Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone Key preventing text message notifications?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For a while now I have this issue where my iPhone XS (iOS 13) produce a silent notification when I get a text message. The issue is intermittent, sometime when my friend text me I get the notification, sometimes the notification is silent. I still see the text in Notification Center, but no sound or vibration on either the iPhone or Apple Watch. I've checked all my phone and Apple Watch settings, everything is fine.

Well today I started to notice a pattern. Notification are silent when I'm in the living room! If I'm in the kitchen, I get vibration and sounds on my phone... Weird? Well turn out when I'm in the living room, my phone is in range of the car sitting outside, but not in the kitchen. I've try turning off Bluetooth and guess what, notification are no longer silent when I'm in the living room! That would also explain why I don't experience this issue at work...

Could a pure coincidence, but so far it's the only logical explanation I have. Has anyone experience something similar?

For a while now I have this issue where my iPhone XS (iOS 13) produce a silent notification when I get a text message. The issue is intermittent, sometime when my friend text me I get the notification, sometimes the notification is silent. I still see the text in Notification Center, but no sound or vibration on either the iPhone or Apple Watch. I've checked all my phone and Apple Watch settings, everything is fine.

Well today I started to notice a pattern. Notification are silent when I'm in the living room! If I'm in the kitchen, I get vibration and sounds on my phone... Weird? Well turn out when I'm in the living room, my phone is in range of the car sitting outside, but not in the kitchen. I've try turning off Bluetooth and guess what, notification are no longer silent when I'm in the living room! That would also explain why I don't experience this issue at work...

Could a pure coincidence, but so far it's the only logical explanation I have. Has anyone experience something similar?

Do you have a bluetooth speaker in/near the living room?

Nope! Only Apple Watch and Model 3 is listed in the bluetooth settings. See pic below. And I've already established the Apple Watch is not the issue. The device with random letters and number is tied to the Tesla Phone Key."Tesla Model 3" would be the media streaming.

45C10545-6D0C-4240-8E44-00780AE54787_1_102_o.jpeg

In the car, even though Bluetooth is not selected as the source, the iPhone attempts to play notification sounds over Bluetooth...so it might be sending to your car. If your car is locked, the audio system is it powered so hence your iPhone is not connected to your TM3.

Is your car locked when you are not receiving notifications?

Easy test. When you are receiving the notifications, open the Bluetooth menu in settings. See if the TM3 (or any other Bluetooth device other than your AW) is connected. Do the same for when you are not receiving the notifications. If they are different that is likely what is happening.

Now if your TM3 is locked *and* you are still connected to it in settings, that is another story.

Is your car locked when you are not receiving notifications?

Yes

Easy test. When you are receiving the notifications, open the Bluetooth menu in settings. See if the TM3 (or any other Bluetooth device other than your AW) is connected. Do the same for when you are not receiving the notifications. If they are different that is likely what is happening.

That's what I already did. When everything works, "S6dfedab34c65e52dC" is not connected. When notification are silent, "S6dfedab34c65e52dC" is connected. I assume "S6dfedab34c65e52dC" is the car phone key (which is consistent with what I see from the app).

"Tesla Model 3" is always disconnected, unless I'm in the car.