TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Pics: Solid Black vs Obsidian Black Metallic

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by zpacam, Aug 28, 2018.

1. zpacam

zpacam Member

I picked up my MX a few days ago and noticed they had a OBM Model 3 parked right next to a Solid Black Model S.

From a distance, the colors looked very similar. Upon closer inspection, I felt the Solid Black would be a better choice for those considering a "true" black car (in addition to being cheaper). The flakes in the OBM didn't pop as much as I thought they would.

Anyway, I snapped a few pictures from a couple different angles for comparison.

Attached Files:

• Like x 3
    • Helpful x 2
    • Informative x 1
  2. clicketyclack

clicketyclack Member

Which one is each in your pics?

3. Ultrasonic

Ultrasonic New Member

OBM is the Model 3. Black is the Model S.

4. ℬête Noire

ℬête Noire Active Member

#4 ℬête Noire, Aug 29, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
    You have to be right on top of it to see the individual flakes sparkle in the sunlight, closer than even those photos. It's also pretty clear why the Solid Black is the type of black that'll show just about any dust or soiling in the direct sun where as the flakes of the OBM do a great job of camouflaging that.

5. sperkin

sperkin Member

OBM looks good only when it's washed. Once dust sits on it then it looks like a normal black Model 3. I saw them both side by side at the Tesla Performance event and all Tesla employees told me not to spend the $1,500 since it looks like the free black. I agree, because I couldn't tell the 2 dusty black cars apart from 6 feet. Also, I prefer the regular black when it's washed because of the mirror like reflection. OBM is not as deep.

• Like x 3
  6. Ultrasonic

Ultrasonic New Member

Thanks very much for posting this....first side by side comparison I’ve seen.

7. Snow Drift

Snow Drift Slip Start: [Activated]

Obsidian has a nice metallic flake in the sun.

Here is a Model 3 waiting to be delivered to a lucky customer...

0j7b1WqGRkaTUp3Aj2sU8A.jpg

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  8. Abstrakt1

Abstrakt1 Member

The solid black catches my eye more, but I am colorblind so the subtleties are lost on my eyes.

9. jsrawa

jsrawa Member

I respectfully disagree. I really believe OBM will hold up better in the long run. Before I decided on OBM I went to a local SC and found two Model S on the lot in for service, one was basic black and the other was OBM. The vehicles looked about the same age and we're relatively near each other in terms of VIN. The basic black showed every single rock chip and swirl while I personally think the OBM hid it much better but it's all subjective. I will concede that from a distance they are difficult to decern between and even the Tesla employee couldn't tell me from a distance which was which. For me it was worth the 1K difference when I placed my order, I do think 1.5K is pushing it in terms of value.

10. plasmo

plasmo Member

I got my Model S in OBM.
    If I had to do it again, I would have gotten the solid black.
    OBM is very nice but noticable only when close up, and if it's sunny out. Otherwise, it is very difficult to tell the difference between solid black if you are far away.

11. ℬête Noire

ℬête Noire Active Member

"When dirty it looks like it's Solid Black, hiding the dirt & dings that Solid Black readily shows" is the very strength of OBM. The glittery stuff up close in the sunshine is just gravy.

12. Twiglett

Twiglett Single pedal driver

Mine is regular black but ir struck me that the close up of the OBM looks just like mine covered in dust :D

13. Harps

Harps New Member

great post... so the car on left side is model 3 and its Obsidian black right?

i want a solid black but i feel in your pics the model 3 looks like a more solid black

the model is too shiney