Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pixelated gradient on refresh Model S cluster screen?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I assume this is normal, but the gradient at the top of the refreshed Instrument Cluster is very pixelated. Makes the speed limit sign look dirty. Everyone else seeing the same?

Here shown on top of the autopilot nag:

p.jpeg

p.jpeg

Do you mind taking a picture of your dash for me that I can include in the warranty claim?

Hey again. So after looking more closely when driving today, the speed limit sign does show some weird artifacts in the sign. I'd never have noticed without really looking up close. I was more concerned with the imagery you showed around the speed limit sign. I suspect it would look the same if the screen were a light white/grey as in your image, but I don't know how to make such a tone appear there.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-11-06 at 3.13.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-06 at 3.13.04 PM.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 90
Wait. What? You said it is not normal here:

Nor does your screenshot have it.

It definitely does not seem normal.

Edit: never mind, saw your post about your own screen. That still looks, off. I still do not think it is "normal".
The big white gradient didn’t initially look normal. When I was informed it was the nag white screen of AP I looked more closely into it. I’ve since confirmed this is normal on two different new Model S refresh. If you look closely at the speed limit sign in your own car it shows this weird pattern on the sign, and it’s actually not pixelation so much as a design choice.

Reactions: cwanja
The big white gradient didn’t initially look normal. When I was informed it was the nag white screen of AP I looked more closely into it. I’ve since confirmed this is normal on two different new Model S refresh. If you look closely at the speed limit sign in your own car it shows this weird pattern on the sign, and it’s actually not pixelation so much as a design choice.
Thanks! I will take a look in a few weeks (hopefully) :) is it still pixelated when autopilot is not engaged?

Jumping back to an old topic, I confirmed the strange features in the screen are definitely not part of the image because they have depth. They are behind the image. You can move your head to see how they move relative to the image on the screen. Unless Tesla put in a 3d screen for some reason and didn't tell us... Not likely, I'd guess.

The only explanation I can think of is that maybe it's an OLED screen and they somehow have control over both transparency and brightness of each pixel? So, light colors are highly transparent, but if the brightness isn't very high, you can see through the screen?

Just a really strange design choice. I can't see why they would have picked this panel or installed it they way they did to cause this artifact.

Reactions: cwanja
Jumping back to an old topic, I confirmed the strange features in the screen are definitely not part of the image because they have depth. They are behind the image. You can move your head to see how they move relative to the image on the screen. Unless Tesla put in a 3d screen for some reason and didn't tell us... Not likely, I'd guess.

The only explanation I can think of is that maybe it's an OLED screen and they somehow have control over both transparency and brightness of each pixel? So, light colors are highly transparent, but if the brightness isn't very high, you can see through the screen?

Just a really strange design choice. I can't see why they would have picked this panel or installed it they way they did to cause this artifact.
I’ve seen it go a solid grey though on crashing…🤷🏻‍♂️