing a nearby light pole in the process. We stopped to render aid, which turned out to mainly be calming down a lady in near-hysterics. Telling her she did a great job helped some.

The pick-up truck driver did stop and he and his passenger came by. And started trying to pull the trailer off her car. Being suspicious, I started taking pictures, starting with their license plate, while the SO called the State Cops. The pickup types desisted and the cops showed up in quick order.

While I was standing there, calming down, the light bulb went off. I turned to the second cop to arrive and said to him, "We had the dashcam on and got a good look at everything. Would you like a look?"

He put on a big grin and said, "THAT'S why I love Teslas!". We moved over to the car, searched through the dashcam video, and, after a little fumbling, displayed the sequence of events while the cop used his own cell phone to video the video. After he had his data and, just being witnesses and all, we left.

But I still feel a little bad about that video. It turns out that one needs to honk the horn or do some other action to get the car to preserve a dashcam video. The SO and I looked for it when we got to lunch and it was gone.

So, if you do use that Dashcam, make Absolutely Sure you know how to save the video, lest it get overwritten or not saved. There have been numerous posts on the forum about precisely that issue, mainly about people who just wish they could prove that some idiot had done the damage and it was Their Fault. And make sure you wait 30 seconds or so before beeping the horn or whatever it is, so you do get that video saved.

Reactions: fiehlsport