Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Picked up my 2023 AWD LR today....loud hum from front motor?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll bet it was...it had speed limited to 85 so most likely locked in chill or valet or whatever
My last P100D loaner was also limited to 85mph but it had Ludicrous Mode enabled...it was *in* Ludicrous Mode already when they handed me the key. 😁 I was like yeaaaahhh we can work with this while our P85 is in the shop! 👍

Then that poor P100D got torn up underneath by our roads. Literally twisted chunks of metal. (That is why we had to downsize wheels on both our Teslas.) Had to return the P100D early for safety repairs. I did get some solid miles on it before that happened though, including a long trip through the twisties, so I got a decent feel for its handling.

We still see that P100D around occasionally, it's still in their loaner fleet.

Update:
Scheduled my car for service in the next town, about an hour away. They had a convenient early Saturday appointment, and we were able to schedule a test drive on a model Y, which my wife prefers. This killed two birds with one stone as I wanted to drive another AWD Tesla to compare the motor noise. The model Y was *drastically* quieter from 0-50 mph. Cruising, accelerating, slowing down, all much much quieter. So my car is definitely abnormally loud.

I requested the tech ride with me to observe the noise. He acknowledged the noise and I told him about researching on the forums and how some owners found that tightening the ground strap(s) often fixed the issue and how there was even a service bulletin for replacing the ground strap on older models. I was hoping/expecting them to try this, since the last service center said "in spec"

While waiting in the lobby after test driving the MY, I checked my app, and it said:

Replace front drive unit: in progress.

Whoa! Well, looks like they are addressing the issue! Soon afterwards(maybe an hour???), I got a message that they had to keep the car until Monday. They gave us a model S loaner car. I asked for a Plaid. They laughed.

So fingers crossed that Monday/Tuesday my car will be fixed and as beautifully quiet as the MY we test drove.
I have the same issue with my M3LR ‘23. Will be telling them this next time I schedule a SC appt

Another service visit scheduled. Right front tire has dropped to 33 lbs for the third time now in about a month. Thought I'd give it a chance to settle down but it seems persistent. While I'm at it, I mentioned a bit of a rattle coming from the left front suspension over rough bumps. The rest of the car is rattle free, so this is the only area with a bit of a rattle so figured it might be worth taking a look at.