Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Please confirm remote live sentry view is NOT available on Model S 2020 and Android app in USA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In December 2021, Tesla started installing an upgraded accelerated processing unit (APU) in the newly-built Tesla Model 3 and Model Y cars — the AMD RDNA 2-based Ryzen APU. Before this upgrade, Tesla Model 3 and Model Y used to have the basic low-level Intel Atom graphics processing unit (GPU)

Tesla Model 3 and Model Y used to have Intel Atom

This is completely correct!

And this is exactly what @Jonnymack74 was referring to.

Forget about 3's and Y's with MCUz (AMD Ryzen) for a minute.

Model 3 and Model Y with the Intel Atom do have Live Sentry Mode and the Automatic Blind Spot Camera feature. And this is the EXACT same Intel Atom you can find inside MCU2's in Legacy S and X's.

This is not a matter of the difficulty in "maintaining" a few lines of code for 2 different branches of vehicles, it's a matter of scheduled obsolescence. Tesla is clearly not in the business of improving legacy vehicles... they are in the business of selling new vehicles.

I do agree that the Legacy platform has seen many upgrades and improvements through firmware updates throughout their lifetime, which is something that no other car manufacturer has ever done before... (the car you bought was the car you got).

I'm just focusing on the fact that Tesla can easily, and I do mean easily, implement the Live Sentry Mode and the Automatic Blind Spot Camera feature, as well as other software features like Sentry Mode when Dog Mode is active, on its Legacy vehicles, but they just don't want to. Plain and simple.

They know they have a substancial customer base that always want the latest and greatest and are even willing to pay for it by trading or upgrading to a newer Tesla.

The cars continually evolve hardware-wise, and that changes what's possible software-wise. It's very likely 2020 and earlier cars lack hardware that's necessary for live view.
Well, don’t let anyone telling you that and stop spreading this too.
Why a 2020 MS/X does not have those safety & security features (we are not only lacking live sentry mode but also blind spot cam…) but a (way cheaper) 2017/2018 M3 has it has nothing to do with HW or tech in general or that non sens of “legacy” term is ridiculous and should not be used by Tesla owners in the first place because it has all to do with Tesla and their marketing strategy!
We have the same MCU2! Still they opted to exclude the supposedly flagship!
The hacker Green said the feature was there for us in the code…it is just not enabled! Need more
Explanation?

Well, don’t let anyone telling you that and stop spreading this too.
Why a 2020 MS/X does not have those safety & security features (we are not only lacking live sentry mode but also blind spot cam…) but a (way cheaper) 2017/2018 M3 has it has nothing to do with HW or tech in general or that non sens of “legacy” term is ridiculous and should not be used by Tesla owners in the first place because it has all to do with Tesla and their marketing strategy!
We have the same MCU2! Still they opted to exclude the supposedly flagship!
The hacker Green said the feature was there for us in the code…it is just not enabled! Need more
Explanation?
Yes, this definitely needs more explanation. Just because the feature is in the code doesn’t not mean it’s possible with the hardware on those cars. Beyond mcu2, what else is exactly the same?

Other than the AP3 -and it does not need to.
People forget but sentry mode came with MCU1 and AP2.5. At that time AP2 cars were excluded. I know, my car is a April 2017 MCU1+AP2 MX.
That sentry mode was just the screen warning and the recording. Later on Tesla introduced the recording on honk, visualisation, the red dot, delete function only for MCU2 cars, still with AP2.5 as a requirement. The reason I have all those features is because I got upgraded with a MCU 2(not w/o a costly price ~CAD $4k) and AP3.
Now the true explanation you (we all) should have is how a 2017/2018 old M3 and 2019MY got features that even 2020 MS/X (latest year of so-called legacy car - pure insulting terminology here! ) don’t have ?! Aren’t those MS/X more recent, aren’t they supposedly Tesla flagships (luxury and SUV -as they like to call It?), aren’t they 2 to 3 times more expensive? Aren’t they the same Atom intel processor? Yes, too all those!

So you got it by now, there is no explanation they can give you because it has not logic other than on a marketing strategic standpoint they don’t care about pissing off those owners - they count for less than 10-15% (made up numbers but should not be too off) of though) the fleet…who cares, right?!

It annoys me because for those like me who upgraded to MCU 2, the postulate was you will have parity with all recent cars (minus features related to other hardware like adaptive/damping suspension,etc….) - well this was a lie!
Some people will come with that silly argument “well Tesla never promise you any additional features after buying the car or the upgrade” while this is true it is a matter of fairness: as long you keep developing on a hardware, give the features to all owners of that hardware don’t pick and choose who deserve and who does not specially when those who spend the most end up being left out…this is a mockery. Period!

BTW, For those who bought their MX/S in 2020 they got to the nice surprise in realising the refresh was announced few months after (that is another issue on its own) but worse, they start missing out features in an official and shamelessly fashion way but older, less expensive models had those! By the way, this is not the first instance Tesla does not give MS/X the same features than M3/Y (aside the obvious design specificities…). The only difference is that they are making it clearly in our face since new MS/X went out…
The whole thing is a joke. Tesla just ruined the whole OTA experience. Consequently, these days I don’t look forward for any update because it has been a source of frustration since last Christmas…
Even the new light show? Not offered to “legacy” MX???! No that I care but this is a mesquin move at its best - who did have that Christmas light first? Now suddenly those cars are not capable of turning on and off their lights and opening/closing their doors anymore? But a M3 and Y that can only open their boot can? So upsetting!
I don’t like the design of the M3/Y but if I thought about buying the MX plaid, I am not planning to do so anymore…just waiting to see them start missing out on features in next 2, 3 years max while 2022 M3/Y will still have those latest features… I am in for a good laugh!
Meanwhile, I feel the Rivian can be a more versatile car…love it. I wish they had their own software identity though… their layout/design looks like a fade sad copy/paste of Tesla’s! Why buying a sad copy if you can have the original that is way better!!!
For instance their autopilot looks like Tesla’s but is truly a farce compared to the original.
Hopefully it gets better and once the case I switch…I love my MX but Tesla frustrated me too much!

Last edited:
Well, the hardware and wiring in the 2020 S are NOT the same as the Model 3/Y of the same vintage. One obvious example that the 3/Y is a later design is it supports a 9th cabin camera. The 2020 S hardware has no input for this camera. Cabin camera support was added in the 2021-2023 LR/Plaid with entirely new hardware that leaps beyond the 3/Y. I expect Tesla will continue to have some new model (Cybertruck?) exceed the hardware of prior cars for a while with new features we will not get, and then later other new cars will leap ahead. The fact that we even get some new features is impressive. No other car maker does anything like it. Anyway, it's not at all clear that the old S/X MCU2 supports directing video into the cellular connection. Likely wasn't a big effort to add in hardware, but with the constant changes Tesla makes, I suspect it did not make it into MCU2/AP hardware for the older S/X.

I don't see this as some marketing trick as a few here seem to think. For example, the dashcam feature was added to MCU1/HW2 cars that had the AP3 upgrade. It works like crap because MCU1 doesn't have enough processing power to do the job. Tesla should have just disabled the feature for MCU1.

Other than the AP3 -and it does not need to.
People forget but sentry mode came with MCU1 and AP2.5. At that time AP2 cars were excluded. I know, my car is an April 2017 MCU1+AP2 MX….
This all reads very light on actual facts and long on marketing conspiracy theories and assumptions purely based on “2020 is later than 2017” and “s/x are supposed to be flagships.”

You have not stated any facts on the actual hardware architecture of the cars beyond mcus and ap computers were are big parts of the equations but still only part of the equation.

I understand you’re upset and that’s your prerogative but there’s little in your argument than “it should be” and “since it’s not it’s an intentional slight.”

Most things are simpler and, amusingly, dumber than conspiracy theories.

It's all speculation in terms of pros and cons. What is known is that 2/3 year old S/X have the same hardware chips as M3 with live view and also blind spot.

I'd think it's probably more of a ball ache to get it ready UX wise with the vertical screen, and perhaps the vertical screen plus the driver display combined utilises more bandwidth than the single screen of model 3s with the same chip. Again.. Speculation, that is until some Tesla engineer pops up with a definitive answer

It's all speculation in terms of pros and cons. What is known is that 2/3 year old S/X have the same hardware chips as M3 with live view and also blind spot.

I'd think it's probably more of a ball ache to get it ready UX wise with the vertical screen, and perhaps the vertical screen plus the driver display combined utilises more bandwidth than the single screen of model 3s with the same chip. Again.. Speculation, that is until some Tesla engineer pops up with a definitive answer

Agree. Also, are the 2/3 year old S/X migrated to LTE or still on 3G? Bandwidth will also be an issue for things like live view for sure.

All cars with MCU2 have LTE. Even later versions of MCU1 has LTE. Not sure when LTE became available. Sometime before 2016. That said, LTE hardware changed over the years with a number of improvements. I suspect better bandwidth with later versions.

Reactions: jlv1
2020 MS Performance here. It bugs crap out of me too we don't have the blind spot nor remote sentry. Sold my M3 to upgrade to newer S and hate seeing held out just because. SMH

Let's start a petition! lol.

I will say I have faith and believe in time it will be enabled, especially if the code is there dormant. Maybe positive reinforcement will help motivate.

Holiday update. Let's at least keep verbally mentioning it. Where can we post requests. I already sent Musk message on X.