Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OTA upgrade on MCU1 today just messed up my car. Looking for insight

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, we have a 2015 85D still on MCU1 that was working just fine with the exception of a very slow browser we weren't using anyway. Never really saw software upgrades for the car before but I got an alert that one was available. So it took it. When we got back in the car the instrument cluster would not come on. Then, it came back on but had a message saying that a Software upgrade was required and to schedule a service? Now, buttons on steering wheel don't work correctly, can't scroll through menus or use the volume button and it will just stay on miles and not switch to percentage when changed on the main screen. Not sure what other problems exist though. We held down both scroll buttons to reboot but same condition persists with the same message. Here are my questions if anyone has insight:

1) Has anyone else had an issue like this before and what did you do?
2) Is there a way to just roll back the update and go back to what it was? My wife really didn't want to mess with anything and I think she would be most happy with that.
3) I'm out of warranty but since Tesla's update broke the thing, would they normally cover fixing it?

I know upgrading to MCU2 would be the logical thing to do but it's an expense that really is a repair for something Tesla pushed out. Just looking for some feedback before my service appointment.

Your update has likely failed in the middle of the update process. Good you can still get to anything I do not know if your year has this, but in the service menu, you can restart the update. Go to Software, and then hold down your car's model for about 5 seconds. A password screen should appear. Password is Service you should see the software upgrade option on the first page

Reactions: GSP
Your update has likely failed in the middle of the update process. Good you can still get to anything I do not know if your year has this, but in the service menu, you can restart the update. Go to Software, and then hold down your car's model for about 5 seconds. A password screen should appear. Password is Service you should see the software upgrade option on the first page
Thanx for the tip. I entered Service Mode but I don't see anything pertaining to the last software update. I see where I can reinstall some software though. Just not sure what the available software packages are and afraid of damaging it further. I'll have a look at it again later today. Thanx.

Thanx for the tip. I entered Service Mode but I don't see anything pertaining to the last software update. I see where I can reinstall some software though. Just not sure what the available software packages are and afraid of damaging it further. I'll have a look at it again later today. Thanx.
there's no choices, just same software re-install
should just say "software re-deploy"

Reactions: DerbyDave
Well, they finally called to tell me that the instrument cluster was failing and previous updates were masking this. They gave two options:
1) replace IC for $1500 or
2) upgrade to MCU2 for $1750.
Outraged that we have to pay this amount to fix a perfectly working car before they pushed an update they knew MCU1 couldn’t handle, we pushed back and they gave us a small discount t since we didn’t use the Uber credits they offered. So we opted for the obvious MCU2 upgrade. About $1550 before tax. When this warranty runs out, I won’t be doing anymore OTA updates since this is the end of the road for Gen 1 MS.

• Informative
Reactions: brainhouston
I just discovered this thread and the fact pattern nearly completely matches what happened to my car (2016 MS 90D with MCU1, HW3) with the additional complication that mine was totally bricked with no unlock/handles not presenting etc without an extensive remote reset operation by roadside assistance delaying me getting my kids to school for over an hour late and another occurrence locking me out in the sweltering sun right after I closed the driver door to go open my back door (luckily my kids were NOT in the back seat otherwise I would have had to break the window to get them out!!). I had previous deep sleep issues that I thought (and SC and remote diagnostics said) was MCU/eMMC related. They’ve been trying to get me to upgrade to MCU2 for years all the while promising a firmware update that would fix the issues and replacing the MCU1 with refurb along with the eMMC memory upgrade. Insane they wouldn’t cover the obviously bad component while it was under warranty event though NHTSA has documented that Tesla had evidence of the memory leak issues as far back as 2018. I had the MCU2 upgrade done last week and just served Tesla legal a letter demanding reimbursement for that work and I’m prepared to pursue in arbitration or in small claims if they don’t do the right thing and pay out. This is not just a slowness of the infotainment issue it is a basic safety and usability issue and really requires a full recall action!