Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone GPS signal getting lost in M3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Whenever I try to use my phone for GPS functionality with either Google maps or Waze, the phone losses gps signal at the center console, especially in the phone dock area. I really need to use Waze because it always helps me avoid traffic situations on my commute route. I have a pixel phone. Is there a solution to this problem? Is anyone else facing same problem?

I've never experienced GPS related issues due to the car itself, but have noted that specific areas (in the city, usually in between tall buildings like we have here in Manhattan) reception drops - for all devices, including the built-in GPS, and mobile phones.

Do those phones actually connect to GPS satellite signals? Most likely cell towers. Going down coast of California from Big Sur south - most of the trip is without position updates - and since there must be several GPS satellites in view (3 required for actual GPS determination), it's likely not a problem for GPS receiving.

Placing phone in phone dock - may be some other interference or blockage as GuyDude suggested (tint). Also could be a problem with your phone's antenna.

Reactions: hcdavis3
Whenever I try to use my phone for GPS functionality with either Google maps or Waze, the phone losses gps signal at the center console, especially in the phone dock area. I really need to use Waze because it always helps me avoid traffic situations on my commute route. I have a pixel phone. Is there a solution to this problem? Is anyone else facing same problem?
Have same issue. Model 3 2018 (no tinted windows). Placing an iPhone 11ProMax on the center console looses the GPS signal. Placing the phone on the center armrest regains the signal.
read another post that the usb drive for the sentry or the usb expander are responsible for the interference. Will test soon